Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Painting canopys???

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Painting canopys???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Eagle Keeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting canopys???

I'm coming down the homestretch on a GP Extra 300 kit and have a question about painting the canopy rim. The precautions for LustreKote say it will deform clear plastic butyrates. I assume this is the material the canopy is made of? The manual says to use Pactra Formula-U or Chevron Perfect Paint. My question is does anyone know of a safe paint that closely matches Metallic Red MonoKote? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:56 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Painting canopys???

I have to admit that I must have missed that warning. I have been painting my canopy trims for quite sometime with Lustercoat and I have not had any problems at all with any of them. I know that Chevron has closed up shop and I think that Formula U is hardly available. Hangor 9 has released a line of paint that matches Ultracoat. Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-06-2004, 12:49 PM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have used lustercoat on several canopies. I used very light coats and had no problems with distortion or softening of the canopies. I will add however, that I was not very satisfied with the color match between the film and the paint.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:19 PM
Eagle Keeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I was hoping to use the LustreKote to get a half way decent match with the covering. If it messes it up, I think it would look better with a new tinted canopy anyway.

One other question, would you suggest painting the cowl or using covering on it.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2004, 08:51 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

If you spray some LusterKote in a jar and let the gases evaporate, then it is safe to brush on (or air brush if you have one). It isn't the paint that's the problem, it is the 'carrier'.

Jerry
Old 12-06-2004, 10:44 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

By all means spray the cowling. Just make sure that you have a good primer on the cowling and the temp is about 70 degrees. As mentioned, do a fog coat on the canopy as well as the cowling and let it set for an hour or so and then do it again. You may need 5 or 6 fog coats to get the proper coverage. As for color match, it will be close but I am sure that it will not be perfect as they say. The covering was done with one die lot and the paint another. Most all colors of Lustercoat will be a shade or two different. Good Luck, Dave