Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Well my Ultimate is getting there.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Well my Ultimate is getting there.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 04:11 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well my Ultimate is getting there.

I have been working off and on building this Goldberg Ultimate since April and I am finally at the filling and sanding stage, YEE HAW! I have a Saito 1.20GK for power, futaba super 8 to control it, running 2 servos in the tail for elevator and pull pull on the rudder. I went with the Hitec aileron servos as they are really thin and put out as much as a standard servo. It be all black with yellow trim but won't say how but it will be different and the graphics are being done now. When this one is done I will finish up a couple of other projects then my GP's Phantom goes on the board. Oh ya!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13891.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	197198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75135.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	197199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr39986.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	197200  
Old 11-28-2004, 08:30 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Well my Ultimate is getting there.

That is one of the few planes that I have flown and loved, but never owned. I WILL have one in my hangar someday!
Old 11-28-2004, 03:15 PM
WYDAH

Hi,

Looks good. Always wanted an Ultimate myself. Only bipe I have in my small but growing fleet is the GP Skybolt. Like Minnflyer said,,, "someday".

Be sure to fill us in on the color scheme!

Regards,
Old 11-29-2004, 12:42 AM
MrSteve09

Hi Art,...

I have just gotten back to my CG Ultimate as well. I received my kit in 1992 and began building it over five years ago. Got so far as to build both wings and tail feathers before shelving it until now. Just this past weekend I pulled it out and started thinking about the fuselage!!

I see you've gone to aluminum landing gear on yours. Where did you get your aluminum gear from? And what size?? As some companies offer both 1/8 inch thick and 3/16 thick.

Are you using fiberglass cowl and pants?? My kit is of the older variety before they came out with Spectraglass. Therefore it only included ABS parts. I'm thinking about get glass cowl and pants, but once agian I don't know the best source for these.

Thanks for any help.

Signed,
Steve T.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:17 PM
jucava

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one but I need to know where the cg suppose to be the throws and the wing incidence, Hope you can help me with this info?
Old 05-04-2005, 09:20 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Jucava,
Plans show CG from 2" to 3" back from leading edge at the centerline of the bottom wing. I seem to recall some chat on this site about it needing to be much further back, so you may want to search.
Ailerons 10 to 12 degrees
Elevator 12 to 14 degrees
Rudder 15 to 23 degrees

They suggest dual rate settings of:
Ailerons 85%
Elevator 75%
Rudder 65%

They include ply travel gauges in the kit with markings for high and low settings, otherwise you can get one of those degree clip-ons from Central Hobbies for a little over 20 bucks.

Pilgrim
Old 05-04-2005, 11:50 AM
Sport Flyer
My Feedback: (10)

Looking good Art. They are a very sweet airplane

Steve, I've got the older ABS kit as well. The plastic is really a non-issue for cracking etc IF you fiberglass it yourself. Scuff it up, use a medium cloth and ZPoxy. Mine even stood up to a nose-in stall that caused the cabanes to break and bend forward, taking the bottom wing forward with the top wing, which broke the rear spars clean.

I've recently repaired and recovered mine. Just waiting for a break in work and weather to maiden it again. One thing I haven't done is recheck the balance. It was cloth covered before and odds are I'll be nose heavy now. I'll problably leave it as it is for the maiden though.

Name:	Bz79213.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	266874  
Old 05-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great! You're gonna love that plane!

Mine was one of the best I've ever flown, 1.20 OS fourstroke would pull it through any maneuver I could do, nice & smooth, landed nice, everything great. Had a battery lose contact, it augured in full tilt. A new kit is on my list, and after seeing yours, the list just got rearranged a bit!

Best wishes with your new ride,
Dave Olson
Old 05-04-2005, 05:21 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Or you could buy a 69 cent protractor and draw the angles on 3x5 cards and cut out the angle to find the throws...
Old 05-05-2005, 06:59 PM
jucava

Thank's for the info, but anyone have information regarding the incidences?
Old 05-05-2005, 08:14 PM
Live Wire

juvava
The plans show O on both wings and 1 1/4 + on the tail. This is a great kit I am still trying to get pic"s posted . Why are you guy's so slow I built and covered it in 5 days
Old 05-05-2005, 10:19 PM
FlyingPilgrim

Hawk,
Some of us have jobs and families. That's why.

