Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

How to make Z bends?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

How to make Z bends?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 02:45 PM
dragonhaven2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make Z bends?

Anyone have any good or easy ways to do this with normal pliers? I always junk my wires up, there must be some prper technique.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:47 PM
BedfordBob
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: How to make Z bends?

I'm not sure I can describe this in words very well but here goes. Make a 90 bend in the end of the wire. Grip both parts of the 90 degree bend in the pliers and make the second bend which is not in the same plane as the first bend. Now twist the first leg 90 degrees to make the entire wire in the same plane.

Make sense?

Bob
Old 04-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Test005

Old 04-26-2005, 04:08 PM
Test005

Before I bought my z-pliers (which I recommend you to buy) I used to clamp the wire in a wise and use a hammer to shape a Z bend, works pretty good actually!

-First you clamp the wire and make a 90degree angle on the end of it, leaving 1/2 inch.
-Then you release it and clamp the short (1/2 inch wire) and make another 90 degree on that one, done!

(English is not my mother tongue, I wonder if anyone understood my "instructions"? )
Old 04-26-2005, 04:29 PM
ronrange
My Feedback: (20)

First you take zee wire to be be bent. Zen you take zee pliers zat you are going to use to make the z bend with. You place zee wire in zee pliers being careful to locate in zee proper place to result in zee proper length for zee part you are making. Zen, you bend zee wire to the shape of a z. You cut to length and voila, you have z bend.

Anonymous
Old 04-26-2005, 04:47 PM
Test005

Dude, I'm not German
Old 04-26-2005, 05:05 PM
tucker1865
My Feedback: (6)

dragon....Drive 2 large nails in a board about 1/8 inch apart. Keeping the wire flat bend to 90 degrees. Flip it over and do it again. This is similar to Harry Higley's bending jig. You can put in more nails as you need, a little experimentation and you will figure it out. Hope this helps. Use framing nails, ie. 16d. If you are splitting the board, try pre-drilling the board. Use a doug fir 2 by 4 piece. Some clarification. put the wire between the two nails to bend to 90 degrees, and bend one leg.