Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

looking for a good kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

looking for a good kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a good kit

I am looking for a fun kit to build. I have looked through Towers stock and just dont see anything that catches my eye.

I am looking for a .25-.90 size kit that is good sport flyer and a medium skill level kit to build.

I am really looking for a fun plane to build that I can take my time with and do an elaborate monokote scheme.

Maybe something in the semiscale range. A WWII plane that doesnt require a ton of scale work and is fun to fly.

Maybe something with retracts that can be done economically. Also, I need soemthing on the smaller side. Arounda 65inch wing span would really be the max. Also, I dont want someting that everyone and their brother has.

I am being very vague bc I dont know what exactly I am looking for, but I know when I see it I will know its exactly what I'm looking for
Old 05-04-2005, 01:58 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: looking for a good kit

It sounds like you are looking for a kit bashing project.
Taking a regular kit, and changing the basic outline and shape, using creative covering and finishing methods to create a one of a kind airplane that looks "sorta" like a real one.
The Sig 4-Star, Astro Hog, Somethin Extra are great kit bashing kits. Some older out of production kits you can still find if you look, are the Ace 4-40, 4-60 both monoplane and bipes versions. Any "Stik" kit can be kit bashed into great looking airplanes. You are only limited by your imagination.
By changing the turtle deck, canopy or reshaping the tail feathers or wing tips you can changing the entire appearance of the airplane. Using a specific miltary color scheme with decals and panel lines turns it in to a real attention grabber at the field. A little imagination, balsa, sandpaper and effort and you will have a great flying airplane that is a one of a kind.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:55 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

They are hard to find. I have been looking for one myself. It is a Marks Models Fun Scale Mustang, 40 size. I have seen them built in one week. They wieght about 4 pounds. They look good and fly great. Look on Ebay.

Super Sportsters, can be bashed to look like a reasonable Spitfire and they fly great also.

The Sig Kouger flys great, and sorta looks like a 50's era jet fighter.

The Jemco Fun Scale Hellcat, Fock Wolfe, Corsair, and Texan are nice. They don't have that sport plane forgiveness. But they fly well and are smack dab in the middle of intermidiate build difficulty. They look better than most other Fun Scale fighters. Glass parts are still available.

I just built the Pica T28 and the CG Chipmunk. Both look good and fly great and are around 65". You don't see many of the T28's around and mine sure gets alot of attention. At 7.5 lbs, it really flys good too. There are authentic paint schemes that use almost any color you can imagine, from yellow to camo, to white or grey or sliver. There is a yellow and blue target tug scheme also. They are easier to build than most people realize.

What you are describing was once the meat and potatos of the the kit industry. So you might find what you are looking for in an older kit. I have bought dozens off ebay and have been very pleased. I would recommend looking on ebay to everyone. It does help to know what you are looking for and what brand names are reputable. There is alot of junk on ebay also. So stick to the quality kit brands. The ones that I listed here are all good in my opinion and I have seen or owned them before.

Old 05-04-2005, 04:54 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I must have the same problem. Thats why I have 5 airplanes being built all at the same time now. You gotta love it.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:30 PM
mcarleno

I know that folks are probably getting tired of my post about the plane that I am building.

But in response to the original post:

WWII Sport Scale

55" Span

Lasercut

Minimal scale details required

My build time was less than 60 hours

Finishing has taken a lot of time, but thats because I covered with Koverall/Dope and painted all of the graphics (exception kill markings and words). If I had gone with MonoKote or UltraCoat my estimate what have been about 80 hours with covering and radio.

5 lbs finished

40 Size (I am running an SK50 $49)

Machanical Retracts (Hobbico $17)

A lot of these Russian planes had awsome color schemes

With accessories, engine, flight-pack < $450 for the whole thing

And best reason of all -- I don't know a single person in my club that has one.

http://www.redstarrc.com -- Yak-3

Marc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73594.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	266974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94622.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	266975  
Old 05-04-2005, 05:59 PM
robert92679

Have you seen the Skyshark line of kits?

http://www.skysharkrc.com

I also second the suggestion to check out eBay for some out of production kits. Pica is one brand with a good reputation that had a number of WWII birds. Royal/Marutaka is another brand, but those may be more difficult (and expensive).
Old 05-04-2005, 06:48 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take A look at House Of Balsa, they make A kit for the P-51 that is small and very well designed and A great little plane in the air.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:40 PM
rcdude37

check out the GP dazzler, i have heard of about 10 people that fly them and i am building one as soon as im done with this crop duster on the bench, that might be a while but some day....
Old 05-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

BTE Venture.
Havent built one yet but I have the kit in hand and plan it for my next build once I get my board cleared.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:46 AM
KG4EHL
My Feedback: (3)

Not sure exactly what your looking for but you did mention scale and you did say .25 to .90 size. I am currently building the GP T-craft. Probably not what your looking for but of all the kits I have built it seems to lend it self to very detailed structure. Like the built up barn door ailerons and wing tips. Just a nice looking plane. cheap to purchase and cheap to power. An OS .25 LA would work great and you could practice detailed covering with out buying allot of material to cover with.
Anyway thought I would throw it out there as an idea.

Old 05-05-2005, 05:50 AM
Mr_Scale
My Feedback: (7)

Check out the line at www.jsmodels.com
Old 05-05-2005, 05:54 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gringo,

Check out the "T-Rex" at mosquito Bite Planes (www.mosquitobiteplanes.com). If you're looking for something different in a kit, this one is it!

papermache
Old 05-05-2005, 10:14 AM
escipion

Hello!!!!!
If you are looking for some WW II fun scale plane, take a look at Wing Manufacturing page, not so dificult short kits, even you can use some no so expensive mechanical retracts with those planes.

http://www.wingmfg.com/

have a great day
Escipion
Old 05-05-2005, 11:00 AM
F-16WpnsTech

http://www.btemodels.com/venture.html. "Hurry while supplies last."
Old 05-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Gringo Flyer

Marc I do like that plane and would love some more info on yours.

How does it fly?

I would probably monokote the plane though and would probably go for a non scale scheme. I dont have the patience or know how for the WWII designs.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:23 PM
biton

Volador,

The GP P51D kit may be just what you are looking for.
It is a 40 size "semi-scale" (by that I mean it is scale looking but not as accurate as the real scale kits, such as topflite), doesn't require as much work as full scale kits of the mustang, and is quite versatile (you can really bash it around).
Other than that, it is supposed to have sport flight characteristics so it is more fun to fly then real scale.
Biton
Old 05-07-2005, 04:42 PM
mehmetkuc
My Feedback: (1)

The best is seduction streamline from okmodel. The kit is extreme engineering from laser cut parts to cowling. You will have a lot of fun building it. I have built one and I have ordered new one.

Old 05-07-2005, 04:45 PM
mcarleno

Gringo,

She will maiden next week end (that's the plane) I will post you on her flight characteristics then.

Marc
Old 05-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Gringo Flyer

Marc,

Thanks for the recomendation. I am just about sold on the plane after reading through Mihaj's build thread. It looks like a blast to build and its a great looking plane.

I think its just what I was looking for. Semi-scale, retracts, not a run of the mill plane, and a fun build.