Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sterling PT-17

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sterling PT-17

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 09:54 AM
corsaircrazy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sterling PT-17

Hi guys!
I just picked up an old Sterling PT-17 (Stearman) RC kit at a swap meet this weekend. I remember building Sterling U/C kits in the '70's. I have never built an RC kit by them, nor do I know anyone who has. This particular kit is missing the instructions, however, I think I can figure it out without much problems.
Has anyone built one of these things? I am curious how they fly, as this one is pretty close to scale. The size is perfect, as the only ones of this type of plane are 77" and up. Just a little too big for my taste. The Sterling kit is 64 1/2". Also curious about weight. The kit says it is made for a 60, however I think that might be very conservative. A Bipe has a lot of parasitic drag, and although the Stearman was no speed demon in anyones book, I think a larger engine would be prudent. I was thinking of a Saito 100 for power.
Any thoughts or past experience on this?
Old 04-19-2005, 09:29 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Default RE: Sterling PT-17

Mine came in at about 13 pounds, AFTER I did a lot of lightening. It flew with an OS 70, but just barely. It performed quite to scale with an OS 90, so your 100 should be good. Blow the bucks and get the Robart landing gear they made for this one. The kit gear are WAY too wimpy.

Les
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68837.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	260107  
Old 04-19-2005, 10:11 AM
corsaircrazy

Very nice Les!!! What Dummy engine is that? I don't think the original would look that nice.
I have considered a Technopower 7B radial engine. It puts out approx. the same power as a 120, but with 7 cyl!! However, getting the $1750 price tag past the wife will be a challenge.
Thanks for the Info!!
Paul
Old 04-20-2005, 09:15 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Unless your household is a lot different than mine, rotsa ruck getting $1750 for a "toy model airplane" engine

I used Williams Brothers parts, and it ended up costing more than a two stroke engine to fly the airplane would have.

Les
Old 05-09-2005, 06:40 PM
samninedotcom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the plans and instructions for this kit (FS-20) pt 17..let me know if your still interested. I have two of them one is built and one is still in the box.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:13 AM
corsaircrazy

Thanks Stearmanlover. I did aquire a set of plans a couple of weeks ago, and copied all four sides a couple of times. (Kinko's is good, but not cheap at $3.00 a copy)
Les was right.... I couldn't get the Technopower radial past the wife (what a suprise)... so I am back to the Saito 100. Was looking at the YS 110, but no one has one, and wont get one for a while.
What I am looking for is either a full Williams Brothers engine kit of the P&W wasp, or 6 Wasp cylinders at 2" scale. a 7 cyl engine is more scale, but a lot of Stearmans are flying with 9 cyl engines nowadays. I guess the engine I end up with, will determine what paint scheme I end up with.....
Thanks,
CC
Old 05-10-2005, 11:19 AM
WacoOne
My Feedback: (3)

Corsaircrazy

You can use a nine cylinder dummy radial with your Stearman and still be scale. The PT-13 used a 9-cylinder Lycoming R-680 while the PT-17 used the 7-cylinder Continental 220. I'm talking original Stearmans, not the P&W 450hp and 600hp super Stearmans of today.
Just remember that the P&W Wasp is twice the displacement of the R-680 and the twin Wasp is 3 times the displacement so the cylinders are a bit larger. However, if you can get them in the 2" scale they should be about the right size for the Sterling Stearman.

Bill
Old 05-11-2005, 06:53 PM
samninedotcom

I do have an original sterling dummy engine and cowling from the FS-20 kit If you need some measurements let me know..It may be possible for me to imprint it in memory foam and make a fiberglass copy while only loosing about 5-10% of the super fine detail. I have two other flying buddies who use the saito 3 cyl radials and have super results..unfortunately it wont win you any scale comopetitions in static display.I also found personally that the YS 110 worked great but a twin FA 90 T by saito worked better as far as scale flying goes...it just appeared to be more realistic and for 350.00 on ebay its actually a better deal than the YS110 (In my opinion).Ys makes great engines I love them..but so does Saito and when dealing with a budget I figured 350.00 for a twin was a great buy.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:06 PM
warbirdmustang
My Feedback: (21)

