Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Ultrakote or Monokote?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Ultrakote or Monokote?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 09:28 PM
bryris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultrakote or Monokote?

I am about to go out of town for a Christmas trip with the family, but I am going to get the stuff I need before I go, that way when I come back, I can finish this thing up. My goal was to have this LT-40 completely built by Jan 9th. I think I am on target for that, so I am excited.

Anyway, I am about ready to start covering this thing. I have never covered an airplane before. I have always been partial to white/maroon/grey colors. So I am going to do the airplane in these colors. The two images below are the best examples that I have found in this scheme.

For a first covering job, what material would be the best to use?
For a color scheme such as the one on the left, how many rolls of each color should it take to do that?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21460.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	203766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66804.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	203767  
Old 12-16-2004, 11:17 PM
ghendrix01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ultrakote or Monokote?

Knowing the size of the LT40, you should be able to get by with 1 roll of each color depending on how much of each color is used. If you cover the bottom of the wing and horizontal stabilizer white and then cover the rest of the plane as in either of the pictures you provided, I think you can still get by with 1 roll of each color. It does appear that there is more white so you might get 2 rolls of white. Save what is left over for your next plane or, heaven forbid, repairs to the LT40.
I am partial to Monocoat, but Ultracoat is also very good. Everyone has their favorite (read Ford or Chevy). Just read the instructions that come with the covering of your choice. Dont' be afraid to stretch the covering material around the curves. Use ample heat when stretching.

George
Old 12-17-2004, 07:39 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I prefer Monokote myself. I believe it requires a little more heat than ultracoat. I also believe it might be just a bit thicker. Some people say that those two properties make Monokote more difficult to work with. But I believe it resists sagging better and is more durable. I have never been in a hobby shop that doesn't sell Monokote. You might check the shop nearest you and see what they carry. It might just come down to that. What can I run out and buy quickly ? I believe that they are both good. Monokoate does have many colors to choose from and they do have a line of paints designed to match them, ( althought the paints are difficult to work with). Having matching paints becomes a huge advantage when building models with fiberglass cowlings or wheel pants that need to be painted in matching colors. The cowl on this T28 is painted with Topflites matching paints. same with the Chipmunk

Name:	Nl28821.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	203922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49164.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	203923  
Old 12-17-2004, 09:34 AM
waagbuck

I have never seen the results of a real poll on the subject, but I believe you'll find that most people who've used both ultracote and monocote prefer ultracote. I certainly do.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:50 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

With me, it depends on the color (at the moment I'm kinda hooked on metallic purple - monokote).
Old 12-17-2004, 10:04 AM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

switched to ultracoat......... never looked back.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:39 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigbri

switched to ultracoat......... never looked back.
Ditto

I've used Mk since it first came out.

First time I tried UC, I was sold.

I do still use MK occasionally, but only when I need a certain color.

But the way I see it, UC is easier to use, it goes around corners MUCH easier, and I love the white paper backing cause you can draw out designs before cutting them

Oh yea... And it tastes great and it's less filling!
Old 12-17-2004, 10:45 AM
CRFlyer

I have used both monokote and ultrakote, and as others have said, ultrakote is much easier to use.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:07 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used both. Both require slightly different techniques. I like the colors Monokote has available. The other deciding factor for me is the local hobby shop only carries Monokote.

John
Old 12-17-2004, 03:08 PM
Test005

Ultracote is Oracover here in Europe, right?
Old 12-17-2004, 10:07 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Test005

Ultracote is Oracover here in Europe, right?
Yes, in fact, the backing paper from Ultracote says "Oracover" right on it
Old 12-18-2004, 01:00 AM
bryris

I ordered some Ultracote tonight. Two white rolls and Two dark red rolls to make it look like the airplane in the left picture in the first post. I think that will be my goal. The stuff should arrive while I am on vacation, so when I get back, I can hit the ground running.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:37 AM
ekir

I have used both and my covering work is better with Ultrakote. I have a friend that would not use anything by Monokote and his work is first class. Try both and see which one you prefer.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:31 PM
nitrobasher

iv used both and I am no longer going to use monokote, sure it does the job, but it also bubbles and doesnt shring ver well. and if your a beginer like me then you need it to shrink. of course i dont have a heat gun.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

UC for me. I used Mono for some time but after the Ultra I would never go back. After it has been shrunk and set in the hot CA sun I go home and tighten it up, after doing that A couple of times it almost never bubbles or sags. Very user friendly. JMO
Old 12-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

I think you are seeing the trend here... Ultracote is much better to work with... I have found that it shrinks more and stays shrunk better. It's also a bit better when you are layering... Ultracote produces less gas and therefore less bubbles.

