Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Wrapping up build of 4* 40. Final issues

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Wrapping up build of 4* 40. Final issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 12:17 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrapping up build of 4* 40. Final issues

OK, guys

So I placed an order to Tower tonight for the final supplies to complete my 4* 40. (monokote, straight edge, paints, fuel tubing, etc).

Got a couple issues:

1) What is up with installing the wing? I am looking at the instructions on drilling the wing mounts, for the nylon bolts. I need to "tap" it. I am unfamiliar with what that means. I assume there is some sort of tool I can buy that creates wooden threads that match up with the nylon threads on the bolts. Where do I buy this thing? What do I ask for? I live in suburban Chicago, and have access to all the normal "chain" hardware stores, etc. I built an LT-40, so I am not a total novice, but I just dont know about this issue with drilling the wing mounts.

2) My wing currently fits the fuselage "like a glove". It fits snuggly. I dont have to force it, but there is firm contact wood-to-wood contact everywhere when I slip the wing into the fuse. It fits perfectly. I am wondering if it might be too snug, and not fit once I cover the wing. Looking for a little experienced advice on this issue. Should I sand it to the point where it is "a little loose"?

3) I'd like to put the wheel pants on. However, I really dont see any at Tower that would work. Sig recommends a sig part for that. I am using the Du-Bro foamie wheels, 2-3/4". I guess I need to order Sig Pants from my local hobby shop. I am going to put a nice finish on this plane. I am covering this thing in Sig Monokote Skyblue and white, and using LustreKote paint to finish the landing gear, paint the cowling, and of course, fuelproof the cheeks and the inside fuel tank area of the airframe. I am wondering if I pursue the wheel pants? I see lots of pics of them in these forums. I know they suck to fly off of grass with...and my plane is gonna fly off of grass. I hear they are only good for taking pics.

-Tom
Old 04-25-2005, 12:53 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Wrapping up build of 4* 40. Final issues

You are correct. A tap is used to cut inside threads, like on a nut, or in your case the wing mount blocks. To cut threads on the outside, like on a bold, you would use a die. You can get these at most hardware chain stores. You will be asking for a 1/4 20 tap and tap handle. If you have not yet drilled your mounting holes, this is how I would recommend doing it. If you have a drill press, or a friend who has a drill press, drill a hole of the recommended diameter into a small block of wood. Say, something in the order of 2" x 2" x 1 1/2". You can use this block as a guide to keep the drill at the proper angle when you drill your wing mounts. Once the hole is drilled, tap the threads in the mount blocks. You can "harden" the threads by putting some thin CA into the threads. If you use the thin CA, after it dries, run the tap through again to clean the threads.
If you haven't finalized your Monocote order, you might want to consider Ultracoat. It works at a lower temp. and a lot of people find it easier to work with. The covering shouldn't affect the fit of your wing to the saddle, it is very thin.
On my 4*, I didn't add wheel pants. I used the Robart wheels with the solid hubcaps and painted them to match my color scheme.
A couple of things I found when I maidened my 4 * that I would suggest. Set your ailerons so their bottoms are flush with the bottom of the wings when in the neutral position. Also, be conservative with your throws. Better to have a little less throw than too much.
The plane can be a little squirly on the runway. To help this I did 2 things. I used the next size up tailwheel, and I added a little toe-in on the main gears.

Good luck!

Scott