Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Less well known kit makers

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Less well known kit makers

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 01:03 AM
mimhoff
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Less well known kit makers

I am currently building a 4*60 and am really enjoying the kit building process. I have also placed an order for Bruce Tharpe's "Flyin' King" when it becomes available again in a couple of months. I understand that it will be worth the wait. I just "stumbled" on to BTE Models by accident-- I researched them here on RCU and found nothing but praise for both Bruce and his airplanes and now I am wondering if there are other small kit companies out there with quality products. It is easy to find opinions and reviews of Sig, GP, TF, CG and a few other "main stream" manufacturers. I would like to know the names of other quality kit companies that may not be as high profile (like the one's listed above).
Old 04-23-2005, 08:41 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Less well known kit makers

mimhoff,
There are a number of very good kit makers these days. One I'd highly reccommend is Mosquito Bite Planes (www.mosquitobiteplanes.com). I've just finished their T-Rex. The design and the laser cutting are absolutely wonderful and the kit builds quickly, although the construction methods are a bit unorthodox (yes, you CAN build a straight 85" wing in a bench vise!).
Other less-known-but-very-good kit makers (that I have experience with) are Fun Aero and Page Aviation. Fun Aero (www.funaero.com) puts out some great WWI kits in .60 size and larger. They're bringng out some new stuff soon as well. Page Aviation (www.adrianpage.com) has several different sized Gee Bees and Cubs. Beautifully done kits with lots of great "how to" tips hidden in the instructions. Adrian Page is one of the class acts of the industry. He's always available if you have a problem and he's a great guy to talk to.
Also, check out Bob Holman (www.bhplans.com) for laser-cut "short" kits for scale and old-timer subjects. Again, very nice work and good people.
This seems (to me anyway) to be the way of the future for kits. Check these out and keep your eyes peeledon the web and especially this forum. Good hunting!

papermache
Old 04-23-2005, 09:59 AM
mimhoff

papermache--

Thanks for the links. This is exactly the kind of info I was hopeing to find. In addition to glow I have been thinking about buillding an electric -- went to Page Aviation site -- saw the 80" Electric Cub -- she is a beauty -- i think I found my next kit.

Sometimes it is easy to over look the smaller vendors when you are not familiar with them and their offerings are not available at Tower/Hobby-Lobby etc.

Thanks -- gonna look at the "short" kits next.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:56 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some smaller models try Aspect Aviation. nice quality
Old 04-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

I can second that with Aspect Aviation. I have a Hyper Bee, had a Reflex (crashed on maiden due to pilot cockiness), also have a Lil Bubba, a second Reflex, and a Blitz stashed for later building.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30730.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	263165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13025.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	263166  
Old 04-26-2005, 04:00 AM
mimhoff

Thank-you. Is there a web site for Aspect Aviation? I did a Google seach and found an eBay listing but no regular web site.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:38 AM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Check out Northeast Aerodynamics http://www.ne-aero.com/; their kits build well, have excellent flight qualities...first class designs & kitting.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:25 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: mimhoff

Thank-you. Is there a web site for Aspect Aviation? I did a Google seach and found an eBay listing but no regular web site.
I wasn't able to find a site either. Email John Hoover at [email protected]. He's always been responsive. I've got a HyperBee that I'll build some day.

Another kit maker is Early RC Models www.earlyrcmodels.com run by Bob Harris. He's got a bunch of cool vintage kits.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:28 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Fubar-One

I can second that with Aspect Aviation. I have a Hyper Bee, had a Reflex (crashed on maiden due to pilot cockiness), also have a Lil Bubba, a second Reflex, and a Blitz stashed for later building.
Fubar, what tank did you use in your HyperBee? I measured a few and they were a bit too big. I may start building mine soon, but have yet to figure out what tank to use.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:39 PM
Fubar-One

Uh, I will have to get back to you on that. It would have been whatever was recommended in either the plans or intructions.
I need to open mine up anyway to replace the battery so I might have an answer for you later this week. That 270mAh pack went dead fast from sitting idle.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:18 PM
mimhoff

Piper Chuck---

Just wanted to thank you for additional links. Sorry didn't get back to you sooner but I had a business trip get in the way of my hobby.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:56 PM
EVOL
My Feedback: (2)

you already mentioned BTE (Bruce Tharpe Enginering) but i will second it. i just finished my flying king and it was the best quality i have ever seen in a kit.......even better than laser cut kits.

mimhoff let me know if you have and building questions when you get the kit. get the BTE tailwheel and build it with flaps......you will love it.

EVOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18628.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	264447  
Old 04-29-2005, 11:27 AM
carlosponti

man it would be cool of you could design a water siphon rig for the bomb bay doors on the bottom of that thing rig a fuel tank to hold water and they drop water since it is a fire rescue plane design
Old 04-29-2005, 06:51 PM
mimhoff

EVOL--

Thanks for the pic of your BTE "Flying King" -- I love the "US Forest Service" paint scheme you covered it in. I have been searhing the web looking at other "FK's" and I think yours is probably the coolest looking one I have seen. I have not even received my kit yet and I am trying to come up with a simple yet unique color scheme. I am considering a FedEx (Purple/White) paint scheme and make it a fictional FedEx cargo plane.

I may take you up on your offer to help with building questions. I plan on building with flaps -- I talked to Bruce and he is sending me 2 landing gear blocks so I can build it with both and have my choice of trike or tail dragger. Just learning to fly a tail dragger -- the first flight of my Sig Rascal 40 wasn't pretty...... I have some time to learn - so I hope to feel comfortable with a tailwheel by the time the FK gets here. I am optimistic so I did order the tailweheel. I also ordered the Fourmost Miter Saw -- hope it helps getting angled ends exact.

One question already-- I can not tell from the photo -- but did you the molded black window flange material? I see a black line at bottom of the window but I am not sure what you used.

Thanks again.

Mark