Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes .40 P51 kit build...

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes .40 P51 kit build...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:34 PM
nchrome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes .40 P51 kit build...

Your kind of rite except I've flown a few twins and haven't had any real problems as of yet as far as needing to counter rotating prop. My P-38 flys like its on rails and lands just as fast but does bleed off the speed fast. That's on grass though. I also bashed a Voyager into a twin and talk about nimble and a real joy to fly boy did she have it.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Fragmentum
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You certainly have a lot more twin experience than I have.... When I was with the Flying Electrons in Menomonee Wisconsin, we would have the occasianal twin at the field. I presume that the pilots warnings that if they have an engine failure, the best way to avoid a stall and spin was to turn towards the running engine. Like I say, no first hand experience here... I have seen some twins there loose an engine, stall and spin in...

Don
Old 01-11-2009, 09:56 AM
nchrome

Oh I have done been there done that. The best advise I can give is to throttle back and land as soon and as strait as possible. Even a soft landing in tall grass or ruff ground is better than rebuilding a whole plane. The other bit of advise is have very reliable engines and if possible onboard glow drivers. Reduces the chance of an engine out situation. But even with that you can still experience an engine out problem. I did down at Taylor Mo. but that was from being up in the air too long beyond my control. A plane crashed on the runway and had to wait for it to be cleaned up. By that time I ran out of fuel in one of the engines. So no motion lotion no go.[X(] And I found this out after I was on the approach lining up with the field but drifting towards the pits and could not hear that only one engine was running. End result tried to throttle up to aboart and snapped to the ground. Just barly missing a plane getting raly to taxi out on the runway.[:@]
Old 01-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Fragmentum

Yes, indeed! Very close call, and you were lucky to avoid that disaster.
As I mentioned, I flew with the Flying Electrons (http://flyingelectrons.com/) for several years before relocating back home to Montana.

I used to attend the Fox Valley Aero Club's( http://www.foxvalleyaero.com/) Festival of the Giants (http://www.foxvalleyaero.com/event_gallery/Album13.htm) outside St. Charles, IL.. They have a beautiful paved runway and facilities now. Have you been there?

I am looking forward into getting back to building again, and as you can see by the posts here, I am putting a lot more into this scale of plane than is really warranted. It was what I could afford at the time and now so deep into it that it MUST be finished!

Fragmentum
Old 01-11-2009, 07:21 PM
fallingleaf
My Feedback: (1)

This kit looks great! I think I will have to make it my next project, although I think I would just cover it while trying to do as good a scale job as I can!
Old 01-11-2009, 10:08 PM
nchrome

Fragmentum no I've never been to St Charles but some day may go there and check it out cause I love to go to different events just to see the different planes and skills of other builders. My skills are moderate but that's okay for me cause I'm the one to satisfy. Even though I do come up with a few ideas once and a while. Like my aircooler flap on my Wing B-25 they are funcinal and were operated by one servo per naicel. That was twelve flaps one servo. They worked in tandem with the throttle. At idle they were wide open and as you advanced the throttle they would close.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Fragmentum

I would consider my skills in the moderate catagory as well I guess. I picked up a lot of incentive and tips from Dave Platt videos. His skill is exceptional at scale and detail. Then trial and error. Engineering the hidden aileron, rudder and elevator on this project. I would have liked to see your working aircooler flaps on the B-25.
Do you have any of your pictures online?

Fragmentum
Old 01-12-2009, 07:54 AM
nchrome

I used to but they have gone into cyber space somewhere. On the GP 51 in order to help on the weight on the front are any of you guys out there hollowing out the upper part of the engine compartment. I'm strongly thinking of doing this to help save on weight.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:58 PM
fallingleaf

Hi guys, I have a few questions regarding this kit and Mustangs in general...

My uncle has a crashed p51D ARF from world models (nose ripped off, half the wing gone) but rest of the plane intact) which is the same size and the Great Planes .40 sized kit. he want to GIVE it to me with the retracts and I am thiking the radio gear too! My question is really in regards to the engine. What sort of engine (4 stroke) is best suited to this plane? I was thinking of a Saito 82a or is that too big? Would a 72 be more appropriate? I would also like to equip some flaps on her based on what has been done on this thread. I take it they do help but don't affect flight performance too much?

