Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Four Star 40 question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Four Star 40 question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 08:01 AM
N8theSk8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Four Star 40 question

What techniques have you guys used to sand the leading edge of the wing to make sure it is the shape in the plans/manual?
Thanks for you help!
Old 05-05-2005, 09:26 PM
andyroo_m

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Four Star 40 question

I didnt do anything special for mine. I just used a sanding block, and went in long strokes up and down the leading edge. It just takes a little bit of patience. And, it is just my opinion, but it doesnt have to be perfect, just get it close to what it looks like in the manual. here are a couple pictures of what mine looked like.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85589.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	267501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32127.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	267502  
Old 05-06-2005, 08:02 AM
Connery

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually took a block of hardwood drilled a large hole through it and then cut it in half. I then glued some sandpaper into the groove and used that to sand the leading edge. Also did the same, but with a smaller initial hole drilled to round over the leading edges of the tail surfaces.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:05 AM
N8theSk8

Thanks alot for the tips guys! I was just concerned if I cupped my hand around the sandpaper, it would come out the wrong shape.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:21 AM
simark
My Feedback: (12)

I think the problem with just using finger pressure is that the sandpaper would tend to bite more into softer sections of the wood and you would end up with a wavy edge when you sight down the length of the leading edge. It would be hard to maintain a consistant sanding pressure.
The sanding block or better, one of the GP sanding bars insures that at least the sanded surfaces are straight.
I think that if you are somewhat close to the illustrated profile, that should be fine. Scale competeion models are jets might have to be more critical.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:41 AM
DamonTX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andyroo, I'm with you. A plain old sanding block will do the trick. I've just got this funny rule that whenever I go to round parts like leading & training edges I don't stop until I finish the part and also the corresponding part. For example, if I round the leading edge of the right wing then come back the next day to do the left wing, I have a heck of a time getting it just right. [&:]