Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Playboy old Timer

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Playboy old Timer

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 10:58 PM
txaggie08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Playboy old Timer

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

just picked up that kit off ebay. from what i have found it was recommended as a trainer(at least in a couple of places, but more importantly itll be a challenge to build. Im laid up for the next 6+weeks due to the hole staff infection ate in my heel(can you tell how happy i am).

anyway, i was curiousif anyone had ever built one. im kind of new to RC aircraft(first plane.....), and was curious on glues to be used. ive done pretty extensive carpentry work, but didnt know exactly what varietys would be used to build a kit like this. thanks for advice and help, im shure ill be coming back here for advice and help through the next month or two(rough guess on building time?)
Old 04-14-2005, 02:18 AM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Playboy old Timer

That's a cool old model airplane.

Just a suggestion...If you build the cabin version it will probably be a little easier to get your radio equipment inside. If it were me I think I'd make a jig to hold all the bulkheads in place while I run all the stringers along the sides. (A nice straight length of hardwood the length of the fuse will do) Being that the wing ribs are under cambered it might not be a bad idea to make one for the wing also.

I think that I would cover it using silk span and minwax polyurethane. If you use one of the iron on coverings it might warp the wing when it shrinks. They look cool with silk span to you can dye it different colors.

As far as glue goes there are many different types but I think that you could get away with framing it up using regular old Elmers for a model this light weight. It will also give you some time to adjust a part if you need to.

Just take your time, and you'll do fine.

There is plenty of experience on this forum and many who will help you out if you get stuck.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:59 AM
txaggie08

so just plain old elmers glue or carpenters glue? that should make things nice and easy. im also cutting out plans for a helldiver to build, but thats gonna take a while
Old 04-14-2005, 05:34 AM
SoonerAce
My Feedback: (1)

As I was once informed. The Playboy was a Texaco class plane back in the Andy Griffin days. That is, they had a small tank, usually 2 oz. and a smaller motor. The idea was to go up until the fuel ran out and then glide back down....Anyone else have anything to help me with the history of this ol bird?
Old 04-14-2005, 05:45 AM
txaggie08

honestly im not shure. this one says its been redesigned for use as electric or a glow up to .21 i beleive. i think itll be a neat piece of nastalga and give me a fun little plane to mes around and learn how to fly. if nothing else it was inexpensive, and will keep me occupied.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: txaggie08

so just plain old elmers glue or carpenters glue? that should make things nice and easy. im also cutting out plans for a helldiver to build, but thats gonna take a while

Either type will work but if you use the "outdoor type" carpenters glue I beleive that its waterproof. You shouldn't have any worries using the water based polyurethane on the silkspan. Use tooth picks or swabs to wipe away any excess glue before it dries because it can be difficult to sand.

I think that I would start on the tail feathers as a "Warm-Up" to building the rest of the model. When you try out the silkspan application you should cover the bottom surfaces of the wing and tail first. Silkspan also has a grain and you can tell by tearing a corner of the material to see which way the grain runs. You want the grain to run span wise.

If your going to use a glow engine you might want to try and find one of the OS Max Four stroke .20 - .25 size engines. In my opinion it would be a good match and sound real good putting around the bean patch.

PutPutPutPutPutPutPut (Smiles)

This man has a real good handle on building models and a very informative web site. Go and read this post and then follow the link to his website. Paul builds excellent models

How to Build Warren Truss Fuselage Sides

Old 04-14-2005, 06:26 PM
jessiej

Do a search for "Playboy". You will find lots of infotmation in the vintage and oldtimer forums. It is an excelent model.

jess
Old 04-14-2005, 07:03 PM
michpittsman
My Feedback: (11)

The original Playboy Senior was 80 inch span and could be built either cabin or pylon wing mount; the Playboy Junior was a 54 inch pylon type wing mount ca 1944. I have the Cleveland plans and a P&W semi-kit of the Junior which will be covered with lightweight gold Esaki silk I managed to hoard for some years now. It may get electric power. An oldtimer may be scaled up or down in size as long as it retains the construction and the outlines of the original, beefing up allowed. Jim
Old 04-15-2005, 07:50 PM
txaggie08

thanks for the replies and sorry for the lack if replys, i was at the doctor.

broken, the link doesnt work(i assume there was supposed to be a link)

thanks guys
Old 04-16-2005, 06:29 PM
dicknadine

You will enjoy it. both learning how to build it and flying it. have 3 of them ready to fly anytime. one is in process of becoming a seaplane with the old style of floats. not used the the other glue that the other fellows have recomended, but I do use the instant CA all the time, in fact buy it by the 8 OZ from Lone Star. it works on little and large planes. will send photos of my 80" Control Wing Playboy later. just got out of the hosiptal- 2 stints in the ticker. now I can smell more CA and balsa shavings. dick
Old 04-16-2005, 06:37 PM
txaggie08

^^^^ hehe yeah the hospital is definetly miserable
Old 04-16-2005, 09:03 PM
dicknadine

was very surprised, everything went like clockwork and things sure had changed since the last time I was in the Cardiac ward- private room with day bed for wife and believe me -super food..now I can get back modeling all of the ODD BALL old time aircraft of yester year. dick
Old 04-17-2005, 12:58 AM
txaggie08

yeah the food beat anything illd ever seen before, in a hospital anyway. Im hoping to start some scratch building to coincide with this project. to tell you the truth the modeling is more fascinating than the flying, and there are unlimited options to build(cause if you can model all the varients of every productions aircraft in every scale......wich wont happen in this lifeime............you can start inventing your own)........gotta love this hobby. my other project im going to work on will be a 103" wingspan p-51. once i finish these , if i have time beofre college, or room in my apartment there, i may start work on a giant scale p-38..............oh i gotta sit down and focus first.

this is gonna be alot of fun, and something that will keep me occupied
Old 07-13-2005, 12:19 AM
zfly2sky

Anybody got a link to a Mfg or any infor on how I can find a 80" Playboy Oldtimer!!! Thanks[sm=confused.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-13-2005, 06:41 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aggie,

If you go to the SAM homepage (www.antiquemodler.org) they have an excellent article on how to build an old-timer. The author uses a Lanzo Bomber, which is a plane of similar style to the Playboy. The article has a lot of good tips and should be quite useful. Good luck.

papermache