Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 11:31 AM
FlyingGreg
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Astula--Frank's reply is what the Sig plans call for. If you are entering in a scale contest, you will probably need to make something more scale. It's been a while, but there used to be a guy named Cubman that had a web site with lots of photos of the full scale cub. He is probably referenced and even posted on this thread. I doubt if what the Sig plans call for would be considered scale. If I am wrong, surely others will comment.

Good luck.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:00 PM
astula

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingGreg
Astula--Frank's reply is what the Sig plans call for. If you are entering in a scale contest, you will probably need to make something more scale. It's been a while, but there used to be a guy named Cubman that had a web site with lots of photos of the full scale cub. He is probably referenced and even posted on this thread. I doubt if what the Sig plans call for would be considered scale. If I am wrong, surely others will comment.

Good luck.
Can you gif me the website of cubman ?

Here a photo video of my first scale model J-3 Cub 1/4 SIG .
The model is the PH-GEN Nederlands

https://youtu.be/36Ag65rAerk

@+
Astula
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	arrow.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	510.1 KB
ID:	2151812  
Old 03-12-2016, 02:12 AM
astula

Hi, has som body a bleuprint Clipped Wing "WINGS"

@+
Astula
Old 03-12-2016, 05:55 AM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cubman's site. I purchased his L-4 plans a while back and they are really nice. Haven't built it yet but they look similar in design to the Sig with some scale mods.

http://www.thecubden.org
Old 03-26-2017, 12:03 PM
fcf

I have been thanking of building another piper and was doing research again on the cub when I came across this forums. its been awhile sense someone had a post or build. are there anyone out there still enjoy building and flying or has Foamies, ARF, and drones taken over.

Anyway I am thanking of building another cub like the first one I had be for the crash and the salvage rebuild into a L-4 it a Sig 1/4 scale and still have it. if I can get he pic's to load the white one is the first build and the black/white is the second.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lg-118413.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	2207135   Click image for larger version

Name:	police cub.jpg
Views:	1020
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	2207136  
Old 03-26-2017, 01:50 PM
flyoz
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by fcf
I have been thanking of building another piper and was doing research again on the cub when I came across this forums. its been awhile sense someone had a post or build. are there anyone out there still enjoy building and flying or has Foamies, ARF, and drones taken over.

Still Building but Drones are a distraction I still havent flown my 1/4 Cub yet but managed to acquire a 40size fixer upper which I just completed for an every day fun flier.
Good luck with your build Cubs are fun builds and have tones of scale potential.
oops sorry got to go just got distracted by the lingerie Model popups on the page...doh!
Old 12-05-2017, 05:33 PM
cmy6
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by WacoNut
Eric,
You can see how I covered my Cub on page 5 of this thread. What covering material are you using?

I used Sig Koerall and it works great. I started by covering the stab before attaching to the fuse. The fuse was covered with 5 pcs. I started by covering the bottom of the fuse overlapping to the side of the bottom stringer. The fuse sides were covered next. I attached the covering to the bottom stringer to the top side stringer overlapping on those as well. The top was covered with 2 pcs. You are also going to cover the fin with the top of the fuse. Cut a pice of covering large enough to cover the fin and one half of the fuse top(top center stringer to fuse side top stringer). Apply the covering to the fuse top 1st then to the fin. The filet can be tricky but is easier to do with cloth covering versus iron on plastic. As you are covering the fin keep pulling the fabric tight to remove the wrinkles as you go. Once shrunk you should have a nice smooth fillet.

Hope this helps!!
Anthony
Sorry to dig up an old post, but if your still on this thread Anthony, I have a quick question. I use Koverall on most of my projects now, but use colored dope exclusively. I just started a 1/4scale Sig Cub and may use Poly C and latex. Do you spray it on or brush it? Any specifics are appreciated. That is, Jay.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:53 AM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

I have used latex on two 1/4 scales and sprayed both.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:10 AM
cmy6

Thanks. I use an automotive touch up gun. Would that work without thinning the paint?
Old 12-06-2017, 05:57 AM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

This is how i did mine.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:51 PM
cmy6

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I do have another question. I was looking over airplane requirements and they state servos with ratings greater than 35 in/lb (HD) should be used. I realize this manual was written some time ago and standard digital servos are rated much higher. I have a few Spektrum A6180’s (82/94 in/lb 4.8v-6.0v) and a few Hi-Tec HS-5625MG (109/130 in/lb 4.8-6.0v) all new. Are these considered powerful enough for this airplane? If not what should be the minimum spec servo? Also I noticed the aileron servos are going to require a fairly long servo extension. Should I be conserved about voltage loss out to the servo? I use a JR9303 2.4Mhz system. Thanks for answering all my questions. This is my 6th kit build and my first 1/4 scale build. 1st Cub build. Just want to get it right. I’m just going to build it to the Sig plan. Not much bashing.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:17 PM
d boothe
My Feedback: (16)

Default 1/4 scale intrament panel

Does anyone have a source for "drop in" scale panel for the Sig J3 besides the high dollar I-Tallies?
Old 02-01-2018, 05:05 AM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by cmy6
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I do have another question. I was looking over airplane requirements and they state servos with ratings greater than 35 in/lb (HD) should be used. I realize this manual was written some time ago and standard digital servos are rated much higher. I have a few Spektrum A6180’s (82/94 in/lb 4.8v-6.0v) and a few Hi-Tec HS-5625MG (109/130 in/lb 4.8-6.0v) all new. Are these considered powerful enough for this airplane? If not what should be the minimum spec servo? Also I noticed the aileron servos are going to require a fairly long servo extension. Should I be conserved about voltage loss out to the servo? I use a JR9303 2.4Mhz system. Thanks for answering all my questions. This is my 6th kit build and my first 1/4 scale build. 1st Cub build. Just want to get it right. I’m just going to build it to the Sig plan. Not much bashing.
I had standard Futaba servos in mine. It flew with a .90 2 stroke, then with a G26 gasser, and finally and a much more powerful 1.6 electric setup. Never had a problem. After many years I sold it. My Balsa USA (over 2 decades old) is being recovered for the 3 time in its long life, this time I will have (for no particular reason) a hitec 645 mg on the rudder. I never had a problem with the regular servos here either.

Gerry
Old 02-01-2018, 05:11 PM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by d boothe
Does anyone have a source for "drop in" scale panel for the Sig J3 besides the high dollar I-Tallies?
I use the one for the Hangar 9 cub. Trim it to
fit on the scroll saw and touch it up with a little
paint works for me.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:25 PM
d boothe
My Feedback: (16)

Originally Posted by cubcrasher
I use the one for the Hangar 9 cub. Trim it to
fit on the scroll saw and touch it up with a little
paint works for me.
Good idea!