Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Mountain Modles Tantrum

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Mountain Modles Tantrum

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 07:07 AM
RVator
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mountain Modles Tantrum

I just started working on a Mountain Models Tantrum yesturday. The kit is laser cut with most parts being interlocking. It is going to be a fast build. In less than an hour I had the tail and ailerons done plus laid out one wing. I will post some pics later.
http://www.mountainmodels.com/
Old 05-15-2005, 06:44 PM
flmlm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mountain Modles Tantrum

RVator,

I'm sure you'll love the Tantrum. I've been thinking about getting one but my slimers have been getting in the way. Your right on the fast build. I've built both the Dandy with the GT wing and the Smoothe with the sport wing. Mountain Models kits really are a breeze to build and they fly great. What type of power plant are you going to use on your Tantrum?

Regards
Mike
Old 05-15-2005, 07:52 PM
RVator

I am going to recycle the stuff I had in my Northeast Sailplanes Mamba MPJet 25/35 4:1 castle 25 speed controller,berg 5 channel,3s 2100 thunder power and hitec 55's. I used a 10x7 on the Mamba will try a 11x3.8 slo flyer on this first. Wings and tail are done,ready for the fuse. I will be working long hours this week on our yearly maintence outage so I might not get much done for a week. I need to order some covering anyway. I am going to use transparent Ultra Cote.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72926.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	271914  
Old 05-16-2005, 01:16 PM
flmlm

RVator,

You've got a good jump on the Tantrum! Sounds like everything is lined up and ready to go. Urrrggg, I hate having a good project going on and having work interrupt it! [:'(].

Regards
Mike
Old 05-16-2005, 08:44 PM
RVator

This is a good little project to have going because I enfoy spending a few minutes on it in the morning before work. If I can just fit some parts up or maybe glue up a few parts it keeps it moving forward. I have started the fuse already.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:54 PM
RVator

Well my Tantrum is almost ready to fly. I need to set the throws and balance and it should be ready. I used transparent Ultra Cote to cover it. I liked it and will use it again.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:52 AM
RVator

Here are a few pics. It is ready to fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49113.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	278552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34309.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	278553  
Old 06-01-2005, 05:57 PM
flmlm

RVator,

Your build has come out well looks great. I really like the color scheme, however, I've noticed that I sometimes have problems with orientation with translucent film. You might consider putting a stripe or decal on the bottom or top side of the wing, just a thought and good luck on the maiden.

Regards
Mike
Old 06-02-2005, 03:00 PM
RVator

Yea you right about the transparent covering. The bottom of the fuse is oranage so it does help. Its raining today so maybe by Sunday I can try it out. I saw an add in the new Fly R/C mag about a new kit from MM that looks like a Mini Funtana. That may be next!
Old 06-04-2005, 06:23 PM
RVator

Well I got to fly it today and it flew great. I am using an older Futaba 6x that does not have expo and boy does the elevator need some. The first landing broke the gear mount but that was all. I reduced my low and high rates and fly it again and just landed on the belly. I knew the gear was weak and my flight equipment is a little too heavy, 13 oz minus the airframe. But it has good slow speed and tracks nice.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:55 PM
flmlm

Cogradz on the maiden, good to hear that things went fairly well. Are you flying off a grass field? I really haven't heard of any gear failure on the Tantrum before. did the gear break inside the fuselage?

Regards
Mike
Old 06-05-2005, 08:40 PM
bipeaddict

Did I read your post correctly. Did you really use Ultracote? If you did there was some weight gain. I used Solite on mine.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:56 PM
RVator

Yea I used tranparent Ultra Cote. I know it would weigh a little more but how much more? I fly off of grass and hand launch. The balsa plate that faces the back broke. I really like the model and will fly it some more Wed.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:48 PM
flmlm

Rvator,

I as well have covered a Dandy and a Smoothe with Ultra Cote except for the upper half of the wing and the fuselage (Solite). I've never really had a weight issue with this process. In addition I've really never had a weight problem with any of my Mountain Models kits. Perhaps I've just so over powered them with brushless power that I haven't noticed a difference.

I generally hand launch when flying over grass and haven't had a gear problem except for tightening up the gear bolt after landing so that's why I asked. On asphalt I launch from the roadway and have never experienced a gear failure. The only structure failure I've ever experienced is to the front two formers after a rough landing, nose first, landing eerrr crash.....

Good luck on Wednesday,

Regards
Mike