I used to cover with Monokote... then when I tried Ultracote... I too never looked back.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:13 AM
winship

Has anyone used the new SIG AeroKote? They are advertising two weights of this stuff which is good.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:11 PM
captainpitts-RCU
My Feedback: (24)

I too like the ultracote better and an added benefit is the paint they sale to match it, it is awesome. Very easy to use. I always tried to match colors of u.c. with lusterkote because it is the paint the lhs sales. For one you have to put so many fine layers of it on so it won't run and it is just a pain. Now the u.c. paint if you can use rustolim or plasticote from wal-mart you can use this stuff. Ultracote all the way.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:07 PM
BUflyer

I too am a guy who once used monocote and never will again. I used Ultracote, and before the first piece was fully applied, I was hooked.

I don't think i have ever heard of a guy who used ultracote then switched to monocote and will never go back, but there are numerous the other way around.

Take the people's advice and go with the ultracote, let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:45 PM
JNorton

Listening to some of these Monokote vs Ultracote pi**ing matches is hilarious. I don't care what covering you use. It all takes time and talent to get a good job. Before all the hype over Ultrcote is done you'll have the newbees believing all they have to do is make a bag throw the airplane in and shrink. Presto a perfect fit. Kinda reminds me of the guy that buys all Snap-On wrenches thinking it will make him a better mechanic!

How about a sense of reality. One plastic coating is just not that much better than another. They are different and each has it's strengths and weakness. The best jobs are still silk and dope or painted glass.

Just my 2 cents,

Please resume the show and pass the popcorn!

John
Old 12-23-2004, 07:53 PM
RCPilot100

I guess I run different than most here - I have used both - and will not go back to UC. I spend too much time sanding and covering - and I cannot get the same results with UC that I do with MK. Granted, when I was first learning how to cover, I had better looking results with UC. Now some twenty years later - after much reading - much trial and error - watching Faye Stilly give covering demos - I use nothing but MK when I want a platic covering. You can go around curves - stretch - do things with MK that you just cannot do with UC.

Dan
Old 12-24-2004, 12:22 AM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this, for me, is a no brainer. I have assembled less than 15 kits and repaired maybe another 10 to 15 planes, far less than alot of people. But I can tell you one thing Ultacoat is by far the easiest and best to work with covering for someone with my skill level. It makes my work look alot better.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:28 AM
Daryl_y

In the last couple of months I have covered 2 planes one with monokote and one with ultracoat. IMO Ultracoat is only SLIGHTLY easier to use than monokote yes it does shrink easier but does not quite drum tight like mk does also because it is a polyester it is more difficult to cut and to get clean lines. provided UC makes the colors I want I will prob use them from here on because it seems to me that all the uc colors behave pretty much the same even the dark colors like carbon fiber or black behave well. Unlike MK where colors like white, aluminium and some other dark colors can be a real b*tch to cover with. BTW I wish Ulrtacoat would make a line of flat and scale aircraft colors like MK has
Old 12-24-2004, 09:12 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I’ve used all the different types of covering and other than silk and dope, MonoKote gives the best finish, but you must know how to use plastic covings! Knowing how to use plastic covering is a big problem for many modelers in the ARF world that we live in today. The one negative with any of the plastic coverings is that after 20 to 25 years of sunlight exposure it becomes brittle and can be easily punctured in the open wing areas. It’s Not a problem though if there are no open areas in the structure. I also like the way Monokote looks when it has been polished with automotive wax. But, I’m going to start telling everyone that I use Ultrakote so they will not be able to duplicate the look of my work. ;-)

Name:	Xv63102.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	206352  
Old 12-24-2004, 06:18 PM
bryris

I just got back into town from a Pre-Christmas cruise with the family. I got a chance to unwind and relax for a while. Based on the responses that I got here, I went ahead and ordered four rolls of ultracote before I left on the trip - Deep Red (2) and White (2). They arrived while I was gone. So after Christmas, I am gonna start covering it. I'll show some pictures along the way. I am going to take my time and do as good a job as I can possibly do.

Merry Christmas to all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.