A good friend of mine( now deceased) had one of these flying several years ago, and flew it with I believe a ST61. Fly very, very nice. I used to love to watch Ed fly that bird, made me drool. Very scale-like. I loved it so much I bought one from my local hobby shop( last one they had, too!), then two of my flying buddies bought a kit as well. None of us have ever built them, but we still have the kits. I've been thinking of mine lately, strange omen this thread popped up! Excuse me, I'm going to the basement!
Bryan
Old 05-11-2005, 09:10 PM
samninedotcom

I hear ya Brian, I love these planes..I have two and am looking for a third..I just have to have that reserve incase I have an issue with one of them at the field. I tried a .60 with a good prop but it would barely climb ..went to a 1.00 and it flew great but was to un-scale like..however it flew great, Kit says 12 lbs but its more like 14-14.5

hmnn..I'm going to the shop..

John
Old 05-12-2005, 08:20 AM
corsaircrazy

Good Morning StearmanLover. Yes, I too have the original vacuum formed engine on the sheet as it came in the kit.( I also have the aluminum cowl aslo, but a coweled PT-17 is Blasphamy!!) However, it is cracked in a couple of places,mainly where the cyl and the crankcase come together. Looks like the plastic got real thin during the forming process. I was worried that a 4 stroke engine would shake it apart. Does anyone know how to reinforce these vacuum formed engine halves? I thought of filling the cylinders with expandable foam, after assembly. Just a thought. Your Idea of fiberglass replica is intreging. Have you ever tried to cast such a complex mold before? Fiberglass would be Ideal if it looked decent.
CC
Old 05-12-2005, 01:26 PM
warbirdmustang

Frank Tiano has a very nice radial replica, but they are heavy( resin cast) and they come front half only. I think it says on his web site that they can't be made to replicate a "full engine" like on the nose of a Stearman. Williams Brothers had cylinders that looked good, may find them here or on ebay. Otherwise, I would say you got to build that thing. There have been some how to articles in the magazines before, I just don't know which ones and when. Maybe someone remembers the issues? I remember it didn't look too difficult, using a round tube for the cylinder, then file folder circles for the fins, I think everything else was carved balsa, with some nuts and bolts glued on for detail. The pushrod tubes were plastruct shapes I think.
Hope this helps,
Bryan
Old 05-12-2005, 01:28 PM
warbirdmustang

Frank Tiano has a very nice radial replica, but they are heavy( resin cast) and they come front half only. I think it says on his web site that they can't be made to replicate a "full engine" like on the nose of a Stearman. Williams Brothers had cylinders that looked good, may find them here or on ebay. Otherwise, I would say you got to build that thing. There have been some how to articles in the magazines before, I just don't know which ones and when. Maybe someone remembers the issues? I remember it didn't look too difficult, using a round tube for the cylinder, then file folder circles for the fins, I think everything else was carved balsa, with some nuts and bolts glued on for detail. The pushrod tubes were plastruct shapes I think.
Hope this helps,
Bryan
Old 08-28-2005, 12:17 PM
ElectRick

For what it's worth, Williams Brothers is back in production, reincarnated as Williams Brothers Model Products, out of Texas. The new owner (who is himself an avid modeler) is just now back in production, on a limited basis. He is ramping up production to bring back all the dummy cylinders, wheels, guns and other stuff we know and love, and is beginning to take orders from OEMs and suppliers. There's a thread somewhere on here about it, and a more current one over on www.rcscalebuilder.com .

Just thought some folks might not have heard. Like many other Stearman lovers, this is outstanding news for folks like myself needing quality dummy engines. I have three separate Stearman projects in the box that need them.

What's been so strange is that there is NO OTHER SOURCE IN THE WORLD for such dummy engines like the WB ones. Glad they're back. [8D]

Rick
Old 12-18-2005, 04:38 PM
Six-Shtr
My Feedback: (12)

I just obtained a pristine ...new in the box....complete Sterling Stearman and wow!!! That baby is intimadating! I wanted to thank this thread for the information about the weight and engine requiremnets! It is great to know there are other nut cases out there!

