Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Skyshark TBM Avenger

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Skyshark TBM Avenger

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 08:16 PM
halflight
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skyshark TBM Avenger

This winter I'm planning to build the Skyshark Avenger. I'm looking for some navy decals. see attached photo for the color scheme that I really think is cool. Anyone know a source for navy decals that might work??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69891.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	203732  
Old 01-15-2005, 06:40 PM
dirty fokker

Default RE: Skyshark TBM Avenger

I am also looking to build the skyshark tbm avenger.I have not thought about the finishing yet, but yours does look good.Let me know if you manage to source any decals.I might do mine the same,as it is highly unlikely that both of us would meet at the same field.goodluck.Del
Old 01-16-2005, 11:53 AM
halflight

I found a source of decal paper where you can design your own decals using a ink jet printer.
I have not ordered any yet but am anxious to try this. As soon as I complete my DeHavilland Beaver I'll start on the Avenger..a great cold weather project. The kit looks like one of the best that I have come across so far. Good luck with yours...what engine are you considering for power?
store.yahoo.com/beldecal/moddpap
Old 01-16-2005, 03:40 PM
dirty fokker

I have been told that the saito 100 is the perfect partner for this model,but I am a great admirer of the laser and I think the 100 would suit just fine.What are you considering for yours and how long have you got on your DH beaver?I am in the same boat, I have almost completed a fokker DV11 and have got a hurricane on a long term build.But the skyshark avenger looks a quality kit and would be a pleasure to build.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:08 PM
halflight

Here's a progress report on the DH Beaver. As you can see I've had a helper, Jupiter, my cat and building buddy. I have an OS .25FX for this.It's suggested for 20/30 2 stroke. I would like to install a 4 stroke but that would require major adjustment to the firewall placement and probably mess up the cg. Airsail said the .25 woud be enough power. This is my third Airsail kit, getting used to working with metric dimensions. Parts list is terrible for the Beaver, such small text hard to read. I built the Tomahawk...if flew like a rock into the ground..beware of this plane. Recently finished the RCAF version of the Chipmunk...nice looking plane but have not flown yet. Nice kits but they use a lot of plastic parts which will require painting.

Name:	Rp44806.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	217529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42911.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	217530  
Old 01-19-2005, 06:03 PM
dirty fokker

lookin good,the beaver asually fly's very well and vice free.I have not long since finished a R.A.F chipmunk by apache,these are quite large kits but are a very good to build.I have fitted it with a 32cc petrol engine and it fly's beautiful,it is quite aerobatic but will also potter around like a ***** cat.I am not sure how the airsail kit fly's,but goodluck anyway.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:34 PM
halflight

Here's the Chipmunk. I have a Saito .91 installed. we have a mall show here in February, I'm saving it for display then (and warmer weather) before I fly it. No flaps but aileron servos in both wings..don't like bellcranks. Airsail kits come with bellcranks. Also installed a stearable tailwheel.

Name:	Bz79405.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	217635  
Old 01-21-2005, 11:17 AM
Sparkie-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

The first thing I noticed about the Sky Sharks Avenger kit was how well the parts were packaged. Tightly bound in shrink wrap, separated according to when you will need them. The glass cowl is the best I've seen. When the first coat of primer went on there were no pin holes, not one. this was a first for me. Since I fly in Texas and the best flying days fall in the temps of + 90 degrees I opened the cowl flaps a little more.
The build went fine. knocking out all those lightning holes proved to be a slight pain. (Some cuts didn't burn all the way through) however you can tell right away they built several prototypes because every part fit right on the money. With all those lightning holes I figured I would glass the model so I could paint it.
When I weighed the plane couldn't believe the scale. 11 1/2 pounds ready to fly!
Considering the size of the model this is a real accomplishment.
I was in doubt that a 90 four stroke could fly a model so large so I went with a 90 two stroke.
This was a bad idea. Excessive horse power just meant that I had to throttle back to make the speed look scale. At full power it looked like a Reno air racer. At 1/4 power it looks more like a war bird, but this loaded up the glow plug. At idle the approach speeds are a little hot too.
Go with the 90 four stroke. I refitted the model with one and she flies and sounds like a war bird.

After several flights, the only problem I ran into was with the Robart tail wheel. The little plastic collar at the first bend of the wire needs to be replaced with a metal one. The problem is the collar slides past the first bend allowing the wire to slide into the plane. This miss aligns the tiller arms with the little wires that centers the gear when retracted. It also makes the connection with the servo loose.
It don't sound like much of a problem but it caused my Avenger to ground loop, The wing dug into the field and spun it around bending the retract gear. The only damage to the airframe was one small crack where the wing attaches. This is a tough bird, I thought for sure there would be more.

Name:	Lj22051.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	218488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22490.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	218489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48164.jpg
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	218490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99770.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	218491  
Old 01-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Jimmbbo

Looking good!!! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

How much time do you have in the construction?

Cheers!

Jim
Old 01-21-2005, 07:09 PM
Sparkie-RCU

about 90 hours.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:49 PM
dirty fokker

got my kit today,after reading all the instructions and staring at the box for a hour,I have constructed the right aileron. Just because I couldn't wait to start the kit.It looks like it will go together a dream,I just have to decide how much scale detail, I want to build into the model.You could really go to town with this one.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Sparkie-RCU

Dude, go crazy with the details. You wont be sorry.
Mine carries roughley 1/2 pound of unsessary weight ( details).
Turns out that on a windy day a little weight is helpful.

BTW. 23 flights to date.

The only mishap was a tire came off the rim when I let the rudder get ahead of me on a lazy takeoff roll.

