Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

best J-3 CUB KIT . 40 - 90

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

best J-3 CUB KIT . 40 - 90

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 04:54 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default best J-3 CUB KIT . 40 - 90

THERE are so many of these out there, what is the best one?

sig , greatplanes, goldberg etc . model airplane news should do a shootout.

thanks

Dan
Old 07-07-2004, 07:28 PM
highace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: best J-3 CUB KIT . 40 - 90

Hello,

I have a Goldberg Cub that i am re covering and fixing after a bit of damage. Having a look at the construction it is build pretty solid. Im gonna recover in a red and white scheme, the same as a full size Cub i flew in New Zealand.
It has the full span not the clipped wing. Im planning to put my ASP .65 fs on the front end if i can get it cleaned up and serviced. Hard to do that here in Aus (gotta find someone who can do it) or i have TT .46 to put on it.
Good to just float around in the sky.

Ace
Old 07-07-2004, 08:16 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sig's 1/5 scale is all laser cut. 84.5" WS Plenty of scale details - the door opens etc.
Quantum is selling them for $132.99. http://www2.mailordercentral.com/quantummodels/
Look under Sig Aircraft on page 4

John
Old 07-07-2004, 11:50 PM
Jeepindog

A second on the SIG 1/5 scale Cub. It handles very well on the ground, and even better in the air. It lands like a big Cub: you need a little power to fly it to the runway. It builds straight and true, and it will take off on its own without trying to jump into the air and stall. Best flying Cub I've ever seen. There are lots of Cubs in my club, and everyone always comments on how well mine looks, handles, and flies. Go with the best- SIG!!!

Lachlan
Old 07-08-2004, 12:06 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

The goldberg is built like a brick outhouse but I never liked the parts fit, nor does it really look scale. The next one up would be a Great planes cub, better builder and more scale. I agree that the Sig cub is really the best but it's a builders kit so be fore warned.

Old 07-08-2004, 01:27 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've built the Sig 1/5 and yes as Art said, it can be a builder - but not too bad as the laser cut parts speed up assembly. I still have mine if that means anything

Jerry
Old 07-08-2004, 05:03 PM
WhiteRook

hi Art, the greatplanes has a semi sym wing i think, correct me if i;m wrong, or check with your krispies, he ha.

what power plant would be best with the SIG ? 1/5

thanks

Dan[8D]
Old 07-09-2004, 01:03 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

.52 FS is very scale like.....and go UP from there depending on your type of flying.

Jerry
Old 07-09-2004, 07:06 PM
WhiteRook

i dont havea four stroke, so i will prob use a fox 74 or a 61 sf
Old 07-09-2004, 10:05 PM
bojangle

I built the GP Cub 40 version, was very pleased with the kit quality and building ease. I did make one dumb mistake. The plans called for single aileron servo with bellcranks. It flies ok, but someday I will strip off the bottom covering a bit and replace with dual servos. I may have to add chokes as the extensions will be long. (Although if I remember correctly from my electronics days, twisting the leads might avoid any inductive coupling of the conductors. )

I especially liked the snap in side windows and preformed windshield. They all took dye to a uniform gray color. The cowling was an ABS part, but I lined it with thin fiberglass. I finished with Monokote and Lustrekote paint, I would have preferred fabric but have had little experience with it. If you got the big bucks, GP now has a fabric ARF version with fiberglass cowl and dual servos.

I didn't like the cheapie tail wheel strut that plugs into the rudder, replaced with a tiller arm version. If I were to build another Cub, it would probably be the GP as I don't have time or patience anymore for stick built, but have heard great things about the Sig.

Bob
Old 07-09-2004, 11:38 PM
Jeepindog

The SIG 1/5 scale Cub is *NOT* a "stick-built" kit. In fact, about the only sticks that need to be cut are the stiffeners in the tail surfaces and the top of the fuselage. The main pieces of the tail surfaces are all laser cut. The majority of the fuse is slab balsa and some ply. The cabin is the same. Very few sticks, really. Build one and you won't regret it. With the two-piece wing it retains the scale lines of the fuse where it meets the top of the cabin. It just plain looks pretty!

Lachlan
Old 07-10-2004, 08:58 AM
Dano13

ORIGINAL: Jeepindog

The SIG 1/5 scale Cub is *NOT* a "stick-built" kit. In fact, about the only sticks that need to be cut are the stiffeners in the tail surfaces and the top of the fuselage. The main pieces of the tail surfaces are all laser cut. The majority of the fuse is slab balsa and some ply. The cabin is the same. Very few sticks, really. Build one and you won't regret it. With the two-piece wing it retains the scale lines of the fuse where it meets the top of the cabin. It just plain looks pretty!

