Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

1/5 Pepsi Chipmunk - Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

1/5 Pepsi Chipmunk - Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 04:41 AM
James3922

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rick,
Yup, I liked my cookies.
I'm a sport flyer so no Knife edge, prop hanging etc. for me. I think the airframe is a bit heavy for prop hanging. What size of motor are you considering?
The 2 piece wing is essential for me for transport and storage. I spent some time perfecting the fit. Works really well so far.
Epoxied the collets in last night, so...
I have the 81" span. Dunno why they shortened the span. Maybe makes things more responsive but also might compromise low speed handling.
Each to their own.
Come to think of it, maybe they took out the flaps?
The guys in the club like seeing the build logs, it gives us something to do. Good for inspiration also.
Have you flown or done any work on the Chips you mentioned earlier?
James

Last edited by James3922; 07-11-2015 at 03:02 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:33 AM
rica1
My Feedback: (32)

Hey James (AKA Cookie Monster),
I don't remember the cookies in England (maybe shortbread?), I lived in London for 1 year back in 1974. What are your favorites? I used to eat fish & chips a lot.
Your right, the airframe is heavy for prop hanging or 3D. But I like the Super Chipmunk a lot. I could hover a Carl Goldberg S Chipmunk with a OS .91 and do really nice tumbles, pretty neutral in knife edge and real nice inverted flat spins. The chipmunk got me started on aerobatics.
As far as engines on my 81" P Chipmunk, ether a 40cc or 50cc. At about 15lbs it may need a 50cc eng. Since its a heavy airframe, I think it may handle the 50cc. Will need to think about it some more. If someone has a 50cc on one and they like the way it fly's, I would like to know about it.
Did your plane come with the two piece wing option or did you modify the one piece wing? I would like the two piece for transport as well. I think your right about the shorter ws low speed handling kits. I would stick with the 81" ones as one of the characteristics is its really good low speed handling. Didn't really need flaps but was nice to have fun with. I mixed the flaps and elevators (on a switch) for tight loops and inverted spins. Your build log is really good and great to follow. Especially when the weather is not so good. And it gives me inspiration to get mine back together.
My Pepsi Chipmunk has a warped wing (pretty bad) and I thought I would need to build another wing and started laying it out on a building board. Now, I think I may just remove the covering on the warped side and try to steam it out. The plane is all set up with servos, just needs the engine.
I have a World Models S Chipmunk that is flyable and a couple Carl Goldberg S Chipmunks that need some more work to be flyable. I have transitioned into larger gas planes mostly and seem to take them flying when I go. I look at the Chipmunks when I leave and it looks like a dog waiting to go out for a walk and I feel guilty that I'm not taking them.
I'm finishing up an upgrade (50 to 55cc) engine on one gas plane and putting the electronics and a GP 61 (gas) eng in a 50cc extra 260 (new plane).
I think I have to many planes, but that's a good problem to have I think! LOL
Your Chippy and emails help me think about getting mine flying again. They are really nice looking and flying planes. Especially your Pepsi Chipmunk!
One of the very best overall planes. It will do just about everything, very stable and forgiving and lots of fun flying. Do any of your flying mates want to build and fly one now that they have seen yours? I had 3 other of my club members flying Chipmunks when I was flying mine. Guess its about time to get back to them, I'll let you know how it goes.
Keep us posted on yours and if you make any changes. Hope those spats stay on now. Happy landings. Rick
Old 08-10-2015, 11:27 AM
James3922

Hi Rick, Guys, Have some in-flight pics to share. (Thanks Biggles)
Rick, The two piece wing was an optional extra. Spats sorted. We have biscuits here. Similar to cookies but not the same. Biscuits are better.
I'm eyeing up a Biela 17x10x3 3 blade prop just now, ground clearance is minimal on a 2 blade 19/20 dia. This is due to the u/c legs being swept forward. She's flying great, even in dodgy weather.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pepsi-Skydancer-1.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	2113761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pepsi-Skydancer-2.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	2113762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pepsi-Skydancer-3.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	2113763  

Last edited by James3922; 08-10-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:47 PM
rica1

James,
Thanks for the photos! That is a beautiful sight! Great looking plane! We don't have a two piece wing option over here. US kit cutters take note!!
Glad your not loosing your spats now. Ah yes, biscuits, I vaguely remember them (to many years ago or getting to old). Think they mostly came in a tube package? You should be the "Biscuit monster" ?. Maybe I can find some in an import shop here. Let us know if you go with the 3 blade Biela and how it flys and the RPM difference. Or, make longer u/c legs? How many liters of petrol through the eng now? Sounds like the eng is running very well?
I have painted and clear coated a Carl Goldberg cowl recently. Just need to plumb the eng and get the cowl on. Almost ready to fly with all the servos mounted.
And now I want to remove the covering on the Pepsi Chippy and straighten the twist out. I do miss flying the Chipmunk. Happy landings in dodgy weather. Rick
Old 08-10-2015, 06:45 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by James3922
We have biscuits here. Similar to cookies but not the same. Biscuits are better.
Digestives and a proper brewed cup of tea

BTW, nice chipmunk.

John M,
Old 08-11-2015, 03:06 AM
James3922

Get you're hands on some McVities Milk Chocolate Digestives Rick. Great with tea or coffee.
I'll post pics of the Biela if I decide to get one. Engine only has two thirds of a gallon through it so not nearly run in.
Engine starts and runs great. I have a switch on my Tx that increases the idle speed for flying aerobatics.
You must be looking forward to having some fun with the Goldberg. Good luck straightening the wing on the Chip, sounds nightmarish.

Hi John, What part of the world do you come from? (BTW welcome to the thread). Getting a half decent cup of tea outside the UK seems impossible in my travels.

