Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Hog Bipe Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Hog Bipe Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 07:02 PM
AlwaysBring2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Hog Bipe Build

I have been building my Hog throughout the winter and will be ready to go with it this summer.  Reading this thread has inspired me to get creative with the build as well, my hog will fly with an ASP 91 inverted.  The tank was dropped to the floor in the nose and leveled out with angle stock.  Additionally I opted for a fuel DOT and a headlock set up.  The forward turtle deck was made into a hatch and is held in place with magnets, access is key and all of thiose connections make me a bit nervous.  Landing gear is up 1/2 inch, elevator & tail are reshaped and enlarged as well.  Hope to maiden in May and plan to fly the covering off of it!  This plane was/is a great platform to play around with mods.  Clear skies to all this upcoming season.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:45 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: AlwaysBring2

I have been building my Hog throughout the winter and will be ready to go with it this summer. Reading this thread has inspired me to get creative with the build as well, my hog will fly with an ASP 91 inverted. The tank was dropped to the floor in the nose and leveled out with angle stock. Additionally I opted for a fuel DOT and a headlock set up. The forward turtle deck was made into a hatch and is held in place with magnets, access is key and all of thiose connections make me a bit nervous. Landing gear is up 1/2 inch, elevator & tail are reshaped and enlarged as well. Hope to maiden in May and plan to fly the covering off of it! This plane was/is a great platform to play around with mods. Clear skies to all this upcoming season.

OH you CAN'T go and tell us all that and all the mods to it WITHOUT pics.... Post some up and stop making us long time hog owners wonder what improvements you made the WE didn't think of lol

Dauntae
Old 03-09-2013, 09:39 AM
AlwaysBring2

Sorry all, I have never posted a pic to this site before.  I will, but have to learn how!

Old 03-14-2013, 06:10 PM
AlwaysBring2

OK there are 3 Pics in my gallery, I figured that much out so please take a look and let me know what you think. I will be completing more this week end and will continue to add photo's to the gallery.

Thanks All!
Old 03-15-2013, 03:01 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: AlwaysBring2

OK there are 3 Pics in my gallery, I figured that much out so please take a look and let me know what you think. I will be completing more this week end and will continue to add photo's to the gallery.

Thanks All!
All looks real nice.

Bob
Old 08-18-2013, 12:32 PM
lumps

Ah slight problem, I have just gone to start my build and I dont have any plans, i have the instructions but dont have plans, i am in UK and cant find any locally can anyone help even scanned images which i could re size and use, any help welcome thanks, lumps
Old 08-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Owl
My Feedback: (8)

sent you a pm lumps.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:45 AM
TomH
My Feedback: (4)

Ok I'm getting ready to start my hog bld. Read and took notes on the changes that you have made, and I intend to make them as well. my kit comes with the parts to configure two servos for ail. So I will do that as well. Just a few questions. What type/torque servos do most of you use. And has anyone put tthe rudder an elv. Servos in the rear of fuse. I don't know if using my 91 surpass II will make it nose heavy from the start. Is this plane typically nose heavy or tail heavy. I figure servos in the rear frees up fuse space. I also have a lot of new 10oz. Tanks, I know it call for 12 oz. but would the 10oz. Really be an issue with the 91. I most likely won't be flying much past half throttle, should be good for at least 10 min.
thanks
T
Old 09-28-2013, 11:14 AM
johnboy151a
My Feedback: (68)

I'll be watching too Tom!
Old 09-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Smashmaster

There is no advantage to putting servos in the tail. I have a Saito 100 on mine,and it pretty much balanced spot on. I just moved the RX battery.
I have DS610 servos in mine. I found no need to change anything,except a hatch up front to get to the fuel tank. I used 2 aileron servos,but that's not really a mod.
The airplane comes out pretty heavy by todays standards,and the weight of 2 servos in the tail is a spit in the river. But flies just fine being a "Hog"
Old 01-29-2014, 02:36 AM
peterreebok

Bought a astro hog and hog bipe kit about two months ago.
started the astro a month ago, and finished it this week.
started the hog bipe today.
interesting to see the differences in what are similar models.
am electrifying all my models. The hog bipe will have a 90 size outrunner in it.
very easy to add a battery tray, top hatch for the battery, and fill in the top of the fuse cheeks.
Will post bragging pics as I reach milestones.
planes I am flying atmo are a telemaster 40, calmato, and a sig rascal. And some gliders, and some cp helis to keep my coordination going.
really enjoy the building process. Have had a few strokes, and it has helped me to regain use of my left hand.
Really handy!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:03 PM
peterreebok

After 2 days of building, only a few hrs though, as it is 40 c here in oz, i have the fuselage almost finished, and the top wing finished.
goes together straight and easily too.
You really have to prefit a few steps ahead to make sure you dont make any errors,as the instructions can be vague if you dont plan ahead. Wont take long if this is an indication. Woo hoo!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:19 PM
peterreebok

See what can be done in a week!
spent about two hrs a day.
yes, just a mockup to show me positions of parts. Cabane is not attached, wings are not completely finished or joined.
but enough for me to raise a cold n frosty in tribute to seeing what it will look like when finished.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	1966813  
Old 02-09-2014, 05:05 AM
Smashmaster

1 week is pretty amazing. I worked on mine for 3 winters off and on.
Pigs are awesome flying planes.
One of the first things I do once I get a plane dialed in is try to flatspin. I had no problem getting my Hog into a nice flatspin 1st attempt. But I didn't give much thought to the time it takes to get out of one. The extra weight and wing requires more time for the prop to"take hold". It was a very close call. Just give it an extra 20 or 30 feet of "respect" when trying something new.

Fred
Attached Images  

Last edited by Smashmaster; 02-09-2014 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:13 AM
bert269
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for this great thread, guys - I appreciated ya'all's input and expertise.

I started my Hog Bipe build this past Sunday afternoon, a few hours each day this last week and it's coming along pretty well. I had bought the kit about 6 years ago and relocated, etc and just finally moved into my "workroom" in my house.
Instead of me taking over this thread, I'll start another since I'm doing an electric conversion and lots of "upgrades" from things I got in this thread and elsewhere (some of it hidden deep down in my brain). I'll post the new link, with pictures of progress in a few days.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:28 PM
Smashmaster

I hope you do. I would love to follow along. Mine is still flying. I just flew it a few weeks ago