Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Kavalier

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Kavalier

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 08:17 PM
beardelight
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Kavalier

I am not really experienced in building, but I helped my grandfather build a Kadet Senior back when I was a kid. I am about to undertake this project and I was wodering if there was anything that I need to know or any tips anyone might have.

Thanks,
Beardelight
Old 07-02-2004, 12:18 AM
bojangle

Default RE: Sig Kavalier

My only advice is to read the manual completely through (twice) before starting. Build it exactly as instructed, take your time and build it straight. Forget modifications on your first kit, just build it and fly it.

Sig kits are great, you should have no problems.

Bob
Old 07-02-2004, 10:52 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bear,

I'm not that experienced in kit building either, and I'm about 85% done with my Kavalier. I partially built 2 sailplanes many years ago and a lot of rubber powered balsa planes when I was a kid.

The Kavalier is exactly what they call it- a craftsman kit. You have to cut, sand, and shape just about everything. I've learned a lot with this kit. I'm building mine with most of the dihedral in the wings. Some people build them with none. I am going to modify mine for pine blocks for the main gear with nylon bolts.

Read the instruction book and build it as they suggest. There are a few places where it becomes confusing, but it isn't a showstopper. They show W2 on the wing as being built when you fit the wing to the fuselage, but it hasn't been built yet by the instructions. Also, the back sheeting in the center section of the wing top is done last. It needs something under the sheeting edges to support the sheeting edges and isn't in the instructions. I put something under that section for support. The tail is glued to a slot that you cut out later, but you hit a cross piece under the sheeting in the frame and that isn't in the book. I cut a notch in the tail and it actually gives more structural support. An 8 oz tank is going to be a tight fit, so plan on that early. WARNING: Sig shipped oversized torque rods with my kit. I called them and they sent smaller ones for free. If yours looks too big, they are too big.

The plane is going to be nose heavy, so plan on that. I put my servo tray as far back as possible. I may be able to put the batteries/receiver behind those, but the control rods may prevent it.

I'm putting a Saito .56 4 stroke on the plane, and the cowl will be too short without mods.

Let me know how the building goes. I hope to fly mine next weekend if all goes well.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:16 PM
beardelight
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks blwblw and bojangle,

I will take all those tips into consideration when I build my kit. I am have read over the istructions four times, and I can't wait until I get the plane in the air. I will keep you posted. Do you have any pics of the building process. I will put mine up as I go.

Thanks again,

Beardelight
Old 07-13-2004, 09:47 PM
blw

I cut some small squares of 1/8 ply and epoxied them over the wing bolt holes on the top of the wing. I then sanded the edges with a sanding drum on the Dremel. It should be not more than 2 bumps under the Ultracoat, but I felt that the small section of ply at the trailing edge that the instructions call for as inadequate.

Another problem that could be important before you get too far into the fuselage build- Look at the wing block placement carefully. It is misleading in the book. The blocks should be glued back against the former F3 and not 1/2" forward as in one dipiction.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:54 PM
blw

The Kavalier flew today. I had someone who had built 2 of them do the maiden flight. It is almost a hands off plane. The first thing I noticed is how it tracks steady and straight. Very easy to land and it lands with a little nose up attitude that is nice. It rolls and loops great. I did a stall turn with it and it does that very good. I think I was flying with 65% rates for the most part, but 75% aileron and rudder is comfortable. This is an easy flying plane that looks like it will be fun for a long time.

The Saito .56 has plenty of power with good vertical power.