Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Mildly Bashing a Super Skybolt?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Mildly Bashing a Super Skybolt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 11:23 AM
ricknkim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mildly Bashing a Super Skybolt?

Just snagged myself a NIB Super Skybolt for $100 (woo-hoo, what a deal!). What I would like to do with it is mildly bash it to look more like an early biplane with dual open cockpits. Plan to cover it in some sort of fabric and paint it. Anyone who has built this kit have any thoughts on how easy or hard it might be to change the cockpit configuration? Also, what could I use as a windscreen? The canopy that comes with the kit is kindof bubble like...not sure if that would look right or not if I cut it off to just be a screen...Finally, what is the consensus on which fabric to use as a first time fabric user? I have read several threads, some people like 21st century, others Coverite or supercoverite and still others swear by Koverall. I will be putting a 4 stroke or small gasser on it so the covering/paint will need to withstand 20% glow fuel.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:53 AM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mildly Bashing a Super Skybolt?

Well, as far as a windscreen, get some flat clear plastic from Sig and some construction paper and start cutting. Cut what looks like a good starting point for the windscreen out of the construction paper and when you get the right shape that curves around the cockpit, transfer the cardboard shape over to the plastic and cut it out and glue.

Shouldn't be too hard to cut the open cockpits. Plank the whole thing, measure where you want the cutouts and then duplicate the kit cutout shape twice. The underlying structure made have to be rearranged in order for both cockpits to be completely open without affecting strength...you'll have to make the decision.

Super Coverite is very easy to use, I would go that route, but that's just me.

Don
Old 04-07-2005, 02:22 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to do some research on the Steen Skybolt, it is a two seat open cockpit design. I think picture is what your loking for.
http://www.aero-sports.com/whplans/skybolt.html
Old 04-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had the best luck with the SolarTex covering but they all seem to be good and easy to use. The C21 tends to shrink too much and too fast for me in any overlaped areas but it was an OK covering too.