Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Good Second Build?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Good Second Build?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 10:09 PM
Snyperx
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Second Build?

I am currently buidling a Sig Somthin' Extra for my first kit build, but am already thinking about my second kit. I was looking heavily at the SIG 1/5 J-3 Pipe. Any thoughts on this> Would this be a bad choice for a second build or what this be a pretty good choice. I would really like to go for something more scale. Let me know your thoughts. TIA.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:12 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Good Second Build?

Be careful, most of Sigs Cubs are builders kits. Tackling one of these on your second attempt could cause you nightmares. There is one that I have heard is good, but I don't remember if it's the 1/5 scale or another one.

Some others to look at are the GP and the Goldberg.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:24 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Any Great Planes kit is a greeat way to start building. Well thought out, very complete, and the superb manuals also feature some 'helpful hints' for all builds. Seriously think about a GP kit as your second kit.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:39 PM
leftnut
My Feedback: (1)

I built one of those .20-.40 sig cub years ago.
my second kit as a matter of fact.
good lord...[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
all sticks and lamination stuff.
soilderinng landing gears, shaping wing struts..
it looked good.. but i don't think it was straight, straight.
i didn't fly it ...that's for sure

a far cry from wraping rubber bands on self alingment fuselage
Old 07-16-2004, 03:11 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if you have considered it, but the SIG Hog Bipe might be a good second kit. I built the Something Extra for my first and decided to have a bipe as my second build. I sent away for the instruction manual on the Hog Bipe before I bought it and read through the manual. Much of the building in the Hog Bipe is similar to that of the Something Extra. The fuse itself appears to be almost the same structural build up. I went ahead and purchased the kit because of its similarity to the SE and will start this Fall when the weather cools off. 95-100 degrees in my garage is pretty uncomfortable this time of year. Of course this is really flying weather anyway.

BTW: The 95-100 is the outside temp, I'll bet if I checked the garage it is much hotter.