Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Corsair Kit Building "Lessons Learned"

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Corsair Kit Building "Lessons Learned"

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 06:36 AM
rwright142

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corsair Kit Building "Lessons Learned"

Has anyone created a !QUOT!Lessons Learned!QUOT! document that outlines what needed to be changed with the TP 1/8 scale F4U Corsair? I have found that some of the parts do not fit exactly as the plans show and of course I did not notice them while reading the instructions .

I would like to have this be a 'static display' model since I have made a few mistakes so if anyone has an engine that no longer works and would be willing to part with it that would be great too. Even it all of the parts are missing I could use it to hold the prop.

What I am going to do is skin and cover 1/2 of it on one side so I can see the insides. I will hang this from the ceiling so I can marvel at the expensive display of human ignorance.

Luckily the wife doesn't know how much grocery money I have embezzled!

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Richard
Old 12-27-2004, 07:19 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Corsair Kit Building "Lessons Learned"

Aw come on, it can't be THAT bad. You would be amazed at the mistakes you can cover up and still have a great flying airplane (Don't ask me how I know )
Old 12-27-2004, 07:24 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With a big enough motor anything will fly
Old 12-27-2004, 07:49 AM
rwright142

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Aw come on, it can't be THAT bad. You would be amazed at the mistakes you can cover up and still have a great flying airplane (Don't ask me how I know )
It's starting to look more like a cluster of popsicle sticks. Maybe I should have used a different color of duct tape?
Old 12-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fly or die! How can you make room for another plane with that one taking up space.
Edwin

No Hanger Queens.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:44 AM
rwright142

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Fly or die! How can you make room for another plane with that one taking up space.
Edwin

No Hanger Queens.
I fly a trainer currently... To make room for another plane, I would merely move the one I am working on.

Hangar Queen? Not familiar with that one, perhaps you will enlighten me.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:50 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A Hangar queen is a plane that never makes it to the flying field. It just hangs from a ceiling somewhere. Now as for the Corsair, I have built the plane and not had any troubles with it. You might consider looking into the support forums here on RCU and asking Bax your questions about the kit. Just a thought and Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-27-2004, 10:53 AM
rwright142

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

A Hangar queen is a plane that never makes it to the flying field. It just hangs from a ceiling somewhere. Now as for the Corsair, I have built the plane and not had any troubles with it. You might consider looking into the support forums here on RCU and asking Bax your questions about the kit. Just a thought and Good Luck, Dave
Thanks for the info!
Old 12-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Doug D.

Hmmmmm! Never had to many problems with the parts fit in the TF Corsair. And I've built two of them. I'll admit that the die crunching leaves a bit to be desired. The first one was bad, the second was better. But most parts did fit.
What went wrong for you ???
Old 12-27-2004, 05:22 PM
rwright142

ORIGINAL: Doug D.

Hmmmmm! Never had to many problems with the parts fit in the TF Corsair. And I've built two of them. I'll admit that the die crunching leaves a bit to be desired. The first one was bad, the second was better. But most parts did fit.
What went wrong for you ???

What went 'wrong' was really my inexperience. For example, on the plans, the forward and aft top sheeting shows sharp cuts. When I assembled them, I noticed (a few pages later) that they should be curved. Many of the items are purely cosmetic and I am sure that if I had more experience I will notice the little things and will be able to better scrutinize them. I also thought that on a few items it would have been better to do more preparation before assembly. I saw where the instructions said to assemble this, then later it says to drill a hole in it. Well it would have been better to drill before assembly, etc. I can't remember specifics right now but a few things like that would have been nice to know. The reason for my post was to see if anyone had some other experiences further along in the process that they could share.

When you built your 2nd Corsair, did you do anything different?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:07 PM
rcdude37

if the fuse is straight and the wing isn't warped it'll fly!..... you never know, it might look better the second time!?!?!?
sounds like you made it out of popsickle sticks and ducktape!.... thats how they get that "real" look on them jets and stuff!
Old 12-28-2004, 06:42 AM
rwright142

ORIGINAL: rcdude37

if the fuse is straight and the wing isn't warped it'll fly!..... you never know, it might look better the second time!?!?!?
sounds like you made it out of popsickle sticks and ducktape!.... thats how they get that "real" look on them jets and stuff!
Good point. I'm sure the 2nd time will be better because of what I had learned. I have heard that duct tape is an FAA approved temporary fix. Scary huh..

Thanks for your comments. Now I have to go and get a 1/4 - 20 tap that I will only use a couple of times, unless it is used for other planes...
Old 12-28-2004, 08:08 PM
Doug D.