Also, where can you find some good decals for a 40-sized mustang? I am quite interested in getting a scale appearance should I pursue this project (will make a thread on here naturally!).

I have just completed a Goldberg ultimate bipe KIT (see "Goldberg Ultimate Biplane Engine" thread) so looking for the next project. Obviously a gifted repair job is cheaper than a new plane so quite keen. Or I can just go and get the Top Flite .61-.90 kit haha. That would be great but a little expensive at this point in time - on something like that I would want to go totally scale and do it right = $$$$ ).

Many thanks in advance

Mark
Old 01-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Fragmentum

Fallingleaf,
For my 2 cents worth, I think your consideration of the Saito 82a makes great sense. This is the engine I chose for mine, as I love 4-stroke model engines.
The Saito 82a is not only the same physical size as the 72, but lighter in weight! Check the specs here [link=http://saito-engines.info/specifications.html]Saito[/link]

I also considered gearing it down to turn a scale four blade prop similar to the [link=http://www.wannafly.com/images/friends/Brandt/Byron%20P51-1.JPG]Byron P-51[/link].

Fragmentum
Old 02-13-2009, 09:09 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Well, I have been reading this post from the beginning and I too am building this kit. It's been a little while since anyone has posted to this thread so I thought I would chime in. I am still glad to see some of the original members still in the post. I started mine about 4 years ago and only got one wing half started then. Now since starting on it again, have the other wing half to the same point as the first and have the fuse halfway there. I am just going to use monocote or something like that to cover and a magnum 52 xls two stroke engine. I have a magnum 53 two stroke on my rc nobler and it just is awsome in the air. I have built up some flaps and ailerons for it because the stock ones felt like they were made of oak. I made some working struts for the landing gear on my mini lathe that I hope will hold up. I will post some pictures of them later. I had to mount the retracts at an angle (paralell to the leading edge at this point on the wing) because the struts cannot be bent forward, but I think it will work out because when they fold up, the wheel almost parrallells the surface of the wing skin. Well thats all for now. I will post more when more work is done.

John
Old 02-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Fragmentum

Glad to see a NEW post in this thread!

Good luck with your build, flybyjohn! My half finished wing sits in the corner of the new shop until I complete the rebuild of my Tower Hobbies Fun 51 (see thread [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8289093/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]here[/link]).

The top of my wing needs sheeting, but I need to cut the openings for the landing gear first. The fuse is started as well.

If you have any way of posting some photos of your build here, please do so.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53718.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1134320  
Old 02-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Auburn02

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm curious to see how that F-82 comes out, should be cool.

I "finished" my GP P-51 a couple of months ago. I say "finished" because it's been done and flying for a while now, but I still have intentions to add some vinyl lettering to the fuselage. Here's a couple pics a club member took of it on one of the first flights. The gear now retract fully.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Fragmentum

Nice job! And a Blue Noser at that!!
Old 02-13-2009, 09:49 PM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Ok, so here is some pictures of my retracts and home made struts. They are made of t-7075 something aluminum (harder than t-6061and the bent part is piano wire. I had a problem building the knee bend for them so I just milled a slot and put a piano wire pin in. I may need to adjust the spring tension when the model is complete to get the right preloading.

Name:	Us53225.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1134751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33147.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	1134752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74378.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	1134753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13848.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1134754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh57283.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1134755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ka43270.jpg
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1134756  
Old 02-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Fragmentum

Thanks for the pictures of your struts. Very enterprising and great effort. Did you make your wheels as well?
I used a set of Robart struts and have yet to fix the excessive spring loading in them. I wanted to make the inside gear doors open and close as well, but I may forgo them as I already feel I am overloading the weight to lift ratio with what I already have in this thing. Before I put this model away a few years ago, I had already set up the gear retract with a digital servo, adjusted down for slow retract along with a sequencer that also was adjusted for slower servo retract. It works very scale-like. I was considering micro servos on the inner doors. My gear is still 'trapped' inside the bottom wing sheeting....