Lachlan
I agree 100%!!
Here is what the fuse looks like nearing completion.
http://dano13.rchomepage.com/cub.html

dano13
Old 07-10-2004, 06:24 PM
WhiteRook

hey bojang , i think your thinkin of the sig senior
Old 07-10-2004, 06:28 PM
WhiteRook

great pics Dano , IS THAT a plug in wing ? almost looks looks like it.

thanks

Dan
Old 07-10-2004, 07:01 PM
Dano13

ORIGINAL: typhoonfury

great pics Dano , IS THAT a plug in wing ? almost looks looks like it.

thanks

Dan
Yes it is. A two piece wing assembly with aluminum joiner tubes that actually requires the wing struts also. The top center of the fuse (where the view window is) comes out to attach/detach the wing halves from the main fuse. While I have only those pics of the fuse, if anyone wants pics of any other parts, a glimpse of the plans, etc., I would be happy to help. I am planning to begin wing construction some time this coming week, so I can even take pics of it's progress, if wanted.

dano
Old 07-11-2004, 03:42 AM
hopkimf
My Feedback: (56)

How about the Balsa USA 1/4 scale Cub? I have one waiting to be built, and have not heard much good or bad about it.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Dano13

ORIGINAL: typhoonfury

i dont havea four stroke, so i will prob use a fox 74 or a 61 sf
If these are two stroke, I honestly think they are WAY to much for the plane. I don't think you will like it. The specs call for a .40 to .46 two stroke or .45 to .65 four stroke. It's a Cub, don't over power it.

dano13
Old 07-12-2004, 01:06 AM
dabigboy

Wow, that Sig looks nice. From what people are saying, sounds like it's a pretty accurate model? I think the Sig is going to be my next Cub model, although I have no idea when that will happen as I currently am about to drop $$$ into tricking out a couple of my existing planes. That's just about the size I was thinking of, wouldn't have to drop money into heavy duty servos like I might on a 1/4 scale.......mmm this plane would be sweet with a 4-stroke .52 Surpass. I wonder if it would be practical to open the area behind the cabin windows to make an L-4? This thought has crossed my mind before but I'm afraid of weakening the structure.

With the fixed wing root area, and door opening, seems like this plane would accept scale details well.

-Matt Bailey
Old 07-12-2004, 08:46 AM
Dano13

It will look much nicer when it's finished!
The acurracy seems to be as good as many of the 1/4 scale (kit or arf) Cubs out there. For the servos, the standard servos that come with a radio purchase will work. I went one step better and ordered the fight pack with the ball bearing servos.

I have seen several posts about a .52 to .56 four stroke. They fly very scale-like. It is right in the middle of the recommended range of .45 to .65 fs. I would LOVE to be able to afford a fs for mine, but the wife says no. Looks like my TT 46 pro will come off the trainer when I am ready. As for the L-4 conversion, I would never try it, but an experienced builder may be able to come up with a suitable way to maintain the structural integrity.

The size of the model does lend itself well to adding some details. And the detail on the decals is even quite nice. I'll post a few pics of a few, the instrument panel, the little Cub bear logo, etc. I'm not out to make mine a show piece, but I am wanting to add some details myself. The problem is, while there is a great deal to be found on the HISTORY of the Cub, many technical and visual details are hard to find. One of the details I would like to add is the step, and the lift handle at the rear of the fuse. These would be sooo easy to make, but I cannot find any good pics of what they look like. Oh, well, I'm taking it slow, as time permits, so maybe I'll get lucky...

dano13
Old 07-12-2004, 03:46 PM
WhiteRook

thanks for the engine advise dano
Old 07-13-2004, 02:02 AM
dabigboy

Have you checked out Bob Banka's photo packs? The sample on their site is a Cub in fact. They appear to hit detail areas nicely. http://www.bobsairdoc.com/ Of course the ideal solution would be to find an airport that has a Cub and see if the owner will let you measure and photograph.

-Matt Bailey
Old 07-13-2004, 10:25 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Dano13:
Here are a couple of picts of the foot step plus an interesting 3-view. Do an internet Google search on Piper J3 or Piper Cub, or Clipped wing cub, etc. and you will get lots to look at. Also do the same search on www.airliners.net by using that sites search function and step back....tons of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32405.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	153205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64123.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	153206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20962.gif
Views:	30
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	153207  
Old 07-13-2004, 10:33 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I still have a great planes 60 size cub with a fourstroke and its a pleasure to fly..the sig is equally as well a nice plane but it is definitely a builders plane so I vote for gp..I love cubs and now that I have gotten more into gas I am planning a cub with a G26.If you want to show up with a big one get balsa usa ..again plan on building alot of parts.!!but theres nothing like the flight of a cub ...
Old 07-13-2004, 11:13 AM
Dano13

dabigboy,
thanks for the link. but $30 cannot be justified at this point.

GarySS,
Thnks for the pic, and will take your advice. I had been using Alta Vista for my seraches. Maybe google will come up with better results.

I wish I could go to the Wings Over Piper event next month, but PA is a long way from TX. [>:]

cloudancer03,
while the Sig 1/4 and 1/6 kits are "builders", much of the discussion here has been about the 1/5 scale due to it's ease of construction, even for a first time builder such as myself. I am not knocking any other brands, I have no experience with them. My LHS is heavy into Sig, so I was able to actually LOOK at all three Sig kits in one place, at the same time. Wasn't a hard choice at all for a first time build.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this thread into a "mine is better than your's" situation, so I will sit back and follow the thread unless some has any comments or questions about the 1/5 that I can answer.

Cheers!

dano13
Old 07-14-2004, 10:08 PM
Jeepindog

I need to get the William Wallace landing gear for my 1/5 scale. The stock wire soldered together looks ok, but it is as stiff as a corpse! I really want to Wallace gear. Anyone used it on their SIG 1/5 scale Cub?

Lachlan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.