Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Barn door ailerons

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Barn door ailerons

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 10:37 AM
Nebbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barn door ailerons

I need some suggestions. I have a Kadet Senior that has been set aside for the moment. I have built the tail feathers, fuselage, and 1/2 of the wing. The wing is being modified to add barn door ailerons. My main problem is how to do the control horns for the ailerons. 4 of the wing ribs were cut just after the back spars. Here is a very rough drawing of what it looks like. I imagine that the section in blue is what the control horn would sort of look like. What is the best way to do this, or should I back off and do it another way?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20613.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	193750  
Old 11-17-2004, 10:54 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Barn door ailerons

For just a trainer I would make new ailerons and center line hinge them the normal way. Just make servo pockets for easy installation. I would think maintenence would be more important at this stage. Just my opinion. I've done the top hinge before and it works fine, I just do it on more scale planes. Attached is how I do the control horn. Stays hidden.
Edwin

Name:	Sq47865.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	193756  
Old 11-17-2004, 11:19 AM
Nebbie

I forgot to mention, yes this is a trainer, but I am building it as a night flyer/bomb drop plane. I wanted something that was big (do trainers get bigger than the Kadet Sr?) and gentle, for flying at night. I have another trainer and an Ultra Stick. I am not going to be putting as much dihedral in the wing as the plans call for.

Thanks for the drawing. That gives me something to think about
Old 11-17-2004, 11:34 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The kadet Sr is a great plane. Should do just fine. You could probably find a bigger one but it would probably be a scratch build.
Edwin
Old 11-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What you have shown should work fine. You can make your own horns out of 1/8 inch aircraft grade plywood (use ball links for best results) and get by nicely. Do take out most if not all the dihedral though or your ailerons will be very ineffective. I've made several with absolutely no dihedral (as long as ailerons are added) and they flew much better than the stock units. Even then you may need to couple in some rudder on turns to make them look right. Use two servos, one in each wing.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:42 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Thats a neat idea on the control horns. How are they attached to the control surface?

AAArrrgghh.... I should have read that slower.[:@] Edited for content. and spelling. and grammer.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:24 PM
Nebbie

I have 2 different ideas on how to attach the control horns. First is to predrill the holes for the screws, mount the back plate inside the aileron (remember this is stick built) and glue it in. The second idea is if I use plywood for the control horns, I would epoxy it into a slot in the aileron just like you do the dihedral brace.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:51 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

One other thing you might want to do with the control horns is move them back from the front edge of the ailerons. By moving them 1/4th of the way back, you will get a differential throw, more up than down. Just a thought.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:31 AM
Nebbie

Well, as usual for me I keep collecting opinions. I stopped by the LHS and talked to the manager (who is also Pres-elect of my club) and got his take on how to do them. I converted his chicken scratch to the drawing you see below. The only thing I got wrong on the drawing is the control horn. This should show it mounted to lite ply right behind the spar on the aileron, instead of right on top of it.

Name:	Sq47368.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	194401  
Old 11-19-2004, 05:53 PM
pjwright

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're in luck, Mike -- Paul Burke still has his wonderful Kadet drawings posted at:
http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aerostuff/kadflap.htm
Everything you need to know to add that fourth (and fifth) channel to the venerable Kadet!
Regards...
pj
Old 11-19-2004, 06:55 PM
cwrr5

Actually, I was looking at the way Edwin has his set up, although I guess it would be pretty much the same for the horn. I like the concealed aspect, I always thought big huge control horns sticking out off of a control surface looked kinda goofy. I guess all my planes(except the zero) look goofy...

BTW, I can't get to that link where I'm at, is it posted anywhere else?[]
Old 11-19-2004, 07:14 PM
pjwright

I clicked the link, and it worked for me, Mr. Pointyhead...[sm=frown.gif]
Here's Mr. Burke's homepage...look for the link on the left side of his page for "Installing flaps":
http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aerostuff/index.html
Best...
pj
Old 11-19-2004, 08:04 PM
cwrr5

I'm sure the link works - it's just the location I'm at, they have a very strict filter, and both are blocked under the title "personal web-pages" and "web hosting"(whatever that is!). I'm pretty limited on what I can actually get to over here in the sandbox [&o], but I'll be home soon!
Old 11-19-2004, 08:47 PM
pjwright

Yup -- it'd fail on both accounts. Be sure at check it out when you're back home.
Some excellent stuff on bashing BUSA Eindeckers there as well!
[btw, I had the chance to "fly" Hercs at the simulator at Dobbins AFB...that's a whole 'nuther kind o' flyin'!]

pj