Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Which kit would be good for a fist build?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Which kit would be good for a fist build?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 11:44 AM
hnflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which kit would be good for a fist build?

I want to build my first kit i just want to know which kit you guys recomend

Thanks
Old 03-23-2005, 11:51 AM
woodys3b
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Which kit would be good for a fist build?

What is your flying skill level?

Andy
Old 03-23-2005, 12:51 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

And what size engine do you have/want to use? And what kind of flying do you want to do with it?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:46 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what your Flying experience is, but you have stated what your building experience is, and that is none. So since you are looking to build your first kit I will throw out a few Suggestions on Manufacturers who I feel put out a pretty good kit for First Timers. Sig Makes good Kits for Beginners, but they also make Craftsman Kits which are for the much more advanced builder, so make sure you get a beginner Kit like the Sig LT-40 if you don't have any or a whole lot of Flight Experience. These Kits build fast and easy! If you have allready mastered a Trainer than maybe consider the popular Four Star 40 or 60. Both a great Kits. The Something Extra is also good if you have had quite a bit of Stick Time. Great Planes also puts out some good kits that go together pretty easy. I have built the PT-20 and PT-40 Trainer, and they are both easy builds, and good flying Planes. The Super Sportster 40 or 60 kit would be great as a first low wing Plane. They are Fast and Stable, and Fly great. I have Built the Extra 300s, and the Cap 232 from Great Planes, and both these kits are a piece of cake. Basically your Trainer and Sport Planes are going to be some of the Easier Builds. Scale Planes like the Piper Cub, Citabria, Cessna, Warbirds and the like are going to be more difficult, and time comsuming to do them justice. I hear BTE(Bruce Tharpe) puts out a pretty good kit like the Venture 60. I am sure you will get plenty of more recommendations from folks. These are just some that I thought of off the top of my head that I know about.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:00 PM
ckangaroo70

One that I forgot to mention that I personally would like to build soon is the Great Planes Pete-N-Poke. This Plane is not talked about alot, but if you like Scale Looking stuff without all the detail work that goes into an actual scale Plane, then I think the Pete-N-Poke would be fun. It is actually a Made Up design, but what attracts me to it is that it looks neat, and it is not offered as an ARF, so there won't be many, or none at your field with one like it. And for only $70 at Tower it would deffinately be worth a look if you like the looks and Flying style of these sort of Planes. Just another suggestion.............
Old 03-23-2005, 03:46 PM
woodys3b

I'll second everything that Ray said. You just can't go wrong with a Sig kit and the Great Planes kits he recommends are all easy building, great flying airplanes. One more thing. Bigger doesn't equal more difficult. They are all built pretty much the same. The parts are just bigger. However, bigger does fly better. I would recommend something in the .40 to .60 size.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:07 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

If you have already mastered a trainer, then the Goldberg Tiger II or better yet the Tiger 60 should be added to the list. It is a great flyer and will make you a very confident pilot.

Rich

------------------

Wyoming Wind Festival Jan 1 to Dec 31
Old 03-23-2005, 05:27 PM
hnflyer

I'm just stepping out of a trainer, it came as a ARF (Hobbico superstar), I was thinking a second airplane but i dont want a trainer.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2005, 05:44 PM
woodys3b

Do you plan to use the engine and radio from your old trainer? Understand you have a .40 size engine now?

Andy
Old 03-23-2005, 07:17 PM
ckangaroo70

If you are wanting to do a kit, and its your second Plane then a Sig 4 star Kit, or the Great Planes Super Sporster would be a good choice!
Old 03-23-2005, 08:13 PM
saramos

I built a 4 * 40 for my second plane. I was able to re-use the .46LA I had in my trainer until I saved up enough to get a new engine. I used ultracote for my covering. It is pretty easy to work with. I've not used Monocote myself, but have read that a lot of people find the ultracote easier to use. After flying it and feeling comfortable with it, I put an OS .50SX. Now it has unlimited vertical. Once I get better, I'll clip the wings. It's been almost like getting 3 planes for the price of 1.

Scott
Old 03-23-2005, 08:26 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

The Sig Mid star 40 is a good choice as well. Should be able to find one of those around still.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:57 PM
Balsa Master

i have to agree about SIG, they have the best construction methods and part that ive seen so far the lt 25 and lt 40 are excelent trainers and the somthing extra is a down right amazing build that thing survived a beating and a half. GP also makes good kits, not the same quality as sig IMO but there still very good though i think sig has better trainers personaly. (i have 2 lt 25's an lt 40 a SE a mark II and somthing else that i cant remember as of 11 PM all built by hand and there wonderfull kits.) if you really want to step up te builting (if your already a descent builder, not nesasarily RC planes, but just with wood in general, the MARK II requires you to cut almoast all your own peices, makes you feel reall good when you finish that 1 up.

oh... and all the planes above except the lt 25 will work with an average .40 - .50 engine (the lt 40 will be very overpowered but at low throttle it will be ok) so that leaves you options for future planes with the same engine... gotta think about the old wallet every now and then...
Old 03-24-2005, 09:01 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For a second plane, and a first kit, my favorites are (in alphabetical order):

Goldberg Tiger II
Great Planes Rapture or Easy Sport
Sig 4 Star 40

You can't go wrong with any of these kits, so go by which you like the best
Old 03-24-2005, 05:13 PM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

The Sig Mid star 40 is a good choice as well. Should be able to find one of those around still.
Unfotunately I think the mid-star often gets overlooked! I have never had one personally ,but know several who do, and they really claim them to be an excellent flying Plane!
Old 03-24-2005, 06:54 PM
woodys3b

ORIGINAL: ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

Unfotunately I think the mid-star often gets overlooked! I have never had one personally ,but know several who do, and they really claim them to be an excellent flying Plane!

It sure is! My son and I built one for a dad and lad project. He learned to build and fly on the Mid Star. Had an OS FP-.40 on the front which hauled it around nicely. While teaching him to fly on the buddy cord, I had to be careful not to hog the plane because it was such a pleasure to fly. I even used it in a couple of fun flys and was able to finish in the top three. Not the prettiest plane out there but it is a joy to fly.

Andy
Old 03-25-2005, 06:28 PM
wraith0078
My Feedback: (2)

Hope you guys are right. My first plane is going to a used Midstar .40.