Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Hobby Lobby Senior Telemaster

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hobby Lobby Senior Telemaster

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 08:37 PM
M3220

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Lobby Senior Telemaster

I purchased a Hobby Lobby Senior Telemaster kit for my winter project. I can't find any reviews on this kit. I would like some expert ideas from pilots that have built this kit. I would like to bolt wing down to fuselage, instead of using rubber bands. Install servo for each aileron. Do I have to beef up the the plane anywhere. I plan on using a Saito 91 for power. Any help will be appreciated. This is my first kit to build. Thanks
Old 12-09-2004, 10:01 PM
SilverEagleBW
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Hobby Lobby Senior Telemaster

M3220,I have built alot of telemasters,bolting the wing on is no problem,especially with the quality of todays rubber bands(JUNK!)The only area i have had problems with was with the fuse near the stab,if you have a rough landing that is where it will break,reinforce that area and fly the heck out of it.A Saito .91 will do the job,i flew mine on an old beat up K&B .61,pulled it without a hitch.The servos in the wings are the way to go also.I found my plans for that plane a few weeks ago,going to build one and park the Senoir Kadet project.

Oh yeah.on the main spars use 1/4 spruce,won't add much weight an adds alot of stregnth to that big wing.you have any questions on building it i am right here and got my plans handy.,,,,,Slade
Old 12-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 91 will be an excellent choice. I've built and flown several. I like them best when you take all the dihedral out of the wing, make it perfectly flat full span. Yes, use a servo on each aileron with lots of throw. If you are a reasonably good pilot, also enlarge the rudder area by about 50%. No matter how you build it, a great flying plane for most purposes and very forgiving of bad piloting.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:01 PM
gow589

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Camera plane, bit of a kit bash:

http://www.rc-tech.net/per2/plane.jpg

Spring struts are robart.

Wings are bolt on.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:18 AM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm flying mine with an O.S. .65LA. It does the job easily, so your .91 will be no problem. My opinion, of course, but there isn't a better all-round flying plane. It's probably the most forgiving plane I've ever had.
Randy
Old 12-11-2004, 02:06 AM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Ditto the positives. It was the plane I learned on 20 years ago. Easy to build, almost lands itself. My instructor flew it into 10 MPH headwind and it hovered parallel to and 5 feet off the ground. You could go out and catch it in mid-air.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:00 AM
SilverEagleBW

Just looked at the plans,the main spar is 3/8x1/2 balsa.I used 1/4x 1/2 spruce for the top spar with a 1/8x1/2 balsa fill strip to get my spar height,left the bottom spar 3/8x1/2 balsa.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:54 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Built mine as A club trainer. I cut down the ailerons in half and made the inboard part into flapps just for grins. Also made up A servo actavated hatch for shoots and candy drops. I had single servos for both flaps and ailerons for A total of 7 servos in all. Power was an OS 60 and it had more then enough poop. I made the wing A bolt on and installed A push/pull elevator and A pull/pull rudder. In A stiff wind I could slow it down and fly backwards. Can't say enough on how much fun that plane was to fly, it would do stunts but they were very ugly but fun.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:37 PM
rryman

My first Senior Tele had a built in internal bomb bay. On the second one, I put dowels on the lower fuselage and made a separate Bomb bay Pod that I can just strap on when I want to use it. It has it's own servo which just plugs in. I did it this way so I can attach different pods under there, one being a rocket-assist take off pod. (as if the Telemaster needs that!) Sure looks cool though when the rockets light on take off roll.
Speaking of wing attachment, I've never bolted on a Telemaster wing. I use velcro to hold mine on. Yes, catch your breath, I did say velcro. There are 3/8" wide strips that are used just like rubber bands. One goes front and back on each side, then two strips put on diagonally. Been flying it that way for 2 1/2 years, using the same straps. No problem. They are a lot less trouble than rubber bands.Several of the guys in our club uses them. Steve Herring of Vel-Tye sells them, among other velcro things for planes.
The second Telemaster wing I built I made it a swept back and built it perfectly flat. Looks kind of strange, but surprisingly, makes very little difference in flying from the stock wing. I think you'd have to work at it to make a Telemaster fly bad.
Randy
Old 01-29-2005, 10:45 AM
PortCityFlyer

M3220,

My wife gave me a senior telemaster kit for Christmas. I framed the fuselage up last week. The wing spars were missing but Hobby Lobby shipped me some last week. My spars are listed on the plans as "pine" but they feel like birch. I have also decided to use a bolt on wing and forget the rubber bands. I am also going to use two nylon bolts for the landing gear. I am going to build an internal "bomb" bay for candy drops. I remember seeing this airplane advertised when I was in high school (1985). When I recently saw the same picture of the lovely lady and the airplane I knew I had to build one. I have a new Saito 82 that I am going to use for power. Dual aileron servos mounted mid aileron so I can mix in flaps. Interersting how some people are building the wing flat. I never though about the need to to that. I plan to cover mine in a liason aircraft scheme. The disappointment is the amount of extra things required to "finish" the airplane. I created a wish list and it is going to cost me $140 to order the hardware and covering supplies! Let me know if you have any design ideas for the bomb drop.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:16 PM
rryman

Here's how I built my bomb bay doors and mechanism.
Randy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85703.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	222228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28475.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	222229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58752.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	222230  
Old 01-29-2005, 06:45 PM
pic
My Feedback: (8)

Howdy, You say that you"ve bolted on the ST wing,yes? How did you do it?