Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Tiger 2 - Tail Dragger

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tiger 2 - Tail Dragger

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 08:37 AM
njjd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger 2 - Tail Dragger

I am presently building a Tiger 2 and would like to construct the plane as a tail dragger. The plans that came with the plane do not include any infomation with regards to the conversion from trike gear to tail dragger.

When I make the modification should I continue to mount the wheels from the wing or should they be mounted from the fuselage?

For a tail dragger where , relative to the CG do the wheels need to be located?

Thanks, in advance for your help.

Neil
Old 11-27-2004, 09:46 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Tiger 2 - Tail Dragger

The wheels cannot stay in the same position for a tail dragger as they are now located for a trike gear. They will need to be be relocated forward so the wheels are in front of the leading edge of the wing. If there is room they can even be located on the fusalage. You will of course need to redo the fusealage with some plywood and incorporate a tail wheel. The balance point will still stay the same. Good Luck, Dave
Old 11-27-2004, 11:29 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

njjd,

I've recently finished one in the manor described by David. There are pics in my gallery.
I just mounted a set of Goldberg glass-filled gear in front of the wing on the fuse with a lite-ply doubler holding blind nuts below the fuel tank.
I also added a doubler to the tail and mounted the tail wheel inthe same fashion.
I haven't flown it yet, but I'm optomistic!
Old 11-28-2004, 07:16 AM
iowanspctr

I built mine similarly, I believe I used Sig 4* aluminum landing gear and a dubro tailwheel (the one with the spring connection to the rudder). The wheels need to be near the leading edge of the wing. Mine are slightly ahead of that but this is a long-coupled plane and the ground handling is very good. Some re-bend the supplied wire gear to move the wheels forward but the aluminum is lighter and stronger. The plane flies excellently and handles wind very well.