Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where did all the kits go?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where did all the kits go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 09:01 PM
iflyrc0288

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where did all the kits go?

Im going to have to agree with just about everyone in this forum. Kit building is the best!!!!!! I cant really say ive ever flown a kit that ive built. But i still love to build. And im only 16 and ive only been in this hobby for about 2 years so i hope that kits dont go off the market in a few years cause this hobby is the best thing that has ever happend to me. Although i dont like where its going, i love the hobby. I dont really have a point to this im just saying what i think and know. oh yeah, if u think a sig SE is an expesive kit, then u better find somthing else to do in ur spare time. (no offense meant)
Old 08-01-2004, 09:03 PM
maekju

When ARF's first came out we (us old farts) use to call them BARF's. The name says it all. They where horrible, after putting one together, you would look at it and wonder how it would stay together in flight. They have improved quite a bit. Manufactures like Hanger 9 and Great Plans make a pretty good ARF (I dropped the B for these companies). The only reason I would buy one is when I have something on the building board that won't be coming off for a while and need something to fly now. Ahhh those old kits of yesterday, I have a Hots II that I'm finishing up then I'll start on my Hot Kanary then I'll start on my Goldberg Ultimate. I work in South Korea so I know when I go to the flying field with my Hots II the Koreans will oh and ahh then ask me what it is and where can they buy one and is it an ARF. Too bad the younger generation of today are missing out on what the real RC hobby is all about.
Maekju
Old 08-02-2004, 10:05 AM
DLDude
My Feedback: (1)

I dont where i saw it, but i saw the SE for $99! I didnt know it was 76 at Tower . Thats a good price, it'll probably be mine in a month or so
Old 08-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Fubar-One

Funny thing happened at the Basin today. Went down there with my Dad to get some airborne video shot and to just do some flying. Noticed that the planes I had on the flight line were my two ARFs (Kadet Senior and Global D-VII). Went back to the truck and dug out my Kit built Tower Kaos. Got a flight in with it and was de-fueling it when a guy came up and told me he had a couple of partially built kits and did I want em? Got me a mostly built Super Sportster 20 and some fiberglass fuse NE Sailplane kit for nothing! Looking around, I was the only guy there that had a kit built plane on the flight line so I guess he figured I would be the guy that would want the kits.
Huzzah!
ORIGINAL: maekju

When ARF's first came out we (us old farts) use to call them BARF's. The name says it all. They where horrible, after putting one together, you would look at it and wonder how it would stay together in flight. They have improved quite a bit. Manufactures like Hanger 9 and Great Plans make a pretty good ARF (I dropped the B for these companies). The only reason I would buy one is when I have something on the building board that won't be coming off for a while and need something to fly now. Ahhh those old kits of yesterday, I have a Hots II that I'm finishing up then I'll start on my Hot Kanary then I'll start on my Goldberg Ultimate. I work in South Korea so I know when I go to the flying field with my Hots II the Koreans will oh and ahh then ask me what it is and where can they buy one and is it an ARF. Too bad the younger generation of today are missing out on what the real RC hobby is all about.
Maekju
Old 08-02-2004, 06:59 PM
phread59

Fubar you are one lucky dog. I never get anyone giving me planes. I gotta do it the hard way, buy'em.

Mark Shuman

BTW the neat thing about having a plan built or one of your own designs is the reactions of the other fliers. Some guys just get totaly pissed when you won't tell them who made the ARF. When there isn't any!
Old 08-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Bob101

Too many of you act like people who buy ARF's are made to buy them at gunpoint. Manafacturs make ARF's because they sell. People would jump on a chance to make more kits if more people were BUYING kits.

There's just not as much demand.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:44 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw the Tower $76 price too. I was thinking about getting it when I was given a slightly crashed one last Friday. Our LHS charged a guy $100 & tax for a kit.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:14 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Slightly crashed"?????? Is that like 'a little bit pregnant'???

<<...made to buy them at gunpoint...>>

LOL! Right; I've got a couple myself. In fact, I'm trying to decide now between the ExtremeFlight or Somenzini Yak 54.

But I'll always have at least one "kit" in some stage of construction. Assembling an ARF is a good diversion when you get tired of sanding, etc.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:50 AM
skier

ARFs have their place. They are great for learning on, because you feel no personal connection with them.

That being said, nothing will be more satisfing than a bunch of sticks going together to make a plane. Right now I'm scaling up 3-views of a Piper Cherokee and building a Duellist 2/40 (kit).

At my feild most people have ARFs, but it is normal to see 2-3 kit built planes every Saturday and Sunday.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:36 AM
RCJake-rcu
My Feedback: (7)

"Look also at the SIG Mid-Star 40 as it builds real nice and in my opinion flys the pants off the 4*40. "

Art,

Now I know why all of the 4*40s I have seen do not have any pants on...

