Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Dual Purpose Uproar

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dual Purpose Uproar

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 07:16 PM
flipstart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Purpose Uproar

If I were to build the 40 size Uproar kit with bolt on wings ala the 60 size, I could build an extra set of wings with a different purpose in mind-sometimes we fly aerobatic style and sometimes end up racing each other. Just thought it would be "interesting" to change wings and have a different plane. Any thoughts from you Uproar pilots about what the other wing design should be, say for more speed with a loss in aerobatic capability?? I plan on using a OS 46 AX for power and 60+ mph would be necessary to keep from getting run over.
( most of the racing is pure fun and no real barn burners to contend with so far)

I know the Uproar is not a racing plane, just thought I might experiment for fun. About how fast would a stock Uproar go all out with the OS 46 AX turning 13000 rpm with APC 11/5. Flipstart
Old 12-14-2004, 10:46 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Dual Purpose Uproar

Just make it on the thin side and symmetrical and it could be A hot rod. That fat wing tends to slow it way down. I have never tried to build one with A bolt on wing before, should be different though.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:21 PM
flipstart

Not quite sure how to thin out the wing-unless I build a tapered wing, starting with stock thickness and tapering down to say 1" or so. Otherwise I will have a thick section for bolt on and step down to the thin section all the way to tip. Will have to ponder some on the design. Thanks Flip
Old 12-14-2004, 11:32 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Might try to taper the wing cord also. Just cant get my head around a screaming fast uproar for some reason. Always fed my need for speed with my Kaos and flew the Uproar for the insane roll factor and the "How Slow Can It Go" bit.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:24 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

You might want to be careful if you want to turn the uproar into a racer. It has some awfully big control surfaces on the tail. If you get that thing going too fast, you might have some flutter to deal with. Definitely use a thin wing if you want speed. Maybe you could match the curve of the top of your current wing to fit into your uproar and just make it thinner. Then if you added a belly pan that matched the bottom of your speed wing and the bottom of the plane, you might be able to get it to work. I'm unfamiliar to how the .60 uproar's wing attaches, so I can't really help you there.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:49 PM
flipstart

I think you may be right on the large control surfaces-each type plane has its own design criteria-probably a bad idea-still would like to have wing removable but fuse is so thin that may not be possible. For once maybe I will just follow the instructions with kit and fly the sucker. Thanks for the replies. Flip