Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Fun 51 covering question!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Fun 51 covering question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 07:25 PM
rugrad02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fun 51 covering question!!!

Hello,

I am about to start building a Tower Hobbies Fun 51. It will arrive probably this week. I have a question about covering. Do I have to cover the plane after fixing the wing and tail sections? Can I cover the wing and tail sections seperately and then put them on? Thanks

KB
Old 04-24-2005, 08:22 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fun 51 covering question!!!

People do it both ways. Probably the neatest is to glue first and then cover because your covering will go over the glue joints and gaps. But that way is a P.ain I.T.A.

If you glue after you cover, alcohol removes epoxy from covering if you wipe it away quickly and with several fresh alcohol cloths.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Danh4
My Feedback: (5)

I worried about it too, but finally decided to cover mine after gluing the wing and stab in place and it turned out to be pretty easy. In fact, I covered each fuselage side, including the fin, with one big piece of covering that had a hole cut it it to slide down over the wing. I used Ultracote for the first time on my Fun51 and I think that helped. Just iron strips of covering in the angles where the wing/fuselage and stab/fuselage meet first and the rest is easy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25739.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	263128  
Old 04-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Fragmentum
My Feedback: (8)

I built mine several years ago and it has a couple hundred flights by now.

I covered after it was all glued together. I made fillets between the fuse and wing and made a strip over that to seal the fuse covering and the wing covering.
Petie 2nd was covered in as close to the real plane as I could at the time. There is a real P-51D at the Waukesha, WI airport with the same paint scheme.
It is covered in Monocoat. The antenna s routed through a hole up through the fuse and routed at scale out the 'canopy' and back to the top of the tail.

It is a FUN fun fly plane, and I have won many a contest with it!!!!!!![8D]

Old 04-26-2005, 06:32 AM
Danh4
My Feedback: (5)

Now that's a pretty plane! I see you have an LA on yours like I do, is yours LOUD like mine is? I don't know if it's the fuselage or the space in the wing but mine amplifies the sound or vibration from the .46 LA and sounds terrible in the air.

Dan
Old 04-26-2005, 07:21 AM
Fragmentum
My Feedback: (8)

It is just a tad noisier, and that is the 'drum' effect coming from the wing I think.....
I chose the engine for the color, of all considerations! Dumb, I know, but it WAS the correct color for the 'Blue Nosed *******s of Bodney' 352nd Fighter Group scheme I was using at the time...