Name:	Om32177.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1135109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69077.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1135110  
Old 03-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Fragmentum

Free at last, free at last!!!!
My 'trapped' landing gear is finally stretching their legs since the wing was sheeted on the bottom side since April or May of 2005!!! Yes, finally getting this plane back on the building bench, and hoping there are others out there doing the same. Also time to wake up this building thread!!!!

Last night I poked pin holes around the wheel and strut from inside the wing, then cut out the outline made by the pin holes. I had to trim a little here and there to allow the gear to fully deploy through the sheeting. This morning I cut out the fiberglass layup for each side (rough cut only for now) and layed across the sheeting.

Here is my dilemma: I know that cutting out the entire landing gear door area and trying to fit the fiberglass doors are going to be a real challange to fit flush, and I am up to it, but for this size scale plane, is it really worth it?
Would not the better option be to fit the gear doors so that they retract up tight against the outside sheeting, and have minimal openings for the gear? The effect of having gear doors when the plane is on the ground would still be visible, but when all is painted and the plane is flying, you wouldn't really notice that they are not inside the sheeting, would you? Also, I have not worked out the details of the inner doors, or even to have operable inner doors. The thing that keeps nagging me in the back of my mind is WING LOADING!! How much equipment can I get into this plane and still FLY IT!!!

I could really use some input here!!! Thanks!!

Name:	Jh15328.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1161089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41299.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1161090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq41900.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1161091   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98697.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1161092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69067.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1161093  
Old 03-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Fragmentum

OK, here's the gig. Getting back to this project and taking a long hard look at the work already put into this, I'm getting really concerned about the wing loading I am placing on this model. I decided to weigh the empennage group already built and compare that to the pieces provided in the kit. Yes, there was a significant weight difference. I am also considering the complexities of the 'hidden' elevator and rudder controls, and if I should continue in that direction. The main wing with the Robart landing gear, added flaps and hidden aileron controls will stay, although they have added significantly to the wing loading already.
So, I will build the tail group 'by the book' (from the plan) and try to save additional weight where I can. I would still like to do a scale finish on the outside over glassed cover. NOT plastic iron on covering.....
Old 05-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Fragmentum

I wonder how many builders/pilots are still subscribed to this thread....

Continuing on, I finished building the fuselage radiator scoop and fitting the plastic scoop to the wing. I have the wing drilled, dowelled and fitted to the fuse. I may do more sanding on the fuse side of the radiator scoop to account for fiber glassing. The scoop will either be drilled for access to the wing mounting screws or will be removable to access the screws. I had removed a center section from the scoop to narrow down to this fuselage width, then fiberglass reinforced after gluing back together. The back scoop bulkhead was cut from plywood and glued in with JB Weld.

I finally finished cutting the access area to remove the landing gear for glassing the wing and for gear maintenance. An access panel will be fitted here to cover the area. I can reinstall the left gear actuating rod after the top of the wing is skinned, but the right actuating rod will have to be in place when the right side is skinned, thereby 'trapping' it in the structure.

Biggest improvement I made last night is discovering I was not getting full aileron deflection with the previously installed rod ends. So I removed them and installed a simpler and more effective rod end and swivel mechanism. Now I have full stop-to-stop deflection on right and left aileron.

I have to stop here on the project as a new piece of equipment needs constructing, and WAY overdue. I have needed a sanding table for a long time and am going to finally construct one this weekend. I have the top wing skins glued together, but they need sanding prior to gluing on, and the sanding table MUST get built for that sanding issue as well as sanding the wing into final shape for glassing.