Sincerely,

Rick LIndsey in Medford, Oregon
Old 12-20-2005, 08:20 AM
bassman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been flying a Sterling Stearman for three years now. It started with an OS 91 four stroke and that was a great engine for the plane. I needed the OS for another project. When the time came I reengined the Stearman with a Magnum 75 two stroke with a Pitts muffler. Again a great plane engine combination. I flew it that way last season and decided that this plane really needs the sound of a four stroke. I have just reengined it with a Magnum 91 four stroke and will have it back in the air in the spring. The 91 FS has plenty of power to fly this plane. I guess more is always better (at least some of the guys in my club think so) but I am happy with the 91. I am replicating a real Stearman that does have a cowl. but if the William brothers stuff does hit the shelves again It will get an exposed radial.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83847.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	373161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76305.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	373162  
Old 12-20-2005, 09:36 AM
ElectRick

The Williams Brothers cylinders are available again already, if you call Daniel Brett at Williams Brothers Model Products directly to order. I've bought cylinders and guns for a project from him recently.

[link=http://www.williamsbrothersmodelproducts.com]Williams Brothers Model Products[/link]

Rick
Old 01-12-2006, 12:44 AM
RCPILOT78

JUST FINISHED MY STEARMAN...AND AM READY TO FLY....PLANE CAME OUT APPROX 11 LBS....I AM USING A SAITO 91 FOR POWER...KEPT THE ORIGINAL LANDING GEAR WIRE ..BUT REINFORCED IT WITH EXTRA WIRE BRACING...GEAR SEEM VERY SOLID...ANYONE STILL FLYING THEIR STEARMAN....LET ME KNOW IF CG IS 5" FROM LEADING EDGE OF TOP WING...AND 91 IS SUFFICIENT....HOW ABOUT AILERON AND ELEVATOR THROWS...NOT MUCH SAID IN PLANS...//////////I BUILT AND FLEW ONE ABOUT 25 YEARS AGO..I USED AN OS 80 FOR POWER AND IT WAS SUFFICIENT......I DON'T REMEMBER HOW HEAVY IT CAME OUT......DID THE SAME WITH THE LANDING GEAR AND IT WORKED OK...THE FIRST ONE FLEW VERY WELL IN FACT IT WAS A FLOATER....UNTIL I GOT BRAVE AND SHOWED EVERYONE HOW SLOW I COULD MAKE IT LAND /////// GOT HER TOO SLOW AND SHE SNAPPED AND OH WELL YOU KNOW THE REST...//////WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFO ON MY QUESTIONS.....THANKS RCPILOT78
Old 01-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Six-Shtr
My Feedback: (12)

Congratulations! I am just now completing the bottom wing after finishing the top wing. Have not started on the fusalge or tail feathers yet. Sure are a lot of pieces!!!! Anyway, my plans call for the CG for RC to be 4 and 7/8ths inches back from the top wing. Good luck and happy landings.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:04 PM
RCPILOT78

ALL RIGHT..I DIDN'T THINK ANYONE STILL HAD THE KIT....AS I SAID I BUILT 2 STERLING PT 17 FLEW ONE AND SOLD THE OTHER ONE...I FIGURED THAT BY NOW THE KIT WOULD HAVE DISSAPPEARED....I FOUND THIS ONE IN A STORAGE SHED IN CHICAGO..FRIEND OF MINE HAD PURCHASED IT 25 YEARS AGO AND NEVER BUILT IT...I FORGOT JUST HOW BAD THE KIT WAS...THE AIRPLANE ONCE BUILT IS BEAUTIFUL...AND MY FIRST ONE FLEW MAGNIFICENT..BUT YOU HAVE TO BUILD IT FIRST..THE WOOD IS BAD ,,,THE DIE SMASHING IS SHAMEFUL....AND PARTS WERE MISSING AND HAD TO BE MADE....I FIGURE MY PLANE IS 70 PERCENT KIT AND 30 PERCENT SCRATCH BUILT ....YOU HAVE TO GRIND AWAY A LOT OF THE HEAVY BALSA PARTS ESPECIALLY IN THE TAIL AREA...I DRILLED LIGHTENING HOLES EVERY WHERE I COULD.WITHOUT SACRAFICING STRENGTH.. THE PLY WOOD PARTS ARE BAD AND NEED TO BE LIGHTENED WHEREVER POSSIBLE.... MY PLANE CAME OUT AT 11LBS ALL UP WEIGHT..I FIGURE I SAVED ABOUT 2LBS BY REMOVING EXCESS BALSA AND PLY....THANKS RICK FOR THE CG INFO...KEEP US INFORMED ON THE PROGRESS...I LET YOU KNOW HOW SHE FLIES LATER..ALSO I USED THE STOCK PLASTIC RADIAL ENGINE AND IT LOOKS GOOD..BUT THATS ANOTHER STORY...LATER RCPILOT78
Old 01-12-2006, 07:27 PM
RCPILOT78

