Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Bel-Air 60

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Bel-Air 60

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 12:14 PM
iflircaircraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bel-Air 60

Hi:
I know this an older kit, how old I'm not sure!
It was given to me by a fellow club member who doesn't have the time to build.
Anyone have any info as to how difficult it is to build or how it flies.
I have one Bipe to my building experience which is the Great Planes Super Skybolt. Does the Bel-Air compare to to that in building and flying?
Thanks in advance:

Tom
Old 04-25-2005, 09:07 PM
iflircaircraft

Default RE: Bel-Air 60

The Instruction Manual was printed in 1983.
It almost looks like a prdessor to the Ultimate bipe.
Here's a pic.
The pic doesn't show the wing struts, as they are an option as well as wheel pants.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99930.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	263154  
Old 04-26-2005, 08:14 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I built one. In fact, it is still in my hanger. It was no more difficult to build than any other plane. All parts fit were perfect. I haven't flown it because I have too many planes in my hanger. I want to always have a back up plane for when I "use up" my other planes. Don't hold back. just jump into it. I'm not good at soldering and there is some that has to be done on this kit. It sure looks nice and isn't heavy. Ought to fly very well. Good Luck.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:02 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had one up until about 5 yrs ago when I traded it off. It had a ST S61 in it. It's a very impressive looking plane. I didn't have a computer radio then and the elevator seemed extremely sensitive. It may be too large? Anyway with some expo on the elevator, and dual rates it would have been even more impressive. It seemed to have plenty of power with the 61 engine.

It's not the 3D plane that the Ultimate bipe is. It's more of a hot sport plane.

Very nice looking though.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 04-26-2005, 09:28 PM
iflircaircraft

Thanks for your input.
I started building it today and as you had mentioned it does have some soldering which I have already encountered with the aileron torque rod having a brass fitting for the control horn.
It is supposed to come in @6 to 7 1/2 lbs.
Do you think a Saito 72 4-stroker will fly it ? This looks like it screams for a four banger.
I've got 90% of the left bottom wing completed so far.
It doesn't look as complicated a build as my Super Skybolt was.
Thanks again.

Tom
Old 04-27-2005, 07:34 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The designer and original manufacturer was Ernie LaChance, a friend of mine in Massachusetts. He was originally the shop supervisor for Lou Andrews before striking out on his own. Unfortunately, the business changed hands several times since its start.

All of Ernie's designs were excellent.

Paul
Old 04-30-2005, 05:00 PM
bipeaddict

I have built and flown the Bel-Air 40 biplane. It went together very nice and flys great. I have a Saito 56 on it. I wish it had a little more get up and go. A YS63 would be great fun.

Anyway, I have been so impressed, I bought another 40 and picked up a 60 of this great biplane.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Cutlass 60

I also have a Bel Air 60 Bipe kit wating to be built. I have had the kit for quite a few years. However, after flying an Aeromaster and a Sig Hog Bipe, all other bipes I have flown have not measured up to those two great designs. The Phaeton II was close but still not in the same league in my opinion. The Bel Air is a good looking bipe, but I wonder how it would perform. If anyone has any input as to their experience with this design, I would be interested in hearing their opinion.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:45 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

the bel air 40 and sixty are of the aeromaster "ilk" and should be good sport flyers. i just bought a 40 on ebay and can't wait to build it.
also have two aeromasters one is a crash and one is an old hanger queen, should get a nice bipe out of the pair.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:46 PM
hag
My Feedback: (2)

I built a BelAir about ten years ago. A very nice kit, as all those NE kits were. Low parts count, excellent wood quality and fit. Went together fast. One thing I would change would be to put ailerons on the top wing. Way too slow roll rate. Other than that, a nice looking plane, and a *****cat to fly.

Hag
Old 11-30-2005, 09:12 AM
bassman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have two of the 60 kits on the way. I fly a 40 now and it is a quick clean flying plane. I am looking forward to the 60 size.

Bassman