Name:	Vt56778.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1194416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26537.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1194417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95284.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1194418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80976.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1194419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lx21575.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1194420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy33988.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1194421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jm96472.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1194422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo50477.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1194423  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq18127.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1194424  
Old 09-20-2009, 12:14 AM
BradSD
My Feedback: (9)

Just to let you guys know, I am still subscribed to this thread and have been for a very long time. I owned this plane a few years back and have the kit in my garage just waiting for me to get inspired to get back into rc planes. Its funny how in the last 20 years my interest has came and gone many times. The older I get the more my hobbies seem to disappear, its funny how life changes whats important to you. A divorce in 99 really dampened my rc spirt LOL. My all time favorite plane ever was my GP-P-51, what a sweet flying good looking plane.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:21 AM
miketiger

Hi guys

I've read a lot of this thread. I am part way into building a GP P51 also so was interested to see how people had sorted out problems along the way. Its my first build and I'm pretty much going by the numbers in the manual. I see a lot of talk about retracts and they certainly seem to be tricky things to get right. I think I have my right retracts placed ok but yet to sheet over and hook up to the servo to see if they work. I built my wheel well out of polystyrene as it was the easiest way to do it in pieces (between other commitments). I'm going to fuel proof that with what we call PVA.

Cobra99 - your plane looks awesome. I see you put in separate wing servos for the ailerons and do you have separate flaps? I am planning to put in separate servos for each aileron and work them as flaperons. I will place the servos near the midline and use the system as in the manual.

Fragmentum- you've got to get your plane completed and flying. Seems you know too much about the options available and can't decide. I'm at the opposite end and just hope I have enough knowledge to make it work.

Cheers
Old 10-07-2009, 04:39 PM
BradSD

Man you guys amaze me with your building skills! Those home made retracts look good. Im thinking of getting my kit out this winter and starting on it. Im trying to get back into this hobby, just finished going over my planes and getting them ready for service. Would be great getting a new GP P-51 in the air again.
In requards to the weight, my old one was a floater so I think you could add quite a bit before going overboard. I ran a .46 OS FX in the front. Seems like I added tail weight but I cant remember, so a .82 Satio would be the cats azz.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:37 PM
BradSD

I have not purchased a engine for this kit yet. Could you guys tell me your choice and how the balance played out. This will weigh heavy on my decision, I do not like to add a bunch of lead. If it comes out tail heavy I might go with the four stroke, if its nose heavy then the OS .55 or .46 would be nice I think. Any help appreciated.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:31 PM
BradSD

Hello, Hello, hello, is there anybody out there,,,,just smile if you can hear me LOL (Pink Floyd music) I opened my box last night and started to get the build ready to go. Im making some decisions about the construction. A little history, I have always followed this thread, this plane was the first kit that I ever put together like back in 1993 or some thing like that. I flew it for maybe 3 years and fell in love with its flight performance. My old one was covered in mono and had a .46FX in it. Im thinking of making some mods with this kit, nothing crazy but since I hate covering im thinking of sheeting the wings using 3/4 oz fiberglass and then painting. I have built 3 TF warbirds so I think this will work well on this plane and the plane can handle a little extra weight. Id also like to come up with something for flaps, more so for fun than service. Im also leaning toward the OS .55 engine with the pitts muffler. Im planning to build a access area in the rear for the battery, since it comes out a bit nose heavy. Im also going to put a tail wheel in the scale location, I dont care for the rudder tail wheel with the kit. I will try to get some pics up and stay motivated this winter, hope some of you guys from the thread of old will reappear.
Fragmentum, 270win, bayareajeff,mattkoskiman1, and a few others not mentioned are any of you guys still with this thread?
Old 11-03-2009, 06:12 PM
dufault

I thought this thread had been dead for a while. I guess not. Im planning the same thing as you BradSD. I plan on fully sheeting my wings and covering it in 0.56 fiberglass. Just ordered the stuff in. Im just studying up on airbrushes in order to get the final look I want. I just finished both wings with the retracts installed. It tuned out nice but the joint at where the 2 wings join isnt perfect. I uploaded some pictures. Does anyone have any tips for sanding the joint? I was thinking about spreading blue chalk on one side and then pressing against the other to see where it is hitting? Anyone have other ideas?

Name:	Yw68772.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1307445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82611.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1307446  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.