Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Leading Edge on vertical stab?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Leading Edge on vertical stab?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 09:20 AM
P-40LUVR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leading Edge on vertical stab?

The instructions say to pin down the border of the "fin",then glue the false leading edge and then glue the leading edge.,take off the plan and build other side in the same manner.
If I glue the leading edge on this side of the fin there will be no leading edge on the right half of the fin.
So,my question is,do I glue the borders sticks and the false leading edge, pull it off the plan and THEN glue the leading edge on the 2 false leading edges that I will have when I build up the other side?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81373.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	194653  
Old 11-20-2004, 11:36 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: Leading Edge on vertical stab?

Then build the right half first.....? Not sure if I understand completely, but sounds like you're refering to the left half of the "fin"? Or am I just confused? []
Old 11-20-2004, 12:33 PM
dicknadine

is the fin built in 1/2's? would suggest that you figure on building it up in 1 piece. the photo of the plan does not explain your problem. dick
Old 11-20-2004, 12:50 PM
P-40LUVR

Let my clarify,one fin,you add ribs to other side to make it whole but only one leading edge stick.
If you glue that one leading edge stick on the plan at first, it will only be on one side of the fin.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
2 false leading edges,one leading edge.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

I can't see the text on the plans, so its hard to tell what is meant by "false leading edge". But it looks to me like the leading edge is built of 3 laminated pieces of rectangular stock and the same thickness of square stock is used to frame out the interior of the fin. Then half ribs are used to shape the rudder and the leading edge is sanded to shape once everything is glued into place.

If this is the case, then you can build the whole frame on the plans, including the laminated leading edge. Add the ribs to the exposed side. Then remove the fin from the plans and glue the ribs on the other side. I would probably go with white glue on the laminated leading edge (instead of CA) to make sanding easier.

Again, its hard to tell based on the pic of the plans.. it looks like a fun, challenging project though!
Old 11-20-2004, 01:14 PM
cwrr5

I agree with what build-n-flyer said... still a little confused tho... What plane is that? (plans, kit, etc?)
Old 11-20-2004, 04:53 PM
P-40LUVR

Its the Airsail Piper Tomahawk.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:15 PM
phread59

Yup build one half of the fin on the plans. The other half directly on the fin. Good luck with the kit.

Mark Shuman
Old 11-20-2004, 07:01 PM
tonystro
My Feedback: (1)

P-40LUVR,

ORIGINAL: Let my clarify,one fin,you add ribs to other side to make it whole but only one leading edge stick.
If you glue that one leading edge stick on the plan at first, it will only be on one side of the fin. 2 false leading edges,one leading edge.
I may not understand correctly (enlarged your plan image trying to read the lettering), but it appears that you first form an assembly of the leading edge and the trailing edge, with 23mm 'braces' (shown below FR2 & FR3) glued between them. Onto the 'up' side of this assembly you glue one 'false' leading edge, the fin ribs (FR1, FR2, FR3, FR4) and a piece onto the trailing edge. I am unable to identify the trailing edge piece, but it appears to be a 'doubler', adding to the thickness of the trailing edge. I believe when the glue is dried you then remove the assembly and add a false leading edge, the fin ribs and a trailing edge 'doubler' to the opposite side.

Please think carefully before applying what I've said as I might be wrong!
Old 11-20-2004, 07:24 PM
cwrr5

Cool! I got one of those N.I.B. that I uh..... "aquired"