Pilgrim
Old 05-06-2005, 12:39 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Well I wish I could say I have more done on mine, do have the cabanes, tail feathers and fuz covered but had to stop to put together an ARF for a review. I also have a new design a friend did and I am doing a prototype and trying to get that done, darn I am doing more as a retired person then I ever did when I worked, go figure???[] I guess the ultimate will get done when it gets done but it is looking good.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:44 AM
FlyingPilgrim

No sense in rushing these things- doing so leads to less than satisfying results. Sometimes I'll take an entire winter to complete one plane. In the past I have built a plane one year, but not flown it until the next! I hope to be able to accomplish more when I retire (flying & building), but fit it in when I can until then. I envy all the fellows at our field that are able to get out on a daily basis.

Pilgrim
Old 05-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Live Wire

Pilgrim
The day will come when you wish you had a job to go to and the family still home. Being retired is not always what you think it might be I build for other people and have very little time for my own hobby. And after building for 60 years you some times build with out giving the plans a second thought. Just recieved a VK Cherokee that has been opened and laying around for years to put together.
Looks like the house of balsa left overs, and I know it is not like the 5 day job maybe 5 months
Old 05-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Live Wire

Would you believe a guy brought over Transparent. covering to show of my work
It makes a guy wonder what is going on not being bashed and being made a complement for a change
What a change and I mlove it
Old 05-14-2005, 08:25 PM
jucava

I like to enjoy the building a little at a time, it's getting there, I only need to cover the wings and ailerons, install radio and hardware, and paint the cowl and pants.

What take the most time is to decide how to cover and paint it.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:23 PM
FlyingPilgrim

I agree. Planning the color scheme has always been a challenge for me. I tend to look for a pic of someone elses plane, and use similar patterns, maybe change color to make it somewhat original. I'm just finishing the wings on my ulimate kit. I broke the 1/16" shetting while handling, and now have to repair it. I was quite surprised at how fragile some of the design is on this kit (thin spars, 1/16" sheeting, etc.), but that's how they keep it light!

Pilgrim
Old 11-04-2005, 07:16 PM
WarbirdAirRacer
My Feedback: (16)

Well I just got done framing up my next Ultimate and from box to ARC. it took me a week to get framed up with servos in the bottom wing and fully sheeted wings. I also added a inch (1") to the rudder. everything done to this one i have done/do to every Ultimate I build for my Customers. I am also started my own 31% kit in the next 2 weeks so look for posts on that also.

I will post pics here in a couple hours.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:37 PM
ArmedZagi
My Feedback: (1)

Probly a very nooby question..but what is all the funky white stuff that looks like styrofoam bubbles?
Old 11-05-2005, 09:22 AM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Art your ultimate looks great. Think the 120 has enough to get the job done. My ultimate still in the box, seems there isn't enough time in the day, and when there is some time something always gets in the way. You will love the black, just be sure to cover on a sunny day or she'l cook inside.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:33 AM
PaulBK

the plane looks really good...i built three of them, loved every one. i would recommend stiffening the aileron pushrod between the top and bottom wing...i used some shaped aluminum, just flowed some epoxy into them. looked good and got rid of the flex.
arguably one of the best airplanes ever...

have fun!
Old 11-05-2005, 12:57 PM
WarbirdAirRacer
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: PaulBK

the plane looks really good...i built three of them, loved every one. i would recommend stiffening the aileron pushrod between the top and bottom wing...i used some shaped aluminum, just flowed some epoxy into them. looked good and got rid of the flex.
arguably one of the best airplanes ever...

have fun!
Another way to fix that problem is 4-40 rods.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:10 PM
IMaflyer
My Feedback: (1)

My friend and I built Goldberg Ultimates last fall and have been LOVING them. He used the Saito 1.20 and it has ample power! I put a Magnum 1.20 (they're both 4-strokes) in mine. As a result, we're always arguing about whose is faster. I'm not convinced the 1.20 will allow 3D (if that's what you're looking for), but it sure will haul her around like nobody's business. Of course, I have to take into account an extra servo I added for the bomb bay and bay doors. The fun of having a bomb bay made the extra weight worth it, though! We also used aftermarket aluminum gear, but I cannot remember where I got it.

Happy Monday.

Name:	Nl30821.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	350309  
Old 12-08-2005, 01:16 AM
Timthetoolman1
My Feedback: (6)

IMAFLYER, I'm still looking for your thread on the updates. I'm building two of them now - my brother is getting one for Christmas and he wants me to copy your color scheme : / Oh well, at least he didn't say 'I don't care what color you make it'.
Warbirdairacer, why add 1" to the rudder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.