Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kit for an Extra, Edge, Yak, Cap, etc

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kit for an Extra, Edge, Yak, Cap, etc

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Frankenthumb
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kit for an Extra, Edge, Yak, Cap, etc

Hey all,

I've finally got some time on my hands and I want to build another kit. I've done lots of ARF's lately and I want to build something again.

What I'm looking for is a kit of an unlimited aerobat, like an Extra (my personal favorite), an Edge (a close second) a Yak, a Cap, or the like. I have a YS 110 that needs a home. I'm looking for something that is "3D-able" and that will have unlimited vert with this powerplant. Probably something 6-7 pounds AUW. I also have an OS 160FX that I could use if there isn't anything for the YS available.

Thanks for the input!
Old 05-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Kit for an Extra, Edge, Yak, Cap, etc

Noone really makes a scale 3D plane in the size you want. There are plenty of 60 size kits that you can stuff your 110 engine into for unlimited vertical performance. But, I don't know of any that are designed to do 3D right outta the box.

You can modify just about any kit to suite your needs. I suspect that any Extra, Edge, Cap etc.. in a 60 size frame could be modified to make it a 3D machine.

OMP Models makes a few profiles. They have a 50" Ultimate 10-300 and a 65" Yak. Both profiles and under 8 pounds.

Great Planes Extra .60 size

Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Biplane

Midwest little Cap 232 in a 60 size--but IMO--too expensive for what it is.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:45 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

I would go with the Goldberg Ultimate. Your YS 1.10 will probably have enough power for 3D and unlimited airbatics. With that being said, I haven't built one, but I have heard a lot of good things about it. It's designed by Dave Patrick and that is a very good thing.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:37 AM
Frankenthumb
My Feedback: (2)

I love the OMP profiles, but I want to do one with a full fuselage.

I did build one of the GP Extra's, it was a fine kit but it was way too heavy (as has been my experience with just about all GP kits)

The Goldberg Ultimate is a possibility. . . hhhmmmm. . . . I just sold my Patrick 1.20 size Ulty to raise money for a DA 100 though. I wonder if I'd be happy flying a smaller Ulty?

I was hoping that someone had run across a small outfit that is putting out kits, like "Billy Bob's Beauty Supply and Airplane Kits" of something. I've seen a few outfits like that putting out electric kits, but not really any for glow stuff.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Scott G

I have a 72" Extra kit that I bought off of a club member. The manufacturer was a company called Ohio R/C (out of business now). I don't think they had any relation with Ohio Model Planes. In any event you might be able to find one of their kits on this site or the other auction site...

scott.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:24 PM
Aardvark

Built a GP Extra 300S .60 size over winter. Its quite a build but well worth it. Put a 1.20 fourstroke in and its just about right. Did glass the u/c mount rails in mine.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:36 PM
jspencer
My Feedback: (6)

[link]http://www.powerlinehobbies.com/[/link]

They have an Edge 540 90 that might work for you (It's an ARF though). Take a look on ebay and you may be able to pick one up for 170-200. I have the eagle 3D and it seems to be a decent model for what I paid for it.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:26 AM
dennis18

Try looking at D&L designs for a kit. I'm building his 60 size Edge 540 and putting a Saito 100 on it.
http://www.dldesigns.net
Old 05-17-2005, 03:30 PM
jspencer
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: dennis18

Try looking at D&L designs for a kit. I'm building his 60 size Edge 540 and putting a Saito 100 on it.
http://www.dldesigns.net
I've heard good things about this one too!