Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
 Help for Sig SkyBolt >

Help for Sig SkyBolt

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Help for Sig SkyBolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for Sig SkyBolt

I am going to build an older Sig Skybolt. I don't like a number of the features of the original plan: the single servo and bellcranks for the ailerons, the plastic turtle deck for example.
I have a Saito 91 RK and wonder if I best mount it up or at 90?
I sure would like a few pointers and some help penciling in the changes to the wing for the servos.
TT
Old 06-30-2004, 04:37 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help for Sig SkyBolt

We're in the same boat, TT. I posted an engine question regarding mine and received a whopping one reply. Guess there aren't that many out there today.

I got mine off Fleabay. Before I bid on this NIB kit, I called Sig to see if there were any plans to bring it out again. Absolutely not, they said.

Check out the top of page 85 in the current issue of RCM. Perhaps somebody in Sig's advertising department knows something???

Anyway, this puppy is definitely a builder's kit. I'm debating on replacing that plastic turtledeck with wood, too. I'm building a Kougar right now, which uses the same arrangement. I'll see how that works out for me before deciding. Gotta finish it before I start the SkyBolt, anyway.

When do you plan on starting yours?

Old 06-30-2004, 05:45 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I have one in bones waiting for covering. I will be mounting an Enya .80-head out the left when facing the craft. I have used this arraingment on most of my recent planes. I like to hide the head in the wide side of the cowl. If it were completely inclosed by inverting it I fear drowning the plug. Four strokes are much more tolerant of inverted mounting than 2 strokes but I won't take the chance. Since I'm using an enya I have to use a remote glow setup.
Are you using koverall and dope?
Old 06-30-2004, 06:26 PM

There are many details yet to be decided.

I am thinking of taking the kit with me and building indoors in my downtime on a business trip. Something about hot Norman Oklohoma weather and not wanting to get stuck into the boob tube. I must box the bones for the trip home. No big deal.

I am happy there are others building this kit. My club has seen quite a few over the years. Bob Lilly from the manual was a Flying Electron, my club. Just he's pass over the horizon never to come this way again. I even have a lead on a super builder that may give me an answer or two to questions I have.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:46 AM

TT123,

Did you ever turn up any more info?
Old 12-08-2004, 04:52 PM

Hey guys,
I just bought a used SkyBolt, with a little damage. A friend who does a lot of
silk & dope is repairing it for me. I posted a question about engine size, as well,
and it generated several comments about the Super SkyBolt...

I have recently aquired my first 4 stroke (OS FL-.70) and needless to say,
I believe it will be difficult to justify the purchase of a 2 cycle in the future.
I'm torn between another .70 or the Saito .82. I thought OS made an .82, but
I don't see it listed in my usual listings.

My SkyBolt has a servo mounted under each half of the lower wing, with push
rods to the upper aileron. If I were building one, thats the way I would do it.

I have had a Kougar & a Taurus tickling the back of brain for some time...

Johnny C!
Old 12-08-2004, 05:44 PM
My Feedback: (7)

I have a Sig Skybolt that I built probably 20 years ago. I have always flown it with a 2 cycle O.S. .61 side mounted. There is no good reason not to use the plastic turtledeck. It is a great flying plane, the only bad habit it has it that it will stall on landing without warning, so keep the landing speed up and you will be fine. Top wing aileron flutter limited it to two ailerons but still flew great. Mine is set up with bellcranks which is ok but if I were to build it today I would put a servo on each aileron.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:57 PM

I have an uncle who built one 15 years ago , single servo for 4 aielerons, works perfect, no need to change anything at all.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:54 PM

Thanks, fellows.

I have searched and printed all the older threads about this vintage model, but any fresh ideas/tips are always appreciated.

Mr. Scale, I'm waffling right now on what engine to put in mine. I have an OS 61 FSR that I know will do fine, but several remarks about necessary added nose weight in those older threads make me wonder if the extra weight of a 91 four stroke would be put to good use?
Old 12-08-2004, 09:38 PM

my uncle has OS 91 Surpass in his with 3 blade prop.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:26 PM

Sure, the 91 4 stroke would be a great choice. I did have to add a small amount of lead to the nose of mine as well. Sorry but I do not agree with gp300 on the aileron issue. I have seen several of these over the years, especially years ago when they were very popular, having problems with top wing aileron problems. There is no need in asking for problems, I strongly recommend that you go to the dual servo set up, if nothing else it is cheap insurance.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:19 AM

Mr. Scale, can you expand upon the top aileron flutter problem? Keeping in mind that I would be using CA hinges and a sealed cotrol surface/wing gap, why would I NOT want to fit the upper aileron?
Old 12-10-2004, 04:20 PM

Using the upper ailerons is ok and will give you improved flight performance. My point is to use a servo on each side in the bottom wing. One servo in the center of the bottom wing driving all four ailerons is not a robust enough design to preclude flutter. That is what I meant by the dual servo set up in the previous reply. Hope this helps.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:42 PM

That's what I thought. I'm definitely going to use two aileron servos.

Thanks.