Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Robart hinge installation

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Robart hinge installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 06:46 PM
PDF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robart hinge installation

Hello all,
I have been using the Dubro flat hinges and wanted to give the 1/8 inch robart hinge a try. I bought the hinges and centering tool. I went to install them today and after putting my marks on the control feathers I saw that there isn't enough wood to really grab into. Let me explain. The average depth of wood that I would drill into was only 1/2" and since the hinges are approx 1" long I would loose most of the grip since the barbs are at the bottom 1/2" and after enlarging the hole to accomadate for the taper next to the pin I can't see much holding power. I am under the assumption that you must have to put extra blocking behind the hinge locations. If so I didn't realize this till to late. Am I correct in assuming this? At least I'll know for the next time. Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Pat
Old 11-19-2004, 07:06 PM
pjwright

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Robart hinge installation

The Robart website recommends installing backer blocks to get full-depth bonding, as you suspected, Pat:

http://www.robart.com/how_to/hinge_points.aspx

You might also take a look at Paul Johnson's Airfield Models site:
http://airfieldmodels.com/informatio...ints/index.htm

Good luck,
pj