Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG SE CG Problem

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG SE CG Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 06:03 PM
RDMoore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG SE CG Problem

Hi Guys,

I just finished my SE. I measured the CG but found it to be back from the recoomended spot 1". Instead of 3 1/2" it was 4 1/2". I really don't want to add lead to the plane unless I have to. Should I add the lead or should it fly fine?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 05-09-2005, 06:16 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: SIG SE CG Problem

Look at moving your battery and receiver forward first before adding weight. You should be able to do a lot that way.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:25 AM
khlash
My Feedback: (6)

I had to add about 1 1/2 oz. of lead to the firewall of mine, and that was with an Irvine .53 The battery was already as far forward as it could go and I needed to have easy access to removing it (li-on) so my options were limited. I'd say it could still use another 1/2 oz but I just cant bring myself to add more. I definitely wouldnt try flying it that tail heavy for your first flights.

Khlash
Old 05-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will be fine at that CG. I moved my Irvine .53 all the way back on the mount, moved the battery back, and added tail weight to make mine more aerobatic. It flys just fine, just make sure you use low rate elevator on your landings or they get a little bouncy. I eventuallly moved my rudder servo to the tail, put an Irvine .61 on for power bought carbon fiber landing gear, and still added tail weight. Knife edge is much better and it will flat spin like no tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:12 AM
jspencer
My Feedback: (6)

Not sure how these guys are coming out so tail heavy before adding weight. I have lighter landing gear then the stock and the only thing that is different then in the picture is that the battery is directly under the Rx and it still not even close to tail heavy. Flat spins are definitely not flat (nose down attitude) and knife edge isn't bad, but not great. If I could push the battery back a little more I would, but I'm back as far as I can go without cutting something up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18900.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	269480  
Old 05-10-2005, 09:14 PM
fred123

Would suggest you do not fly with the CG that far back on your first flight. Would try spinner wieghts that can be easly removed later and put the battery as far forward as you can get it.. Start with very conservative throws at first..Fred123[&:]