Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

CG Super Chip is DONE!!! PICS!!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

CG Super Chip is DONE!!! PICS!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 09:42 PM
ricknkim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG Super Chip is DONE!!! PICS!!

This is a kit that I started 3 years ago, got it completed and in the bones in about 3 months and then quit flying r/c for various reasons (job, family, too lazy, etc). I pulled it out of the closet about 2 months ago, ripped off the leading edge and front sheeting (too thin after sanding) and redid it. Added back in the flaps as per the plans. It is built as stock except for I added in dual aileron servos in the wings, carved the wingtips and bottom wing fairings out of balsa instead of the ABS pieces that come with the kit and replaced the cowl with a fiberglass one from Stan's Fibertech. Covering is Ultracote Cub Yellow and Black with the stock decals added back in. Power will be a YS 91 that I have not yet installed. Overall a good kit, pretty easy to build and I hear they fly really well. Probly won't maiden it for a few months, I need more stick time before I put this thing at risk. Thanks to everyone on these forums that helped me out and answered my questions. Anyhow, let me know what you think !!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63391.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	260311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22725.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	260312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34195.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	260313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40542.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	260314  
Old 04-19-2005, 09:50 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: CG Super Chip is DONE!!! PICS!!

ricknkim,
Very nice looking plane. Give yourself a pat on the pat. You did a great job.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:15 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Wow, that looks great ! I considered departing from the Art Scholl paint theme but I chickened out. You really pulled it off well ! It appears to have a classic and contemporary look at the same time.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:38 AM
x-craft
My Feedback: (3)

Wow, I guess we were both on the same train of though for this color scheme. Here is a pic of the model that I just finished and a photo of the full scale that I took the scheme from. Since in the photo you can't see the top of the wing I just did what I thought looked good. Mine had an OS91 for power. I was planning on doing the maiden this coming saturday but now I hear they are forcasting a potential snowstorm[:@] I thought this snow stuff was over!..

Anyway, nice work and have fun flying it.

Name:	Ol31415.jpg
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	260441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61066.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	260442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39313.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	260443  
Old 04-20-2005, 08:23 AM
ricknkim

Hah! I have to confess, I saw the same picture of that Chipmunk on the net...not sure if I saw if first here or from a Google Search and took the overall idea for the scheme from that same pic. I altered it a little on the tail and the wings, but the fuse sure looks the same! I guess the good news is if we both crash, we can combine the two planes to make a new one! Great looking Chippy, let me know how it flies!

Rick
Old 04-20-2005, 04:52 PM
x-craft

I know this weekends maiden flight is out of the question now. The weather is looking very bad for us here so I'm not even thinking about it right now. I will let you know when the time comes. Good luck with yours when you get it ready. Have you had your motor mounted and tried balancing the plane yet? Mine is very nose heavy and I'm gonna have to put in some tail weight.

Tim
Old 04-20-2005, 06:37 PM
ricknkim

I did a trial balance while it was still in the bones...it seemed to balance out pretty much on the spar with the battery all the way back in the radio compartment. I actually ended up putting the battery in the aft part of the fuse, right behind the radio compartment. Just CA'd some velcro straps in there and secured it that way. The engine I am putting in is a little heavy anyway so hopefully it won't come out too nose heavy...let me know how your maiden goes, I'm sure it will be before mine!
Old 04-21-2005, 10:50 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Going to have to show my wife these photos. I was looking to build one but she saw the cover shot of the one last month on RC Report I think. She said she wouldn't let me fly an Ugly plane like that no mater how nice it was in the air. Good looking planes both of you.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:54 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The CGP Super Chippy is an outstanding plane. You're gonna LOVE it with a YS 91!
Old 05-07-2005, 08:21 PM
x-craft

Rick, I wanted to let you know that I flew my chippie today. Three good flights. I initailly has some motor problems that kept it on the ground but those gremlins are now hammered out. This is one sweet flying airplane. You will love it. Only a couple clicks of down trim and all was good. The OS 91 is great power and gives great vertical. I flew it most of the time at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. here are a couple pics. Good luck when you fly yours. You won't be disappointed.

Tim

Name:	Bz78745.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	268396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34879.jpg
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	268397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67829.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	268398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19003.jpg
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	268399  
Old 05-08-2005, 05:40 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tim, You did an excellent job of piloting your Chippie yesterday. Congratulations on your successful maiden flights !!!
Old 05-08-2005, 05:33 PM
ricknkim

Hey, that's great!! Congrats on the successful maiden. My Chippy is still in the process of getting all the bugs ironed out, had a minor engine problem that set me back a little, now just doing small things like finishing up the pilot and sealing all the graphics while I wait for the wind to die down around here...
Old 05-08-2005, 06:12 PM
x-craft

I too had motor issues. I got the motor second hand but nearly new. After only a few minutes the motor would die out. It ended up being a valve adjustment. The guy I got it from had them set 2 1/2 turns to tight. Once the motor warmed up and things expanded the valves were then held open and the motor would loose compression. Once I adjusted them properly the motor ran great. Good luck on your maiden. Post pics!

Tim
Old 05-09-2005, 08:02 AM
eaglelope

Congrats Tim!

I'm still plugging away on my Chippie. Maybe June.....

Mark
Old 05-09-2005, 09:54 PM
halflight
My Feedback: (5)

Thought you might like to see a different Chippy. This is an Airsail Intl. kit from New Zealand. It's the RCAF version...flys great with a Saito 91.

Name:	Xv65453.jpg
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	269340