Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Thinking of an Ultimate kit!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Thinking of an Ultimate kit!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 11:57 AM
heavythumbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of an Ultimate kit!!!!

I was wondering what brand ultimate kit to get. I am looking in the 50 to 60 inch range. Any suggestions? It will be my 2nd kit (first was a House of Balsa P-51 very easy to build!!!!) so I dont want one that is extreamly difficult to complete!!!! I see Goldberg has one but is there any out there that is laser cut?
Thanks
Old 04-30-2005, 12:25 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Thinking of an Ultimate kit!!!!

Where in WA are you??? I'm doing the goldberg Ultimate right now, well off and on I am but it's a nice kit but a bit on the buildy side. ( is buildy even a word??[sm=confused.gif])
Old 04-30-2005, 12:43 PM
heavythumbs

I live up here in Bellingham. I am going to be in school in Bellevue so I get a wonderfull commute for the next few years!!!!!
Old 04-30-2005, 12:47 PM
zope_pope

Easy to build Ulty kit that isn't buildy at all is the GP Ultimate .40 . It is a little bit smaller than you are looking at, but it flies awesome! I will post some pictures of mine when i get a chance.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:39 AM
rcmiket

Can't beat the Goldberg... I hate to say this but the ARF is a much better deal.. Glass Cowl, Nice landing gear, its set up for servos in the wing not the bell crank. I've built several and they fly great. The ARF flies just a well with alot less work. Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14640.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	265900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82597.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	265901  
Old 05-02-2005, 12:42 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Have to agree with rcmiket, the goldberg is a a great flying plane, but the ARF is a much better deal. You can't build it for that cheap and if you use one of the tower discount coupons mine was 290ish shipped to my door. The glass parts and covering alone for the kit and your over the cost of the ARF. But the goldberg kit is a nice easy build my first one was a kit my second was an ARF.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:30 PM
heavythumbs

Wellllllll, it sounds like the Goldberg kit is the way to go. I would contemplate the arf but I am really not wild about the color scheme and it is more money up font.....It seems like if I piece things together as needed it doesn't seem so expensive...at least for the wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was contemplating the Great planes kit but I like the size better of the Goldberg. Bigger is better right!!!! Keep the comments coming about any building suggestions or things that would make the kit easier to build...I am fairly new at the modeling thing but really do enjoy it.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:44 PM
rcmiket

The kit builds nice, my advise is get a aftermarket fiberglass cowl,wheel pants and landing gear. The top wing alignment pin is a bit tricky so make sure you get it right. Just for fun track your cost to build then look at the ARF price. I really think you'll be suprised at how much it costs to build. I think building is a great part of our sport and I think everyone needs to build to learn how these things go together enjoy. Heres a picture of my Proctor N-28. Talk about work. Have fun Mike

Name:	Pn36681.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	266145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63054.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	266146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78123.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	266147  
Old 05-02-2005, 11:44 PM
zope_pope

Heres my little ulty. Great flying plane, just requires mixing in the knife edge, unfortunately. Tame and wild at the same time, plus the build is super easy (it was my first build).

Name:	Mk25402.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	266247  
Old 05-06-2005, 06:47 PM
Norm Nestie

Heavythumbs, I built the CG ultimate a couple of years ago and as everyone says it is a great flier. There are some area that need beefing up as the design is just plainly not good enough. Some tips FWIW, the ribs that the N struts bolt to should be doubled. The wing saddle area is weak, especially after all the "Knock out" pieces are removed. I have since made 1/8' solid ply
"plates" glued to inside of fuse sides. Wing bolt down blocks really need to be more secure as well. I made 1/4' ply pieces to fit under hardwood blocks secured to fuse sides. Where the cabanes bolt on to the fuse is also another area that needs strengthening. I dubled up the ply and used lots of glue, tri stock etc. I may have added some weight to the plane but even with a ST 75 she flies great and is a lot stronger in these areas than it was.