Built both of them pretty much the same. The first one crashed after power failure on take off. I did a better job of mounting the cowl on the second one.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:45 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: rwright142
Now I have to go and get a 1/4 - 20 tap that I will only use a couple of times, unless it is used for other planes...
I used mine several times this year alone. I use it to tap holes for nylon wing bolts.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:30 AM
rwright142

I'd love to see pictures if you have any.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:31 AM
rwright142

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: rwright142
Now I have to go and get a 1/4 - 20 tap that I will only use a couple of times, unless it is used for other planes...
I used mine several times this year alone. I use it to tap holes for nylon wing bolts.
That is what I am using this one for. I tapped the holes last night. Should I use CA to strenghten them?

Thanks for your reply.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:10 AM
CafeenMan

Sounds like YOU should do the lessons learned thread. It might enlighten other builders who take on projects that they might not be ready for.

Also, you CAN sand off all the sheeting and try again. I sand off sheets whenever I'm not satisfied with them. Part of becoming a good builder is knowing when to try again instead of forcing the issue.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:19 AM
rwright142

ORIGINAL: CafeenMan

Sounds like YOU should do the lessons learned thread. It might enlighten other builders who take on projects that they might not be ready for.

Also, you CAN sand off all the sheeting and try again. I sand off sheets whenever I'm not satisfied with them. Part of becoming a good builder is knowing when to try again instead of forcing the issue.
hahaha, you have me pegged.

My goal was to build a flyable Corsair and I was pretty sure this first attempt would not be airworthy. I was willing to spend the money, take my time, and learn from others and the experience. It was an expensive lesson, but what the heck, we eat too much anyway.

I would certainly be willing to share my experiences but I figured I would receive a lot of "been there, done that" replies. I'll go through my log and list what I found and will post them. Maybe there is someone out there that may benefit from them. We all need some humor in our lives
Old 12-29-2004, 09:15 AM
Edwin

RW,
If you do plan on doing much building in the future, you'll find that tap to be pretty handy. I use it on every plane I build. Pretty much a standard for wing fastening. As for removing sheeting you're not satisfied with, I've done it more than a few times. Just sacrifice the sheeting and cut, grind and sand off. It may be time consuming but you feel a whole lot better when it comes time to fly knowing that you did that part right.
Edwin
Old 12-29-2004, 09:17 AM
rwright142

RW,
If you do plan on doing much building in the future, you'll find that tap to be pretty handy. I use it on every plane I build. Pretty much a standard for wing fastening. As for removing sheeting you're not satisfied with, I've done it more than a few times. Just sacrifice the sheeting and cut, grind and sand off. It may be time consuming but you feel a whole lot better when it comes time to fly knowing that you did that part right.
Edwin
Thx for the tip. I definitely plan on building more. I will keep the tap.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:18 AM
Edwin

Oh yeah, almost forgot. YES, do use CA to harden the threads. Run the tap thru again after its cured. I used to use T-nuts but done bother anymore. On a plane this size, if you hit that hard, its the least of your problems.
Edwin
Old 12-29-2004, 10:31 AM
rwright142

Oh yeah, almost forgot. YES, do use CA to harden the threads. Run the tap thru again after its cured. I used to use T-nuts but done bother anymore. On a plane this size, if you hit that hard, its the least of your problems.
Edwin
Thanks!
Old 12-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Edwin

When you do get ready to fly it, search around for some flying tips here. It would be helpfull. I found on all the corsairs I've flown that all the rudder you can get is good, but be carefull with elevator. It doesnt take that much to be overly sensitive. Set ailerons to the recommended and you should be ok. Its really helpfull to setup dual rates and dial in some expo. There are some flying tips at rcwarbirds.com that is good reading. If you get a tail waggle at high speed, dont worry about it. Thats normal, every corsair I've flown does it. Its turbulance from behind the canopy. I love flying corsairs, pretty much my passion.
Edwin
Old 12-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Daryl_y

I second most everybody else here. IF your wings and the fuse a straight IE not visably warped when standing a couple of feet away from it it will fly. (even if it is warped that bad you can still sometimes fix it) You said before most your mistakes are cosmetic they can prob be fixed or hidden with a little bit of work or just left alone since the are cosmetic right? If you have dents, bulges or uneven curves in your shetting they can be fixed with spot n' glaze or bondo (yes I know) Or get some help from and experinced builder to help fix some of your mistakes. Sand it smooth and put the covering on tight, these are great looking planes and even an average or mediocre effort will still look quite good. If it looks better than Hanger 9 or GP Corrsair ARF considered your building a success if not fly it anyway and do better on the next one.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:21 PM
randy41

I would correct it to the best of your ability.
Take to the field and fly it you might be suprised.
No hanger Queens for me. Iam with the genntlemen
that said FLY OR CRASH.

If i build it i will fly it one way or the other. LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.