Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Tiger 60 moving forward ! but s l o w l y

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tiger 60 moving forward ! but s l o w l y

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 02:44 PM
Walfam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger 60 moving forward ! but s l o w l y

just some small questions that this group will answer in a NY Second.

first. Can I install my servos in the wings prior to covering and then cut the hole for the sevro after I get the covering on?

second: was reading a post where they said to install your hinges first and pin them prior to covering. This make sense to me, but most of the books say put you hinges after you cover the wing? either way works???? I do know that if the hinges are already in the wing when you
cover the wing you are going to have to cut out for the hinges in place. little extra work but if it is necessary then do it.

third: I am getting ready to put the fuse together tonight it looks simple enough but I want to check fit and function ....... the instructions do a good job here on a whole on what to look out for ... with that said, should I match the wing to the fuse before i cover the wing ? or after?

Fourth: I have worked out an awesome detailing on the aft fuse and tailfeathers that works so nice with the existing detailing on the wing and behind the canopy.... When I get it do
I will get some pics going. We are planning to get a digital camera shortly..... and then I can
send so pics.

Thanking youall in advance.

Old 06-23-2004, 12:17 AM
bojangle

Default RE: Tiger 60 moving forward ! but s l o w l y

If you are using "CA" hinges, you make the slots first and trial fit the hinges then you remove them for covering. You have to cut away the covering to re-install and glue the hinges.

The "pinned" hinges are best installed before covering. Some install toothpicks through the hinge leaves.

Check the wing to saddle fit before covering. You may have to sand the saddle a bit for a good fit and alignment.

For the dual aileron servos, make the mounting box, cut holes in the ribs for the servo leads. Most put in a string before covering to pull the leads through, I install 1/2" paper tubes.

Bob
Old 06-23-2004, 08:34 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Walfam

first. Can I install my servos in the wings prior to covering and then cut the hole for the sevro after I get the covering on?
No. The servo is higher than the covering, so it would hold the covering up like a tent pole. You could slit the covering and align the slit over the servo, but why go through all that hassle?

Just remove the servo (tie a string to the servo wire and pull it through so you can use the string toguide the wire back), cover the wing, and slit the covering at the servo opening when done (See pic)

second: was reading a post where they said to install your hinges first and pin them prior to covering. This make sense to me, but most of the books say put you hinges after you cover the wing? either way works???? I do know that if the hinges are already in the wing when you cover the wing you are going to have to cut out for the hinges in place. little extra work but if it is necessary then do it.
Pinning hinges is seldom necessary. Cover the plane first, then follow this "How To" for installing the Hinges (If you're using CA Hinges):

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...TOKEN=55428108

If you really want to pin them afterward, push a pin into the bottom of - let's say, the elevator. When you feel the pin hit the hinge, press slowly until you feel the pin just break through the hinge and stop pushing. Then, using a pair of side cutters, cut the remaining pin off so there's just a little stub protruding. Push that stub until it jus goes under the surface. Now the hinge is pinned, and the only thing showing is a pin-hole on the underside.

third: I am getting ready to put the fuse together tonight it looks simple enough but I want to check fit and function ....... the instructions do a good job here on a whole on what to look out for
Make sure that the bottom and sides of the Fuse are straight and square, AND STAY THAT WAY! Especially at the rear! With a Goldberg design, I like to nail down the bottom of the fuse to the workbench (Yes... NAIL DOWN - with small finishing nails - pins aren't strong enough). Add the sides and top, and MAKE SURE they are Square! (The tail has a habit of twisting to one side or the other)

... with that said, should I match the wing to the fuse before i cover the wing ? or after?
Cover after the fit. If you're getting anxious, you could cover the wing first as the fuse will get most of the sanding.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68523.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	146478  
Old 06-23-2004, 08:53 AM
Walfam

man these guys are good!

thanks
Old 06-23-2004, 08:54 AM
Walfam

man these guys are good!

thanks
Old 06-23-2004, 02:10 PM
Walfam

I one more question, when you are sanding the wing saddle to match up, how does one insure that the
wing is level to the plane. What i mean is if you were looking down the front of the plane the left and right wings would be
level to the fuse. I know the dihedral makes it difficult otherwise one could just use a right angle to the fuse ???

My fear is sanding one side two much over the other. Can levels be use or what is that magic trick you guys use?
Old 06-24-2004, 09:31 AM
conradj87

you could measure the distance from the wingtips to the center of the fuse. If they're both equal its level.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:28 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is really not that critical. As long as it looks square, it'll be fine.

What IS important is that the Stab and wing are parallel to each other.

So just sand the wing saddle till it looks good (Don't worry about getting ALL of the gaps out. You can do that after it's covered by using the Silicon technique)

Just make sure that when you epoxy the Stab and Fin to the Fuse, they align perfectly with the WING.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60078.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	146896