Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Corsair Red Box Kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Corsair Red Box Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 07:20 AM
juggler-3310

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite Corsair Red Box Kit

Hello! I am new to this forum, and hope that someone here has the information that I am looking for. I recently purchased an old (1984) Top Flite F4U-1A Corsair red box kit, 61" wingspan. I emailed the seller before the auction ended and asked him if the kit was complete, and if any construction had been started on the plane. He claimed that the kit was complete, and that no construction had been started. He basically lied to me. The fuselage had been started. For those of you familiar with this kit, the previous owner checked off all of the boxes in steps 1 and 2 in the building directions book, and checked two of the boxes in step 3. The parts that are listed in these steps are missing from the kit. Since the partially constructed fueslage was not sent with the kit, I am missing many of the fuselage formers, and I am not able to build this kit without them. The drawings do not explicitly show the shape of the formers, so I can't even make them myself. I am missing fuselage formers F-1A through F-13A, and several other pieces that they attach to. I contacted Top Flite to ask them if they still had parts for this kit, or drawings of the formers so that I could build my own. They said that they didn't, and that I should post on this website to see if someone here had one of these kits. If you do have an unbuilt kit like this, could you xerox the sheets that contain the formers I'm missing and send them to me so that I can make my own? I would be very grateful if someone could do that, and I obviously would pay for the xerox costs and mailing costs for the copies. Or if you actually have the parts and would be willing to sell them? Thank you.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:19 AM
padoni
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Top Flite Corsair Red Box Kit

It's to bad you got lied to. I also had a bad experiance with a seller on E-bay. We are being such nice guys and dó not want to start problems, we just keep our mouthes shut and they (the bad guys ) do it to someone else. In the future I will make sure that jerks name and account # will be published here and any place else I can find. If that Jerk wants a cashiers check or money order, watch out! E-bay will not be able to help. Only if he uses Paypal. I am very disapointed with and in the future will buy very little from anyone selling on E-bay. There are many good reliable places to buy used or obsolete stuff, such as on RCU.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:01 AM
guyman
My Feedback: (13)

ain't it bummer when someone lies outright to you like that, i hate it - just tried to finish a personal computer for a young man that has attention deficit disorder and when i "bought" the 20gig harddrive, it was in "mint" condition, yea right, maybe after it had had the "mint" chewed out by some virus - anyhow, totally useless - i am expecting a redbox corsair in the mail sometime around monday/tuesday the 9th or 10th - i don't know how to go about getting a copy of the plans as you want - they are good size but would be willing to find a place to make a copy if your willing to pay for the cost and mailing - when i first started in this hobby, i wouldn't have made it this far without the great help from other flyers that i got - so i have no problem assisting when i can for others also - let me know if you know of any particular company that does copies of that size - i'm wondering if "kinkos" does - we have one of them here - let me know - cya guyman
Old 05-08-2005, 07:37 AM
juggler-3310

Cya, thank you for the offer to help out. I already have the building plans that you mentioned in your post, so I won't need you to go to kinko's to make copies of them. What I need are xerox copies of the actual parts themselves. I am missing fuselage formers F-1A through F-13A, and several other pieces that they attach to. I need xerox copies of the actual parts that are listed in steps 1 through 3 in the building directions book. Since there are no actual drawings of these parts on the plans, the only way that I can determine how to make them is to have someone make xerox copies of the parts themselves. I know that they do show outlines of some of these parts on the building plans, but this is only for alignment purposes. I can't tell from these outlines the actual shapes of some of the parts. You should be able to make your copies on a regular size copy machine. You may be able to get several parts copied onto one 8.5"x11"sheet. Please be certain to label each part with the correct identification number (F-1A, F-2A, etc.) on the xerox copies that you make so that I will be able to identify each one of them. If you are willing to do this, let me know what costs you will incur and I will send you the money to cover the costs. Thank you.

Art Reardon
Old 05-08-2005, 11:26 PM
guyman

okie dokie, i got it now - i will wait for the ship to get here and figure which will be the easiest or best way to get what you need - my wife and i are in the middle of buying a new home and most all of my "hanger" is packed - i have tons of extra balsa, shapes, sizes, etc. and could possibly cut an actual replica of the pieces in question and also label each piece as cut as to what part number it is - either that or like you said make just paper copies - either way i will be sure to include the thickness of each piece and any other pertinent info you need - if this sounds like a winner to you lets do one other thing - email me at my regular address as its quicker for me to go to than dig this thread back up - don't mind helping at all - below is my address -
guyman
[email protected]
Old 05-09-2005, 01:22 AM
dgiordano
My Feedback: (7)

I know this wont solve the issue you have with the present kit you have now, but I do have a royal 1/5 scale kit that is complete and in the original 2 boxes it came in. I bought it about 5 years ago at my local hobby shop when they told me it had been discontinued. It has been sitting in the rafters. If you are interested let me know
Old 05-09-2005, 01:59 AM
guyman

had a guy at our last tailgate swap meet at the local club looking for a corsair kit but didn't want the "gold edition" - if you don't hook up with juggler, what's your asking or bottom dollar and i'll see if he's intersted
Old 05-09-2005, 05:32 PM
dgiordano

to be honest i am not sure what it is worth. I paid like 375.00 for it. make me an offer
Old 05-09-2005, 09:12 PM
guyman

if you can give me a few days, i'll try and get ahold of him and see how much he wants to spend - thanks guyman
Old 05-10-2005, 01:09 AM
dgiordano

not a problem just let me know. And by the way this is a complete kit, box 1 has aluminum spun cowl and canopy and box 2 has all the wood and plans. If you want I will send you a picture of what I have.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:16 PM
guyman

ok,
i've left him a couple of messages since he didn't answer - let you know when he responds - thanks guyman
Old 05-10-2005, 12:17 PM
dgiordano

no problem. let me know
Old 05-11-2005, 06:08 AM
juggler-3310

Cya, I haven't gotten your messages at the email address that I gave you. I hope that I didn't spell it incorrectly. Try [email protected]. Dgiordano, I'd be interested in seeing the photographs of the royal 1/5 scale kit. You can send them to the email address listed here. Thanks for your help guys.

Art
Old 05-11-2005, 11:04 AM
dgiordano

i will send you those pictures tonite. my e-mail is [email protected]
Old 05-11-2005, 11:21 AM
guyman

got the corsair today - send me your part numbers and whatever else you can see that might be questionable - in case later something else does popup missing or not right, note my real email address and contact me that way and we'll get what you need - thanks guyman
[email protected]