Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

A couple of BTE Venture 60 questions

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

A couple of BTE Venture 60 questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 09:38 AM
JasonWilliam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple of BTE Venture 60 questions

Hello all!

I was finally able to get some good building time in Sunday. This plane practically builds itself. In 6 hours of building, I've got both wings done. It is just falling together.

I went ahead and built them minus one rib. I've read everywhere that its a better flier with the shorter wing, and Bruce himself says its a modification he supports. When I was completing the second wing, it occurred to me, however, that the Saito .91 I've got slated for this bird might now be too much. The engine is beyond the recommended range as it is, and now... so question #1: With the clipped wings, is the Saito .91 too much, and if so, what engine do you suggest?

I'd like to use see through covering. It will be my first attempt at it and thought this plane deserves it... the skeleton is just so elegant. The only concern I've got is visibility. I'm in Northern California and a typical flying day will start out with gray fog and finish with high blue skies. Question #2: what can I do to make this plane as visible as possible? What color(s)? Is transparent covering a good idea?

Thanks guys for the help. I'll post some build comments and pictures shortly.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:51 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A couple of BTE Venture 60 questions

the saito 91 is fine. he only lists it as up to an 80 4-stroke knowing that people will overpower it. rather than saying a 100 4-stroke and then people will put 120's and 140's on it. as for the transparent covering i can't help you there the only thing i have tried it on is a small electric and it is flown close in. someone else should be able to help you.
Dennis
Old 04-26-2005, 03:15 PM
JasonWilliam

Thanks Dennis. I guess my biggest concern was wing loading, but after comparing weights between the Saito .82 (462g) and the .91 (520g) there is a difference of 38g (1.34oz). I guess that isn't enough to worry about then?

Anyone have any feedback on transparent coverings?

Thanks again.

Edit: It just occurred to me that the recommendation is an .80 4-stroke, not the .82. This recommendation was probably made before the .82 was available. The weight on the .80 is 540g; 20g heavier than the .91. If we can assume Bruce based his recommendations on the Saito, I guess the .91 will be just fine from a wing loading perspective.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:38 PM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

I am still in the process of trying to finish up my Venture 60. When I first started I asked Bruce about using a Saito 100 on this plane. He said it is OK if you use good throttle management but due to the lightweight airframe the .80 is the largest he recommends. You are right about the .82, it wasn't available yet when this plane was designed. The problem is the wing may fold in a power-on dive with the extra power of the 100. Using the extra power for improved vertical is fine, however.

I originally planned on putting a 100 on mine but decided against it when a Saito .82 I had in my inventory "became available" - I figured the power of the 100 would be better used on a different plane. The Venture builds so light I felt the .82 should be plenty for the non-3D design of this plane.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:45 AM
inverted flyer

the 82 is kinda ideal, with either this or the 91 for balance you may well have to put one servo in the tail - maybe a direct rudder servo
I.F.