Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

First Kit GP RV-4

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

First Kit GP RV-4

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 03:20 AM
Transam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Kit GP RV-4

I started my first kit. It is a GP RV-4. Since I am new to this and just learning I thought that I might start a thread with my experiences and lessons learned over the course of this build. I have learned so far that best way for me to get the right fit on the stab and elevator is to use a belt/disk sander. I started the stab without it and the parts are going to need some sanding with a block to get them trued up. I built the elevator with the use of the disk sander and the difference is night and day. Here are some pics. I hope this might help some other beginners, and encourage others that might think they don't have the ability to build a kit. This is all my work so far, I have absolutely zero previous wood work skills and no other building experience. If I can do it any one can just got to jump in and get dirty.

T/A
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69428.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	204204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53855.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	204205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58983.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	204206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72280.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	204207  
Old 12-18-2004, 12:38 PM
cruzmissile

Default RE: First Kit GP RV-4

Yes, building experience will be gained as the learning curve increases with the increased building, but there will be faults learned and mistakes made during building process. As long as you keep your mistakes to a minimum, the plane will be built fairly well.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:35 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep going full speed ahead....it is one nice building kit!

Jerry
Old 12-20-2004, 12:36 PM
ksechler

I too am building ... uhmm ... rebuilding a GP RV-4. I planted mine not too long ago, and it was 100% pilot error. This is a GREAT model. I can't wait to get mine back in the air. It was my favorite model.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:34 PM
Transam

I will post pics later. I have the vertical stab and rudder built. I know these are the easy parts but I have not had any problems so far. I am really enjoying it more than I thought i would.

T/A
Old 12-20-2004, 07:13 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

I'm in the same boat you are. I just started my first kit a couple of weeks ago. You can see it here : http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/My_f...2409030/tm.htm

So far, so good. The RV-4's a good looking plane, good luck with it.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:56 PM
Transam

Looks like you are quite aways farther along than I am there gravity. Yours is coming along nicely. Have you learned any tricks to pass on to a newby? Besides going slow and do it right the first time.

T/A
Old 12-21-2004, 12:58 AM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

As a newby to a newby that's the best advice I can give you. Take it slow and do it right the first time. I've made a couple of mistakes by rushing it. You've read my post's, don't do what I did. Other than that, it's coming along well, and I've really learned alot by building my own plane. BTW, I have an '85 Trans Am. Judging by your name I thuoght that might be relevant.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:53 AM
Transam

Yeah gravity definitely relevant. I have owned them sice I was a kid. Had 79, 92, and a 95 Ram Air. I love them. But now I go to a flight school and it is 60 miles one way so I had to buy a beater car to save some $$$ on gas. So the 95 is sitting collecting dust until after I am done with school. So probably for another few years any how. Well I have the vertical stab and rudder built just have to let dry so I can sand them tomorrow. I am doing most of the plane with wood glue to try that out. Gives me time if I make a mistake to hopefully catch it and fix it. Next step wings, but by reading the directions it doesn't seem like they will be too difficult. Here are some more pics.

T/A

Name:	Bz78882.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	205185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11035.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	205186  
Old 12-22-2004, 02:58 AM
Transam

Got started on the wings today. I had to read the directions a little closer here. I think this is where I am going to start having questions. But so far so good. Here are some pics of my progress.

Name:	Jh15529.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	205561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74192.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	205562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33283.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	205563  
Old 12-22-2004, 09:21 AM
tailskid

Nice building surface!

Jerry
Old 12-22-2004, 02:07 PM
Transam

I figured if I got the 1/2" ply and clamped it to the table it would make a pretty decent surface. And it is nice and level to. When I pin stuff down just a little more pressure and it does not come loose. It has worked great so far. I do have one question. I am to the point now where I sheet the top from the leading edge to the spar, should I soak the balsa sheeting in hot water then pin it and glue it down? Is this the best method? Thanks in advance.