Watch those cross wind takeoffs.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:09 PM
dirty fokker

did you make the sliding canopy and the turning turret,if so how did you do it as i would like to do this myself.also can you get a cockpit fittings kit as an extra,can't source one over here.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Mizzou

I have an OS 91 four-stroke in my Avenger. I glassed with .7 oz cloth using Z-poxy. Painted the dark gray with auto primer and then sprayed with clear satin. The white came from Wal-Mart. Interior-exterior spray. Spring Air retracts. Biggest difficulty was having to add 32 oz. of lead to the nose. This stresses the gear blocks unless you set her down right on the button. Don't use the main spar as a balance point. The plan as shown is correct. The plane flies scale and has plenty of power.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:01 PM
rcmiket

Why so much lead in the nose? -Mike
Old 03-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Sparkie-RCU

Mine took lead in the nose too. Not that much though. I put my ballast in the cowl, lead shot bonded in the ring formed by the lip of the inlet.

I didn't make the turret turn because of the flat spot on the back of the turret.
The flat spot is needed to clear the aft bulkhead.
With a little engineering I'd bet it could be done.
The sliding canopy would be a very good idea, with the backend opened the way it is I've wondered how I'm going to get dust from the field out once it gets in there.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:42 PM
dirty fokker

thanks I think I will make it a sliding canopy,was the original aircraft open at the back of the canopy?also I have now constucted all the turning surfaces,the ailerons,elevators and rudder the plan sugests using monocote to cover these, could you tell me what you used?. I personally like solartex as I have used this on most of my models in the past,but I am willing to try anything once.I like to finish items as I have constructed them,this stops the elements warping them and distorting them.Also do you know about the cockpit fittings kit I would like to get my hands on one if they are available.

thanks very much DEL
Old 03-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Sparkie-RCU

I covered mine with solartex also.
You cant beat the cloth appearance it has.

I didn't get the interior kit. The people in mine were carved from foam.
And the rest came with the kit. There was more there than Most kits come with.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:34 PM
dirty fokker

I know you have fitted yours with a 90 four stroke and this gives it a more scale look,but my concern is I fly from a grass field with a 3foot fence at either end, so slow scale take offs are not always an option.do you think this will be enough power for me.I have been advised a laser 150 gives the extra power and the bigger prop gives it a more scale appearance.THis would also give the nose extra weight so avoiding putting lead in it.What do you think?
Old 03-30-2005, 04:31 PM
Sparkie-RCU

The take off roll on mine is about 125 ft. ( on grass)
10 seconds later I'm at an altitude of 30 ft. if I push it.
She gets a little mushy if you get greedy on the climb rate.
(If you make her do a full bore stall she wont snap on you so I have played with the climb rate a bit.)

My concern for you is if you go with even a 120 you will have to throttle back to keep it from looking like a Reno air racer on the fly-bys.
Throttling back is not normally a problem but if you do it long enough the plug might load up then you will be "deadstick".
[X(]

Since you have fences to deal with I think I would be more worried with getting it back on the ground. On the first few flights she overshot my intended touch down spot by 60 ft.
A real floater this one is.
I have found that if you apply about 1/8 power until the wheels get about 2 ft from the grass then go to idle she will sit down easy once she slows down.

When you are concerned about the ballast take a look at the wing.
My heart sunk when I found out how much weight it took to balance her, I hate to add lead.
It turns out that if it were any lighter the wind would only kick her around.

One more thing, She has a big rudder. Practice your takeoff roll if you can. I'm almost afraid to take mine to a paved runway because it has nearly got away from me on cross wind days.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:05 PM
Jax RC

Great thread on the Avenger. I just finished the Skyshark Val bomber, and it looks great and it's guaranteed that there wont be another one at the flying field. If you are going to do one, look out for the very fragile formers around the cockpit, and my was very tail heavy. Also, the wing fillets are difficult to do (ABS plastic). I'd do those different if I had a chance to.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:47 PM
mtnmnstr
My Feedback: (2)

Hay halflight
I have the same beaver kit. how is it to build? I got mine in last year but I got in "TROUBLE" with the wife so when I finish her bathroom I can start to build it. In the mean time I've built 4 other planes. Let me know how it flys and should I do any thing differant on mine? I'm also looking at a SkyShark kit. How is it?

gene
Old 03-31-2005, 08:36 PM
halflight

Wives..what would we do without them..build and fly more. Last
April I spent an entire month painting the inside of our house, 8 rooms, window frames and 25 doors before I said I would build any more airplanes. I'm one of the lucky ones though, she also flys(a Goldberg Eagle 2 trainer that we both learned on). Regarding the Beaver kit -get used to working with metric on everything..instruction manual not illustrated-read carefully so not to get into trouble..no photo illustrations.nice kit though. Not much room for engine. I have not flown it yet, I have an OS .25fx with 2 oz brass spinner.seems to be balanced OK. The Skyshark kit is the best I have come across..nice wood-even the ply. instructions very good and lazer cut pieces fit tight. I have included a progress attachment.

have fun.

Name:	Lj23690.jpg
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	252057  
Old 03-31-2005, 10:08 PM
Bill Butchart

Just purchased Sky Shark Avenger. very impressed with the way it arrived. Any tips on construction would be appreciated. Just A note When I finish the plane it will be done in the Squadron of Senior George
Bush> My Cousin Flew in the same Squadron and flew with Bush. Will be getting the info from him Shortly.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:19 AM
halflight

Just be careful with these small trailing edge ribs...I broke several of them
handling the wing..this will be fine once it is sheeted

Name:	Ig12527.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	252357  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.