Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Modding an LT-25

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Modding an LT-25

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 09:03 PM
CTDave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modding an LT-25

ok,I have a 40 with nothing to put it in sooo I now have an lt-25 coming.What mods or advice on this does anyone have to do to this?
Old 04-24-2005, 09:42 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Modding an LT-25

1. Flatten out the wing dihedril to about a half inch under one side.

2. Install bolts to hold on the wing.

3. Use larger liteweight wheels.

4. If this is a kit I would put a balsa cap on the end of the wings and do away with the stan-
dard tips as they are not sturdy and don't have much to offer in my view.

It should fly well with the 40...a friend had one with the above mods. lots of fun, may it RIP.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:47 AM
CTDave

Thanks,I was planning most of those mods.Did he use the standard way of two dowels in the front of the wing and bolts in the back to holt the wing on?I should have it in a couple days so I'm getting the list together so I can start. Thanks again
Old 04-25-2005, 10:56 AM
N925WB
My Feedback: (56)

I had one, and I only made two mods:

1. Installed an OS .46LA
2. Installed Dual Aileron servos out in the wings

I didn't remove any dihedral, but I did up the control surface deflection as much as the stock bevels would allow. This is a great airplane, and you will be thoroughly impressed with its flying characteristics. It lands at a crawl, but will have plenty of power for fun flying.

Good luck!

-Wayne
Old 04-25-2005, 03:01 PM
CTDave

Thanks,I have built a ton of LT-40's and 4*60's and a venture 60 with another one waiting.I wanted to do something different and I figured this would be nice seeing that I have cut bays out of the other lt's and well this one is already shorter and a tail dragger and lighter so what the heck we will go for it.I have a 40 and a 48 sitting around and we can put them to use,the 91GK Satio and 68 pro would be too much so we will have to get something for them also.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Hi Dave,
As I recall I used dowels, I built the plane for him but that was about three years ago and my old memory is not that good. ( there have been so many models during that time).
You will like the results, lots of power=FUN.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:09 AM
lownslo

I have had about 12 planes since getting into this hobby about 5 years ago. My LT 25 build was easy and it flew GREAT and was one of my favorites. It had 3 owners since I had it and still going strong. I had my first engine.... a .40 LA on the nose and it would do almost unlimited vertical!! The LA is not a strong engine but the plane is so light that the LA is a great match. I flattened the wing with no more than 1/2 in total dihedral. Other mods guys gave were good too. As far as the wing tips go....... AND THE FORMERS TOO...... they can be fragile. The formers are BALSA. There is very little lite ply in this kit. (that is why my .40 LA kicked butt). I build "heavy", and still this little jewel came out at only 4.5 lbs!!!![8D]
My advice, 1. Put some gussets and bracing in the wing tips and flatten out the dihedral. 2. I hardened the formers, AFTER installing, with CA. They are very weak since they are balsa. 3. IF you use dowels and bolt-on wing.... be SURE you put PLENTY of added strength on the former where the wing dowel (s) will enter. Lite ply doublers and soak in some CA to the former in general.
I was trying to learn some aerobatics and did not want to sacrifice my 4* 120 if I messed up. This LT 25 helped me try new things. It is not a true aerobatic plane..... but it did a GREAT job helping me learn the basics and it was a lot of fun flying this plane..... lownslo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93250.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	263347  
Old 04-26-2005, 11:06 AM
stallspeed

All the above mods are good ideas. I left off the wing tips as well, I just think it looks better. A one inch tailwheel looks nice on it as well and helps on grass fields. If I were to build another I would use bolt on wings rather than rubber bands-this plane is just to easy to fly to worry about bad landings. And like stated before dont be afraid to beef things up a bit if you like, it can handle it no problem. An OS 40 La with a 11-5 prop or 11-4 makes nice slow landings a thing of beauty. You made a good purchase with this airplane have fun!

Name:	Lj23369.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	263408  
Old 04-26-2005, 06:02 PM
CTDave

Thanks I will be using a l ot of your mods.I can't wait to see the difs between it and the LT40.What kind of dif did you see with no diehidral ?
Old 04-27-2005, 09:41 AM
stallspeed

[&:]As good as the LT-40 is, the 25 is even better. Its almost all balsa with just a few lite ply pieces, so this thing builds really light. I tend to overbuild by adding extra beefing up like triangle stock and landing gear plate area etc., but its still comes out very light. This plane will fly even slower than the 40, and can manuever better than the 40. I left my wing with the stock dihedral because I think it looks better with it, and I just wanted a mellow flyer rather than a stunt plane, even still it will do some basic stunts rather well. If you do remove the dihedral it will improve its self correcting manner if thats what you want, but if I were you build yourself a Tower Hobbies Up-Roar 40 for that -crazy fun! And leave well enough alone. One nice thing you might consider is making the wing a bolt on, not very hard to do if your a confident builder. Also put on some decent spring axles on the landing gear rather than the crappy bolt-washer-nut method that they have on the plans, yes it would work, but they are a pain as they tend to loosen and rub the tires. Have fun!
Old 04-27-2005, 05:01 PM
CTDave

