Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Hobby Hanger kit quality

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hobby Hanger kit quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 04:05 PM
corcguy
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Hanger kit quality

I am considering buying a laser cut short kit of Uravitch's 81" OV-10 Bronco from Hobby Hanger. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has purchased this or any other laser cut kit from HH. How is material quality, turnaround time, etc?
Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks guys, Dick L.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:56 PM
paero-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

Default Hobby Hanger

I purchased a Hobby Hanger "One Design" from them several years ago at Toledo. Laser cut. Balsa quality is good, laser cutting is good. Too bad the parts don't fit well. I've made many new ones and actually have it sitting here in fromt of me half done.....haven't touched it in a year I so disappointed. For what they get for it, I think you'd be better off looking a while longer or buying the plans and plastic from Rich directly and cutting your own kit. That way if the parts don't fit you have no one to blame but yourself.
Old 07-13-2002, 02:11 AM
corcguy
My Feedback: (5)

Thank you for your respnse. I'm sorry you are stuck in your situation but it may help me to avoid the same. It would be nice to have HH respnd to your critique but that may be to much to expect these days.

Thanks again, Dick L.
Old 07-14-2002, 04:44 AM
smokinT
My Feedback: (6)

I built the little OV10 Bronco from HH. Very good wood and good laser cutting. Instructions were sketchy and photos were terrible. I have the plans for the big one and am going to buy the short kit and try it as well. A cool looking plane that really is easy to build.

Todd
Old 07-17-2002, 11:53 AM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

I purchased the Hobby Hanger kit of the Adrian Page Gee Bee Z before Adrian took back the rights to it. The HH kit was outstanding in my opinion but their customer service S*CKED!

They charged my credit card and then did not ship the kit because the plastic parts where not available. I would have appreciated an email, letter or phone call explaining this important information. And it might just be illegal to charge a credit card with no intention of shipping the product--but I'm not a lawyer. After numerous unanswered emails and calls to Hobby Hanger, they finally told me my kit was on the way. (about 5 weeks later) Inside the box was a note stating that the plastic would be sent later. About 3 weeks later the parts arrived but no decal sheet. More attempts to contact Hobby Hanger finally produced my decals. So, two months after I paid for the kit, I had the complete order.

Taking my money with no product shipment, plus evasive communication leads me to cease doing business with Hobby Hanger.

Yak
Old 07-17-2002, 01:43 PM
PHILLCO
My Feedback: (6)

I DON'T KNOW IF THIS PERTAINS TO THIS BUT I HAVE SEEN ONE OF THESE FLY AND BROTHER IT FLYS NICE AND LOOKS GOOD TOO.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:34 PM
michpittsman
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Hobby Hanger

a
...or you could blame the guy that drew the plans. I bought a full wood kit from PCK (Larry Katona) and it was beautiful; parts matched plans perfectly-only problem was the plans had so many flaws it wasn't funny(M.A.N.); holes wrong diameter in wrong place for wing dowels-all three places; had to trim lots of parts to size. Very disappointed. Lots of opportunuties for the design-it-yourselfers. Jim
Old 09-29-2003, 12:51 PM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Hobby Hanger kit quality

I also bought the Gee Bee Z and a Gee Bee R1. After the purchase I talked to other builders. The word was that I was better off scratch building. Lazer cutting is great if the part fits but worthless if it doesn't. I bought a scratch built one of each from swaps and my kits sit on the shelf.
Mr Page would have most likley continued his association with Hobby Hangar if his kits did well. Many dissappointed modlers must have convinced him to take control and redeem his good name.