Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What to build next?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What to build next?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 09:01 PM
ricknkim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to build next?

Ok, here is my dilemma...I have nothing on the building board!! AAARGH! For some reason I must have a project going at all times...can't leave well enough alone. Anyhow, here is my current hangar:

World Models Sky Raider II 40 size (low wing aerobatic trainer)
Sig Somethin Extra
CG Super Chipmunk 60 size (never flown)

I just bought the Sky Raider thinking it would be a decent throw around plane. Put the OS 40LA engine from my original high wing trainer into it and flew it this weekend. Flight was so so. The plane is VERY light and really gets popped around by the wind. Also floats like a you know what on landing. Overall I was underwhelmed...but then again it is only $69 for the ARF. I like flying the Somethin Extra but it has a ST 51 on the nose and is a pretty quick plane in the air. Not something that is really a relaxing, lazy flyer. The Super Chip I just finished and I don't have the guts or the stick time to put it in the air just yet.

I also have a GP Super Skybolt in the box waiting to be built. I was thinking of starting it, but I really think I need a full season of more flying under my belt before I fly a bipe so I think that might be my winter build.

So...I am to the point where I am considering building another plane. I used to have a 4 star 40 about 4 years ago and liked how that plane flew. I was kicking around the idea of building another...maybe finish it and then take the guts out of that World Models ARF and put it into the four star, then sell the ARF to someone for a few bucks. Of course then I got to looking at other comparable planes and now I can't decide. One major issue is portability. The field I fly at is near my work but about 30 minutes from my house. The plane needs to be able to fit into a Honda Accord (preferably the trunk). Since my Super Chip won't even come close to fitting in the trunk I am thinking that might nix the 60 size planes (although I have looked at the BTE Venture 60 and drooled a little). Basically I am looking for a fairly stable plane that will do most of the aerobatics and look good doing them. Here are my choices as I see em:

1) Four Star 40 (clip a bay, dual servos, add to rudder, etc) - The old standby, I have fond memories of my last one
2) GP Super Sportster - From what I hear good flyer but pretty fast, not as forgiving as the four star
3) GP Ultra Sport - Sorta the same as #2
3) BTE Venture 60 - May have transportation issues
4) Stick with the planes I have and fly em as is, spend more time with my family instead of in my garage

The 40 size planes I could put the 40LA into or buy a new 46 size engine. The 60 would require a new 60 size engine...the 40 LA was the only one I had laying around. So, given all that, what do you guys think??
Old 05-02-2005, 09:17 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Default RE: What to build next?

I would say you should build the Skybolt. I am building one now, and they take a long time to build. Mine was my winter build, and it is nearly finished. I started in January. I have also built the super sportster and would highly recommend it.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:33 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

This one is a no brainer. Build the Ultra Sport. IMHO THE BEST sport flying plane ever built. Once you build one you will always need to have one in your hanger. Trust me on this one, because I've enough Ultra Sport kits sitting on the shelf so that I don't ever have to worry about having one to build.

This plane will do just about anything you ask it to. This plane makes anybody look like a pro-pilot.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:16 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I'm pretty much the same way. A week after the last kit is finished and the shop is clean, I open the box on another kit. Well, I have been flying for 26 years, so I don't crash enough to keep the fleet down to a reasonable size. Oh, I sell a plane now and then, but the secrete to avoid a house full of airplanes, as well as a good resale price, is to build scale models. Scale planes take a bit longer to build. The fit and finish is much more critical for the appearance of the model. So you will likely have that scale project on the board as long as it takes to build two or three sport kits. And if the house does start to overflow, scale planes sell for a good price. Not many people are willing to build a scale ship, but that doesn't help them resist one that goes on the market and flys well. One myth about scale planes is that they don't fly well. Well, they do. They fly remarkably well . Its just a thought. If you start to run out of hanger space and feel the need to curb your rate of airplane acquisition, building scale kits is a fun way to keep busy.
Warbird kits are always in production. The world will never out. But Civil kits are a bit more difficult to come by. And Civil doesn't mean boring either. That Skybolt is the perfect example of a great flying civil homebuilt airplane. The RV's are extremely popular at the airport these days. There would be no problem selling one of those. I prefer the older planes and kits myself. There are Tri-Pacers and Bonanzas, Commanches, Ercoupes, Cessnas, Cubs, Arrows, Stinsons, Navions, Aeroncas and just about anything else that you might care to build. Most of the civil kits are out of production now, but can still be found for sale on the web. These were some of the most sought after kits in the 70's and early 80's when scale civil was very popular. They may not build as easily as the modern kits, but we have the technology to tame them. The instant glues, the matching paints, the light weight wheels, and high output engines ( and in cowl mufflers) allow the modern builder to obtain a great finish with high performance and at a lighter weight. So they fly great. Better than ever. That is a lot to chew on. And it might be a bit early to plant this seed. But keep them in mind.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:24 AM
mcarleno

If your looking to build, a great sport plane that is in the 40-60 size is the TopFlite Contender 60. It is a pretty quick build (Gold Edition - laser cut). It is also pretty cheap ($79 from tower). A good 46 will provide plenty of power and with a 53" wing span it will probably fit in your trunk.

Another quick build and cheap (40 size) is tower's uproar 40 kit ($39 from tower). This is a great airobatic trainer. Fly's great with a good 45/46 and a 12.25 x 3.75 APC prop. About 50 MPH top speed with that prop and unlimited verticle. It has a fixed wing and a 48" wing span. Might be a good step up from a sport in preperation for you BIPE. It is in the same class as the Profile fun 51 ($44) with a 44" wing span.

Now if your looking for something that will take a little more time. I haven't had as much fun building a kit ever as the my Yak-3 from Red Star RC. 40 Size and 55" wing span. I can't comment on it's flight characteristics because I am two weeks out from maiden.

Here my link:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Red_...2502036/tm.htm

and a picture:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93953.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	266265  
Old 05-03-2005, 08:39 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go with the GO Ultra Sport.

PS, I'll be happy to take that Skybolt off your hands for you
Old 05-03-2005, 08:44 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Go with the GO Ultra Sport.

PS, I'll be happy to take that Skybolt off your hands for you
Now now Minn, You've got too much on your hands right now as it is. If you take his Skybolt you're going to have to send me that Christian Eagle you have in your shop!!!

[8D]
Old 05-03-2005, 09:23 AM
ricknkim

No way man, I love the look of the Skybolts and I hear they fly pretty well too! Plus I picked it up NIB for $100, decent discount off of retail! Seriously considering the Ultra Sport, although that Yak is a sweet looking airplane. You did a fantastic job on it! Only problem is I would probly be afraid to fly that thing too after I put 5 months into it!