CORSAIRCRAZY...THE BEST WAY TO DEAL WITH THE ABS PLASTIC RADIAL ENGINE HALVES IS TO SANDWICH A SHEET OF I/8 INCH PLY BETWEEN THE HALVES..CUT THE ENGINE HALVES IN A ROUND CIRCLE AROUND THE CYLENDER HEADS THAN CUT A SHEET OF PLY TO MATCH THE HALVES..I USED HOT STUFF TO CEMENT THEM TO THE PLY....WHEN DRY GET YOUR DREMEL OUT AND CLEAN AWAY THE THE AREA BETWEEN THE CYLENDERS....THIS MAKES ONE STURDY PLASTIC ENGINE..LATER IF YOU LIKE YOU CAN FILL THE CYLENDERS WITH EPOXY AND MAKE IT EVEN STRONGER...I HAD TO ADD 8 OUNCES TO BALANCE I BURIED LED FISH SINKERS IN THE LOWER CYLENDER HEADS TO BRING THE PLANE IN BALANCE...I MOUNTED THE DUMMY ENGINE TO THE FIREWALL USING THREE 1/2" DOWEL MOUNTS...WHEN YOU CARVE AWAY THE PLY BETWEEN THE CYLENDERS LEAVE A PLY TAB IN THREE PLACES AT THE CYLENDER BASE TO MOUNT WOOD SCREWS TO THE WOOD DOWLES....THIS MAKES IT POSSIBLE TO REMOVE THE DUMMY ENGINE TO GET TO THE ENGINE....THE DOWLES ARE EPOXIED TO HOLES DRILLED IN THE FIREWALL...I HAVE MADE THREE DUMMY ENGINES USING THIS METHOD AND THEY LOOK GOOD...RCPILOT78
Old 01-12-2006, 09:31 PM
ElectRick

RCPilot--please hit your caps lock key once.

Typing your posts in all caps makes them not only hard to read, but is considered 'shouting' according to standard 'netiquette.

Thanks.

Rick
Old 01-13-2006, 09:16 AM
corsaircrazy

Wow!!!! I had almost forgotten about this thread.
I got a chance to talk to Daniel Brett, the new owner of Williams Bros. He made me a dummy engine at 2" scale. VERY cool!!! There aint nothin like a WB replica in the nose of a Stearman!. Also, he made me a set of smooth contour wheels, and I found a set of Robart Struts for this kit on Ebay... looks like I am set! Thanks for the info RCpilot78... I'll keep that in mind for other projects. That will definately stiffen it up. I got a new Saito 100 Golden Knight for this bird. I figured a black engine will not be so obvious as a sliver one..() at least that is what I told my wife.
I had to make an order to Lone Star Balsa to replace some of the wood in the kit. However the leading edges will have to be made by me, notches and all. Hey.... that's why we do what we do, right? I love this bird!!!
I got several pictures of a local bird (full scale) that was recently restored. Lots of good scale info there. This one has a Lycoming 9 cyl engine. Tiny little thing for a 9 cyl. But.... they did a great job restoring it and has an authentic blue and yellow paint job. US ARMY. Now that my Kitchen is almost finished.... I can get started building this thing.

CC
Old 01-13-2006, 02:57 PM
mangolo

I have one in the original box,it's one of the older kits with the aluminum cowl, it has been in my hangar for at least 30 years and
now is the time to start building it.Will be looking closely at this forum.Please send pictures when you have them.

Thanks for the info on the plastic engine

Mine will be powered by a OS .91fs

Waldo
Old 01-13-2006, 02:58 PM
mangolo

I have one in the original box,it's one of the older kits with the aluminum cowl, it has been in my hangar for at least 30 years and
now is the time to start building it.Will be looking closely at this forum.Please send pictures when you have them.

Thanks for the info on the plastic engine

Mine will be powered by a OS .91fs

Waldo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.