Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Ultimate Bipe Question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Carl Goldberg Ultimate Bipe Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 09:45 AM
PDF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carl Goldberg Ultimate Bipe Question

Hello all,
I called the Carl Goldberg Company to ask what was the difference in there models, specifically the Ultimate Bipe when the company changed over a few years ago. They stated that the only difference is that the older models kits were die cut and the newer ones are laser cut. In your opinion which kit is better the old or the new. I have interest in that kit next so I would like some opions. Also the people that have them how do you like them and what kind of power plant do you recommend for great aerobatics maneuvers. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Pat
Old 11-23-2004, 10:57 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Carl Goldberg Ultimate Bipe Question

I had one once, but I didn't build it. However, given a choice between building a die-cut kit or Laser-cut kit, I will go with the Laser cut anyday.

As for power, I have seen them powered with everything from an OS 91 Surpass to an OS 160 Twin. The 91 is all that's really needed to fly the plane very well.

However a YS 91 - 110 or an OS or Saito 120 is even better
Old 11-29-2004, 01:34 AM
MrSteve09

Hi PDF,...

I am building one of the older Goldberg Ultimate Biplanes and couldn't help notice your question regarding engine choices for this plane. I just went through the very same agonizing decision.

When I first saw one of these biplanes fly (back in the early 90's) it had an O.S. 91 Surpass. It seemed to fly very nicely on this engine, although I don't recall the vertical capabilities of this combination. Over the past 14 or so years of flying I have gotten spoiled with high performance over powered pattern planes, therefore when looking back on the 91 Surpass powered Ultimate I can't help thinking there should be more!!

A lot of guys use YS 120's in their Ultimates and love 'em, however I literally weighed my engine options. The 91 Surpass weighed 21.4 ounces with a muffler; a Saito 100 weighed 21.9 ounces with a muffler; and a YS 120 weighed 31+ ounces without a muffler. Therefore the YS added an extra 10 ounces (over half a pound) to the front of that plane with still more to go with the exhaust system!! The Saito 150 was also upwards in the 31 ounce range too!!

Therefore,... for my choice, I'd choose the Saito 100!! Extra power over the 91 Surpass with hardly any extra weight!! I realize these are all four stroke comparisons, if you're contemplating a two cycle I guess this doesn't; help you much. Sorry!!

Signed,
Steve T.

P.S. Good luck with your build. If you haven't picked up a copy of Harry Higgley's "Bipes" book, get one!! This book will recommend and suggest tons of improvement and upgrades to the Goldberg Ultimate kit.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:18 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P.S. Good luck with your build. If you haven't picked up a copy of Harry Higgley's "Bipes" book, get one!! This book will recommend and suggest tons of improvement and upgrades to the Goldberg Ultimate kit.
Does anyone know where I can order this book from?
I have searches amazon.com without any success
Old 11-29-2004, 01:22 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.carstens-publications.com/hangar/a15810.html

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...hType=Standard

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/hig/higbok015.htm

and other links, all from Google.com, just typed in "Harry Higley Bipes"

Good luck,
Dave Olson
ORIGINAL: apalsson

Does anyone know where I can order this book from?
I have searches amazon.com without any success
Old 11-29-2004, 01:28 PM
apalsson

Thanks Dave,

Unfortunately, it looks like the book is out of production. I will keep looking though. I remember the Harry Higley books were excellent
Old 11-29-2004, 02:37 PM
MathmanAHS

I have one (currently down for repairs after it suffered a cartwheel on landing as a result of dumb thumbs) and absolutely love it. I do have a couple of recommendations though. First, get some aluminum gear to replace the wire gear (not sure if it still comes with the wire gear though, so check first). Second, lose the plastic cowl and pick up a fiberglass one (again, it may now come with a fiberglass cowl). Things to think about would be to put the rudder and elevator servos in the tail and use two aileron servos.

As far as powerplant, I have an ST 90 in mine and it performs very good, though not unlimited. The vertical is great, but it isn't unlimited. If you go with a 2-stroke, I would go with at least a 90, 1.08 or 1.20 would be better. Anything more than that would probably just be adding weight to get a small performance advantage (at least IMO).

Its a great kit and very fun to fly.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:27 PM
chris_in_montreal

I was looking into bipe kits recently and saw the CG ultimate listed at [link=http://www.hobbyhobby.com/index1.html]hobby hobby[/link] (mississauga, canada) as a kit with ABS cowl and pants and for $50CDN more with fibreglass cowl and pants. Anyone have the version with fibreglass parts? if so whats the difference (apart from the obvious) to the ABS parts??
Old 11-29-2004, 08:50 PM
plasticjoe
My Feedback: (22)

I built the laser cut one last winter and would love to build another. A joy to build, everything fit, just ditch the ABS cowl and pants and get fiberglass ones. I was super careful on making sure everything is aligned and straight. It took 3 clicks of right trim on the rudder and it flies awesome ! Laser cut is A-OK with me !!
Old 12-03-2004, 07:05 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Pilgrimchimp,
Goldberg (prior to Lanier buyout) offered the kit with the 'glass cowl and pants for a while. That should be the only difference in the kits, nothing else. Those with the fiberglass had a big sticker on the left side of the box top advertising the 'glass parts. I spent about $50 usd on aftermarket cowl and pants for mine. I think Godberg refered to theirs as "SpectreGlass" or something similar.

Pilgrim