Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig 4 Star 60

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig 4 Star 60

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 04:37 PM
ekir
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig 4 Star 60

I have an OS 91 4 stroke sitting in the shop. I am thinking about building a 4 star 60.

Question: Is this model a fast framing kit?

Question: I have read of two mods; removing one bay from each wing and adding 1" to rudder for better knife edge flight. Any other mods needed.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 12-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Sport Flyer
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Sig 4 Star 60

I flew mine totally stock for 6 yrs using an Enya 90FS. Very nice combo and on a good day it would hover it. No mods are really needed for this plane as it is wonderful stock, however I would highly recommend you replace the kit's rudder and elevator pushrods with better quality Sullivans. I found the stock pushrods to be quite prone to temperature related expansion and contraction.

As to the other mods, it does knife edge without enlarging the rudder but I guess it wouldn't hurt none. My brother took 2 bays out of each panel on his and enlarged his rudder -- flight characteristics were pretty similar to a Somethin' Extra.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:20 AM
Connery

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might also consider cutting off the "trainer" cheeks and making an enclosed cowl and cutting down the canopy and mounting it backwards like this:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90767.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	200351  
Old 12-07-2004, 05:35 PM
nmtr13
My Feedback: (6)

The four star builds pretty fast, I bought it for something to build over the winter and I finished before it even started snowing. It was a very easy kit and flys great.

John
Old 12-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Chocks

The 4* 60 is an excellent plane. I have had mine since '99 and still flying it. I used a supertiger 60 in mine. With the dual servos in the wing and a computer radio you can set up differential flaps and alerons and land so slow you can almost catch it. Not recomended though.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:31 PM
Swager
My Feedback: (1)

YES! Cut down the canopy!!!

I put servos in the wings and sheeted the turtledeck.

A cowled front would look nice.

Good Luck

Whooops! i forgot to add. I put a Sullivan Tail Assembly on mine.

PS I have a 4 Star 40, but I am now building a Venture 60. I think if you put a 4 Star 40 and a Venture 60 together you get a 4 Star 60.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:52 PM
fledermaus

YES! Cut down the canopy!!!
I don't see why everyone is so down on the stock canopy for the 4*. It reminds me of the Malcolm canopy on the Spitfire, although admittedly a bit exaggerated. If it were a full-scale plane it would give much better all-round visibility than the cut-down canopies that seem to be favored by the kit-bashers.

I'm going to keep the stock canopy on mine when I build it this winter, although I definitely am going to cut off the cheeks and make a fibreglass cowl for the side-mounted SuperTigre G-75. The cowl will also enclose a Bisson Pitts-style muffler.

Where I live it is fairly windy in the summer flying season, so I'm thinking of taking a bay off each wing. This seems to be a popular modification, but I don't want it to make the plane "twitchy" since this is only my second RC plane.

Cheers!
Old 12-09-2004, 11:59 PM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

I built my son a 4*60 last year for his second plane. Used a TT 91FS on it and it was one of the best flying planes I've ever owned. I built the wing stock and we flew it like that for a while, then I cut 1 bay from each wing and we flew for a while longer. The only difference I noticed was a little faster roll rate. There's a guy in our club who has one with an OS 91FS and he put rounded wingtips, cut the canopy down, and sheeted the turtle deck. Those mods made it a much nicer looking plane - sort of more finished looking....
Old 12-10-2004, 12:24 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; I have been flying that plane for 4 years, with an old OS fs 90 and a 15 inch prop. After the first year I cut an air balance out of the top of the rudder to help with knife edge. After the second year I replaced the landing gear with a taller wire gear I bent up because I wanted to use a bigger prop. There is nothing wrong with the plane as designed, I just wanted a few things changed. I should re-cover it this winter as it s looking a little old. It was the easiest kit I've ever built, the wing design is particularly clever with the diagonal ribs and teh spar webbing, strong light and rigid. Oh yea, it flies great too. I can get 45 minute flights on one tankif I keep the throttle down. I haven't flown it much this year since it bit me on the thigh. I have a computer radio that I use for four planes and I had the wrong plane selected so when I started it it was at full throttle. I was kneeling in front of it and it bit me before I could get out of the way. 24 stiches, 4 inside and twenty outside. You can bet I'll never do that again!