Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

minwax instead of resin?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

minwax instead of resin?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 10:17 PM
aps f4u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default minwax instead of resin?

I have heard of guys using minwax on balsa instead of using resin. Have any of you out ther tried this?

I didn't know what minwax brand product to use. I know they have a polyurathane in a spray can, but the floor sealer is what I assumed to probably use. If the floor sealer is what is to be used, can you spray it with an auto body spray gun? or will brushing it on be ok?

I am building a TF GS P-47, and I want to keep it as light as possible without using fiber glass cloth, yet giving the balsa a good seal and finish before painting it. any tips are appreciated

a
Old 02-04-2005, 10:32 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Default RE: minwax instead of resin?

I have used Minwax water based Polycrylic protective finish for base preparation used in conjunction with lightweight glass cloth. The cans I buy are quarts which I get at Home Depot. It works very well and sands easily. I am not sure that you can use it as a base on balsa alone to achive a good foundation. The glass prevents cracks from easily forming. I have also used a very light glass cloth which looks very similar to the standard chopped strand glass but is about as light as tissue. I don't know the exact stuff to ask for as I was given a large roll of the glass by a friend. This I use to cover the balsa used as baffles inside the cowls of my gassers. The Minwax dries very light and is quite tough. I use a foam or bristle brush to apply it. I am not sure of the weight per sq/ft as I have never bothered to weigh it. All I could suggest is to experiment with it. Minwax is also very good to use as a gasoline fuel proofer on the engine box and firewalls of gassers. The advantages are: no noxious fumes, easy to apply and very easy to clean off tools. It is also very tough. I have used automotive epoxy paints on it with very good results too.

If you are in doubt, experiment. I will often use parts to test things on from the remains of aircraft found in the trash cans at the club.

Safe flying!
Old 02-05-2005, 12:24 AM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to http://www.renderwurx.com/rc and check out the build for the plane that won the Toledo show last year. Tom used water-based poly urethane but used a laquer sealer first. This is a great site with lots of scale tricks.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:35 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen the lightweight glass you're refering to advertised as fiberglass veil and as fiberglass tissue and is typically sold as a .2 oz weight.
There is also carbon tissue that comes in weights of .2 oz, and .5 oz. I did some tests with .5 oz carbon tissue. The stuff acts like a sponge. I have done some tests with epoxy and with brushing laquer. So far, these tests have added nearly twice the weight of epoxy glassing with .5 oz glass.

Scott
Old 02-05-2005, 12:51 PM
aps f4u

Thanks for the info and links, I think I will try the waterbased poly c and use the .2 0z glass cloth.
Thanks again

a
Old 02-05-2005, 12:53 PM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use polycrylic and silkspan. Very hard and very easy to fill. Use polycrylic with corn starch as a filler.

Paul