Do you still keep up with the thread Apalsson? I feel like we've hi-jacked it. Apologies.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:26 AM
rica1

James, I've located two sources to get McVities! They look very familiar now (probably 40 years or so ago) and I remember having the chocolate covered round biscuits/cookies and they were great. Not sure if they were McVities though. We had tea at least three times a day and always much better with the biscuits! I am going to order some!
Not much petrol through your engine, it will be even better when it breaks in. I have "idle down" on my Futaba Tx also, I fly at about 2,400 rpm (idle up), and switch to about 1,600 rpm for (idle down) while on the ground and landing. If breaking in an engine I would set it a little higher if needed to be reliable.
I really enjoyed my CG Chipmunk for a good 4-5 yrs. One of the reasons I wanted a larger Chippy.
I don't know if I will get the twist out of the Pepsi wing but worth a try. I will build another if I have to. I brought the wing down from storage and started removing the covering yesterday.
It's nice to keep this thread active. We haven't heard from Apalsson, Snowman, bobbeagle or Rye? for some time. There is plenty of room for all you guys and others to talk about this/these planes. Maybe they are to busy building or flying? Please feel free. John M must be from the UK.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:30 AM
John_M_

Originally Posted by James3922
Hi John, What part of the world do you come from? (BTW welcome to the thread). Getting a half decent cup of tea outside the UK seems impossible in my travels.
Hi James, thanks for the welcome... originally from southeast England, Dover... came to the states in1958, been miserable ever since ... I was just seven or eight when I was dragged out here with the family... it's been nearly 10 years since my last visit back home... still have some friends and relatives living in Ashford and Canterbury... I'm 64 now so I may make a trip of it soon.

Finding a decent cup of tea here in the states is not easy, thank god for the importers.... PG Tips and a hot pot of water, a good tea strainer and cozy... if it doesn't stain your teeth yellow, you haven't let it brew long enough... BTW, the dark chocolate McVities are just as good, but I fancy the milk chocolate as well... one thing I do miss is a good steak and kidney pie, my mum use to make the best, but most Americans never heard of it.

John M,
Old 08-11-2015, 10:03 AM
rica1

Hey John, glad to hear from you even if you have been transplanted to the USA and have been miserable since 1958. Even though your only 64, you will get over it!
If you go to the UK maybe James will invite you for a good cupa and some McVites! You can check and see if he has been brewing his tea long enough! LOL
I really liked the people in the UK and all the restaurants in London, didn't care for the cloudy weather though! Americans don't allow steak and kidney pie in the USA.
So, what have you been flying or building? Any Chipmunks? Rick
Old 08-11-2015, 10:53 AM
John_M_

Hi Rick, lol, well I'm only miserable part of the time now; it was quite an upset making a major life style change at that age... the states have changed a lot since first coming here, it was much more inviting back then... I won't start a political conversation, but only to say our current regime has F'd things up here to say the least... England has its own set of problems as well, but one will never forget their roots.

No chipmunks on the board at this time, although a giant scale chipmunk would be a nice build project in the future... I'm currently flying a H9 super cub ARF (first and last giant ARF for me ) while I finish up my long standing project restoring my Sig 1/4 scale j3 cub, making some modifications and adding quite a bit of scale details... once I get that finished; I'm at the final stages now, just need to finish up the cockpit details and move on to the covering and finish... when its done, I will be looking for another build project, so a giant chipmunk may interest me, I also having been looking at a 33% Sopwith Pup.... I need something big because of my eye sight, and its hard going back to a smaller model after flying the larger scale models... also my inlaw has a topflight giant p51 build started, which I help with here and there, so there's plenty to keep me busy.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 08-11-2015 at 01:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-11-2015, 06:58 PM
rica1

Hey John, being transplanted at such a young age, into another culture had to be traumatic. Sounds like your still getting use to it! The US has changed a lot since I was a kid. We have very poor leadership and it will take a lot to get things going in the right direction again. I'm hoping for a big change next year! I wish England the best as we have been such good allies over many years.
If you follow this thread you may become interested in building a Chipmunk!? The Chipmunk was a primary trainer for the RAF after the Tiger Moth in England after WWII and built by De Havilland. Also built in Canada and used as military trainers in other countries air forces. A 33% Sopwith Pup sounds nice, (lots of work with two wings though).
Do you scratch build or from a kit? Bigger is better in a number of ways, easier to see when flying, they fly better, more scale like. James has really done a great job on his Chippy and his build thread. Hope your Cub and the in-laws P51 turn out well. Don't forget your tea and some Mcvities! Rick
Old 08-12-2015, 08:31 AM
John_M_

You certainly know your English history Rick ... Oh, I have several interests, the chipmunk, spitfire, sopwith pup, etc... plenty of time yet to do them all

No, I've never actually done a complete scratch build per say, but I probably could if the dive to do so was strong enough... the Sopwith Pup I was looking at was in kit form, from JW (Jörg Wonneberger), CNC cut kit.

http://www.vogelsang-aeroscale.com/sopwithpup.html.

The cub will look like a "mini me" when finished, or as close as possible 1/4 scale allowing, and with the robart gear... I know the P51 will come out nice, I don't know how far he wants to go with the scale details, but he has decided to put one of those Gaui F-50 4 strokes in it, that's where my interest started to peak, as I'm all about 4 strokes

Well Rick, I think we hijacked this thread long enough, I'll have a look over Jame's build thread, it looks like he did a very nice job on her... we'll chat again I'm sure.

John M,
Old 08-12-2015, 10:14 PM
rica1

Hey John, thanks for the update. I hope you take on the Sopwith Pup from Vogelsang. Lots of possible builds. Hope the Cub turns out well. Come back when want to build the Chipmunk mate. Chat with you later. Rick