Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Pass on some "How-To's"

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Pass on some "How-To's"

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 06:32 AM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pass on some "How-To's"

I think we all "learn by doing" and I only wish I had this kind of resource (RCU) to turn to for advice in the dark-ages. So I thought I could start this post by listing a few things, tools, tips, that are part of my building routine. I hope the REAL builders out there will chime in with some of their knowledge, so here goes....

I now inventory the parts and seperate them. Nothing breaks the flow of building like "Looking for a piece in puzzle of parts!

I try to keep the assembly area free of tools and little bits of this and that. even if I throw stuff on a shelf temporarily, it helps to look back at your progress instead of your mess.

Buy a good quality band saw and drill press. Sears stores always run tool sales and they even have re-built power tools at great prices.....maybe even a jig saw.

Sanding: I made a sanding stand, using 18" x 15" piece of plywood I cut in a guide slot and then added a 1" x 1/4" hardwood rail to use a guide for my t-bar sander. I then set a protractor at a right angle to the sander using a screw and washer. Now when I need to make balsa ends fit snug or a lap-joint I have the ability to sand it correctly. Also I think this was described in one of the R/C magazines...I'll look for it.

Well I hope that others will join in . THanks, Mikel-T

Old 05-09-2005, 11:28 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Pass on some "How-To's"

That is exactly why we have a tips and techniques secion in RCU. There are a lot of tips there. check them out.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:36 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Pass on some "How-To's"

There are also how-to's in the RCU Magazine.