T/A
Old 12-22-2004, 05:46 PM
tailskid

I like to glue it to the leading edge and let that dry. Then wet the sheeting and use wood glue on the ribs, thick CA on the spar. Fold it down from the center and work outwards. To make sure it sticks to the spar, spray the portion of the sheeting that will touch the spar with kicker BEFORE you glue anything. And glue that on the other side of the room - those fumes should be kept far away from the CA!

Jerry
Old 12-22-2004, 05:52 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of the time, you don't have to even wet sheeting for the wing. If you dry-fit and carefully wrap the sheeting over the ribs, you can see if it does need wetting. You don't have to "soak" the wood. Usually wiping the outer surface with a damp or wet sponge or rag will cause the sheet to start to curl in the right direction.

Many times, I've applied the carpenter's glue, applied the sheet and pinned and taped it into place. Make sure the wing is securely-pinned to the building board when you glue the first sheet on. This makes sure the wing stays straight and no unplanned twist gets built into it. Don't remove the wing from the board until the balsa and glue are completely dry/cured.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:50 PM
Transam

I am going to have to wet it a little. I like tailskids idea of gluing just the leading edge and then work it after that is dry. Bax thanks for saving me the hassle. I was going to soak it, it makes much more sence to just wet as needed. I am at work now but I will post the results when I get home tonight. Thanks all.

T/A
Old 01-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Transam

Well I have now got both the top and bottom sheeting on. It has a few dents where I used a little to much pressure on the clamps but nothing a little filler and sanding can't cure. I will post pics later. But coming along after a little holiday hiatis.

T/A
Old 01-03-2005, 10:19 AM
DaveB

Transam,

Before you fill the dents with filler, try wetting the dented areas with water (real modelers use spit), letting them soak for a while, and them heat the area with your covering iron. Those dents will very likely disappear. At the very least they will shrink considerably.

DaveB
Old 01-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

DaveB has it right!

A drop of water and a hot covering iron will remove a LOT of dents/dings. The iron has to be hot enough to instantly 'sizzle' the drop. You just put a drop of water in the ding and set the iron over it. You'll hear the water sizzle, and PRESTO! you remove the iron to see the ding is gone. Usually, it expands a bit proud of the surface, but it can be sanded smooth. Only the worst dings that have actual broken fibers won't come out all the way, but most small ones will.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Transam

Whew after a long hiatus to finish off my pilot license I finally have time to get back on my RV-4 project. It has sat for too long. Thanks for all the advice and I am sure i will have more questions so please continue the help. Thanks.

T/A
Old 07-28-2005, 01:36 PM
MormonMike

Transam, I wondered whatever happened to you. Glad you started to build this. I think I remember telling you that I did two of these, One being an RV-8 conversion, .61 ST with a wider fuse and a bigger fuel tank. Also made a mounting plate so as to attach floats. I fly out of Benson marina and sometimes Cutler dam just north of Brigham. Old Larry Hawkes seems to enjoy it there. Post some photos of your RV, Seeya, MM
Old 07-28-2005, 02:01 PM
hitcttd
My Feedback: (8)

Good luck with your Kit. I just finished mine, it's somewhere at the bottom of the message board. Great looking plane. I can't wait to fly it. What engine are you going to use?
Old 08-20-2005, 09:00 PM
ebgclef

I am building my first RC and I have 2 kits. An RV-4 40 and a GP Super Decathlon 40. Not sure wich to start first. The Dec is a little smaller and it looks more simple. I'm very excited about my venture. If you could, send me any info and tips you have stumbled across during your build. [email protected]. Thank you.
Eugene
Old 08-21-2005, 12:03 PM
tailskid

ebgclef,

First of all Welcome to 'our little corner of the world'!

As far as which kit to build, I have built the RV-4 and loved the way it went together. The only 'problem' with the Decatholon is that I've heard they like to snap/stall. At least that was the story on the earlier kits....of course there is always a solution to that by adding some reflex to the ailerons.....but if you favor one or the other - GO FOR IT!

And keep us posted....

Jerry