As far as kits to build, the Uproar gets my vote. My last one had a K&B Screamin' 48, Tornado 10 x 6 three blade prop and was the best everyday flyer that I have owned.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:46 AM
DLDude

I know the uproar has permanently attached wings, does the SE also have attached wings? I use a pretty small car with folding-rear seats to haul my plane, so if they wings dont attach, i dont know if i can fit it in!
Old 08-03-2004, 12:32 PM
RCJake-rcu
My Feedback: (7)

The Sig SE has plug-in wings, so transporting is somewhat easier. However, the fuse is longer...
Old 08-03-2004, 12:47 PM
batflyer

For those who enjoy building a kit, Bruce Tharp's kits are outstanding. I've built kits and from plans, and Bruce Tharp Engineering (BTE) does an exceptional job of designing and kitting. His designs can really be appreciated by building one (I'm doing the Flyin King right now). I'd heard about his planes, but couldn't appreciate how great a job he does until I'd gotten one. They're something else. Check 'em out.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:54 PM
Bob101

I wish Bruce hadn't temporarily suspended (?) the Venture kit. To me it was "the" kit to learn on.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:38 AM
ELTIGRE

All some great ideas & thoughts gentlemen.ARFs have come a long way, so have kits& there are some nice ones still out there. kits are so much more user friendly i cant see where if you follow directions you should have no major problems.A lot of folks come from a back ground of no other modeling experience unlike many early RC flyers so building can be a bit intimidating. The name of the game (for most unless you like to build dust collectors) is still flying & for some with time pressure ARF just works better. no real difference either from buying a "used " model.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:53 PM
mashp39

Top Flite contender, Goldberg Tiger 2, Sig kouger mk II. Try these kits. They may be what you need!
Old 08-05-2004, 09:01 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

I have on occassion built arfs when I tore up all my kits just so I can get back in the air fast during my rebuilding efforts. However, I enjoy building and prefer kits, actually I prefer scratch-building from plans. I know, I know, alot of people don't consider it scratch building from someone elses plans. I personally feel that all designers are scratch builders but not all scratch builders are designers. I have a lot of respect for designers considering I can't design two sticks glued together without someone else,s plans. My hat is off to all the designers out there.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:29 PM
phread59

I guess I will say we have a sad note to report. I read last night that Pica is now gone. I read in RCR that Pica is closing the doors. I have 3 of their kits in my stash, A 1/5 Waco, a Jugmeister started and the Cessan 182. Wish I had the money to snap up a few more, drat.

Mark Shuman
Old 08-06-2004, 07:35 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Hmmm...I better get some more of their kits before it's too late

Duellist!!
Old 08-06-2004, 08:09 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The unbuilt kits that I have right now are the Ultra Sport Plus 40 and Spectra sailplane. I think the Spectra won't get built for a while. (it was a gift)

I'm almost ready to buy the CA Models Widebody 40...after I find the best price. It comes with almost no plans from Argentina, and what you get is a really botched translation. Anyway, some new building techniques for me with pre-sheeted foam wings, stab, and fin. You sheet the turtledeck and forward section of foam. The fuselage is a simple, interlocking type. Also, some fiberglassing the wing half joints. It looks like it goes together fairly fast and is supposed to be a very good pattern plane.

As for the scratch building argument, I have to agree with Wild Crash Willy. It doesn't make sense to only be a scratch builder if you are also a designer. I enjoyed building a replacement wing last month and will probably look to scratch build something else after the Widebody.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:13 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

I am not so sure about PICA. I had heard that they were moving their facility and would begin production and shipping when the move was complete.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:35 AM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

check out www.balsausa.com .All of thier airplanes they sell are nothing but kits.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:50 PM
damifino

I have ARF's and I have kit built planes and each have their place. But, I really get a charge out of seeing all that wood I stuck together as an in-the-bones airplane waiting for covering. If one truly appreciates aviation and things mechanical they know what I'm talking about.
What other hobby offers what R/C airplanes have to offer? - The challenge and satisfaction of creating or building something beautiful (art). The opportunity to redesign or modify to your heart's content (engineering). Learning about the history and ACTUAL physics of flight (history and science). Controling your creation as it flies through the air (adrenaline). The sight, the sounds, and the smells are the rewards for all your labor (satisfaction). And if you have to ask why, you probably wouldn't understand.
As long as there are plans and balsa to be had the most fortunate among us will have a hobby. A decent scroll saw can be had for less than $125.00 and the rest of the stuff needed to build from plans is pocket change. The only difference between a kit and 'scratch built' is that the kit's parts are already cut out.
I'm getting ready to start a plans built 1/4 scale biplane and more than enough wood for it cost me $70.00, including shipping. Compare that to some of the newer large ARF biplanes from Sig and Great Planes at $400.00 plus. Once finished, the satisfaction I'll have will far out-weigh the time I will have invested in the build. The same satisfaction comes with a successful kit build. Okay, okay, I'll get off my soap box now........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72215.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	161564  
Old 08-09-2004, 11:41 AM
lbrande
My Feedback: (16)

Last year I had started a TF P-40 kit. Since my son goes to school in Ma, I had sent pictures of the progress via e-mail. He is home during the summer, and the kit is 85% complete.

Here is the interesting part. My son wanted to build a biplane kit. Rather than start at that point, I purchased a 4* ARF for him to start his building experience. He was pissed off. He completed 85% of the 4*, but started on the Sig Hog Bipe. He is very meticulous, and does not hesitate to ask questions of anyone, when he comes to a point where he feels that there is a problem. When he "goofs", we backtrack and re-do.

I guess the point is, instant gratification comes from the house. We have arfs, and use them to train, but enjoy the building and maiden flights of the kits we build.

Lew
Old 08-12-2004, 11:16 AM
edygert
My Feedback: (12)

Just a couple of kit links.

For Bruce Tharpe Engineering kits http://www.btemodels.com

For Joe Bridi kits http://www.bridiairplanes.com (great kits)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.