Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

something Extra flight Report

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

something Extra flight Report

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 12:16 PM
Daryl_y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default something Extra flight Report

After having to clean out my shorts on a near disastrous maiden flight. It was a cloudy windy day and I had guessed wrong on the amount of elevator control I could handle. I got her down readjusted my dual rate and flew her again the next day when it was sunny and calm. After a little bit of tweaking my SE is turning into a very nice flying plane although its nose tends to pitch down in corners requiring quite a bit of opp rudder to hold the nose up. ( is this typical of other SE's) The plane is balanced both CG and latterly and flies straight and level with only a few clicks (like 3) of up elevator. I have max control throws set per instructions 2!QUOT! up and down on the elevator and nearly the recommended 2!QUOT! up and down on the ailerons ( can't quite get the 2!QUOT! cause my control horns will hit the bottom of the wing ha! ha! ha! ). after trying I have decided that flying at these rates are INSANE high rates are set to 75% of max throw on elevator and aileron and low rate are set to 60% elevator and 50% ailerons. What about Prop selction I am using an older (but very few flights on it) OS .46 SE my first 2 flights were with a 10 x 7 apc prop which made it fly like a bat out of hell. My next flight was with a 11 x 6 apc airspeed was reduced slightly vertical was the same decent but not out of sight) but the engine loaded up and died partly through the flight which made me think it didn't like the prop. So I went back to the 10 x7 and flew my next few flights at 1 /2 throttle. ( very little difference in airspeed between 1/2 and full throttle with this prop) A friend of mine who flies a twist sys the instructions recommends a 12.25 x 3 prop for .46 sized engines. What size props do you guys recommend ?
Old 12-30-2004, 11:05 PM
voyager_663rd

Default RE: something Extra flight Report

12x4 APC (with stock landing gear) flew mine real nice for 3d work.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:57 PM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

Daryl,

My first SSE I set the controls up per the manual and was GLAD that when I got to the field someone recommended that I dial it down some. The first flight was crazy, scared the crap out of me. I used a .46FX with a 11X6 prop, it handled it great. I'm getting another SSE and plan on using the same setup.

Hope you enjoy yours like I did, and soon will again.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:46 AM
woodbutcher

12 X 4 APC on a OS 46 FX. Really like this combination.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Daryl_y

I have tried several props my engine can't seem to handle the large fun fly props like 12.25 X 3.75 engine would only turn about 10k a little slow, with 6 or 7 pitch props airspeed seems too fast esp for a fun -fly / 3d type plane. The best prop I have found so far is a 11 x 5 I am sure that either an 11 x 4 or 11 x 5 is going to be the match just have to experiment a little more.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

My 46FX loves to fly 11X6 props. If you have a hard time getting yours to work I think you may have a tuning problem. I have used the 12.25X3.75 prop and it does fly slower, but then it's suppose to fly slower. That prop gives you more torque; have to give up speed for torque or vice versa.