Well I got home today and it was here so let the building begin.I was looking over the plans and that set up for the tail wheel looks overly more than needed.Why not run one rod from the servo to the rudder and one rod from the other side of the servo down to one side of the wheel tiller,eleminating that set up in the fuse ?Other than that it looks like a nice light kit,wood looks great too.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:29 PM
lownslo

I forgot to mention that. I did not use their pull-pull set up either. I used a free castoring Sullivan bracket. Your idea is a good one. I did that on my first plane 5 years ago. I converted a Hobbico SujperStar 40 trainer to a taildragger, while doing a crash re-build. Mind you this was my first plane, I had patched anyway, so I didn't even worry about a tube to run the 2-56 rod to the back. I usually don't do things half-*****, but this was a beat up trainer, and the only slop was going to be when it was on the ground. A streerable tail wheel is much nicer to have than a free castorin wheel. Go for it!! ....lownslo
Old 04-27-2005, 07:01 PM
stallspeed

[:@]Oh yeah I forgot to mention that pull-pull setup as well. I didnt like the looks of it either at first and was thinking of just running a push rod to it. But then I figured well why not give it a try, turns out it was pretty easy to set up and it works decent. I dont think a castering wheel setup like the other fella mentioned is to good, you would have poor ground handling. So flip a coin, pull-pull or good 'ol push rod. Also no need to over power this plane a small 30 four stroke or La 40 bushing engine is perfect. Life sure is full of decisions! You bought an excellent plane, Have fun.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:40 PM
GAP-RCU

I built my LT-25 pretty much stock except for a bolt on wing. Used two nylon bolts at the trailing edge and a single dowel on the leading edge, much the same as the 4*40 wing is held in place. I've kept a flight tally: 286 flights (and many more landings!) since Jan. 2001. The pull-pull tail wheel setup is completely stock and has never given me a problem on the rough grass field we fly from. A Saito 30 with an 11x4 Zinger.... sweet, sweet, sweet flying.

Good luck, Gary

Name:	Us52925.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	264022  
Old 04-28-2005, 04:21 PM
CTDave

Nice ideas,let me get your building tips.I have been building for many a year,and when I put the dowels in the wing leading edge I usually go all the way tru and into a lite ply piece that I put between the ribs and then epoxy the heck out of it.Is this overkill? or will a little way into the leading edge and epoxy do the trick?I do try to build strong.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:46 PM
lownslo

Do EXACTLY as you have done before, add the small piece of ply etc. Build strong. This plane is soooo light a little extra, "common sense strength/weight", will not hurt it at all. Go for it. ....lownslo
Old 05-01-2005, 09:38 AM
CTDave

Well after moving my daughter and the work sechedule I finally managed to get a wing panel done.You were right what a nice building plane.I have one ? Yes after building this panel this plane is going to be very light,Which leads me to the ? Is a 40 going to be alright on it seems like I could power it with a couple of rubber bands (how many remember those days?) haha
Old 05-01-2005, 09:53 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as your glue joints are well covered you should be OK with a .40. I have a Thunder Tiger .36 with a 12x4 prop on mine. This works as I don't need instant accelleration and usually fly at 1/2 throttle or less. I have the modified bolt on wing as well as many other changes to bash it into a Cessna 185 well sort of.......

Name:	Nl29863.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	265348  
Old 05-01-2005, 10:06 AM
lownslo

GarySS.....What a nice job you did on that LT-25. Yours is about the same color as mine, (post#7), but you did a real good job on exterior mods!!! The nose looks fantastic!! .......lownslo
Old 05-01-2005, 11:59 AM
CTDave

Thanks,very nice job on yours I like the colors.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:00 PM
DBono99

Heres my LT 25..OS25fx, APC 9x4 10% Omega.. Built pretty much stock except for the wing bolts and reducing the dihedral to 2".. Did not care for the tail wheel set-up at first, but I installed IT with NO probelms seems to work fine.Don't like the placement of the battery and reciever..I now have an 1100 mha battery, and I can't get to 600 mha battery.. The reciever would have to come out..Haven't got a flight on it yet, due too the winds..Hoping to maiden this week end.

Dan
Old 05-14-2005, 08:02 AM
DBono99

Let me try again..Don't know why the pics weren't uploaded.
Dan

Name:	Ig12241.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	271155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70035.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	271156  
Old 05-14-2005, 09:42 AM
sparky333
My Feedback: (11)

ive never built a kit do you guys think this would be a good kit to start out with
Old 05-14-2005, 11:32 AM
GAP-RCU

Yes, I think this is an excellent kit to start with. Build it exactly per the instructions, and you'll have very few problems (at least none that can't be readily answered in this forum).

Good luck, Gary
Old 05-20-2005, 07:46 AM
DBono99

Hi All
Well I finally got my LT 25 in the air..What a nice flying plane, goes exactly where you point it..The OS25fx is sure enough power for this plane.Had some trouble with the tail wheel, not staying centered.. Used some CA to fix it. This would be a great 1st plane..

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.