Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP Cub 40

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP Cub 40

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 02:00 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GP Cub 40

My wife picked up a GP Cub 40 and brought me when she returned from an overseas trip. At a glance, it looks like a nice kit but I was wondering what comments there were on it.

I suppose a small-ish 4-stroke would be the way to go for a Cub? What is the best option here?

I find very few build comments on this Cub here. Anything to be aware of?

Thanks in advance

Ari
Old 05-16-2005, 03:28 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: GP Cub 40

I built one for a friend several years ago as a clipped wing version. It flew very well and was an easy build. It looks more scale than the Carl Goldberg Cub but it isn't as rugged. My Buddy destroyed the plane the 1st time he tried to solo it I would say a .50 to .70 4-stroke would be very nice in the plane.
Have fun with the Build!!!
Anthony
Old 05-16-2005, 06:17 PM
rlarkin70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i built one and have over 50 flights on it now. I have a Saito 72 in mine but that is overkill, fly it mostly at half throttle. covered in koverall and nitrate and painted. its not very scale, but it seems to be overengineered so there is enough wood in the right places. i ran mine off the side of the runway once doing a touch and go. only damage was a landing gear "fairing" that pulled one of its mounting screws out. flys like a cub, including the tricky ground handling. but its fun to practice rudder flying on, and is lots of fun to land. the build was straightforward, the only change I made was to go with dual aileron servos. have fun!
-ron

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31993.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	272382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91491.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	272383  
Old 05-16-2005, 07:50 PM
DaveB

Built one a few years back and fly it occasionally. Flys O.K. but as previously mentioned, the ground handling can be a little tricky.
I powered mine with the OS-52 4 stroke which is a good match. I would encourage you to power the Cub with a 4 stroke. They cost a little more, but it's worth the difference.

DaveB
Old 05-16-2005, 09:11 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ditto what Dave B said about 4-strokes in a Cub. They just scream for an engine that can just putt along. A .56 Saito is a good match for the 40 size GP Cub. I fly a 1/5 scale Sig Cub with a .65, and it does great; the plane weighs 10 pounds.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:29 PM
lukeshort

I fly mine with an OS 52 four stroke and it seems like a very good match. I get nice comments at the feild as it is quite scale-like and is a pretty plane. Not my best flyer though. Cross wind take offs and landings I avoid. Whether on the ground or in the air I have to give it full attention. Still, I fly it a lot and consider it a fun plane.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:54 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Another vote for Saito .56 or OS .52 4-stroke. If you decide to build the clipped wing, and wring it out alot, you might go up to a .70 or .72, but for full size wing, stick with the smaller size engine. You can fly it with .40 4-stroke, but might want more umph. Lots of people say to go w/ clipped wing, but it depends on what you want to do with it. I think the longer wing looks better, and if you want to do aerobatics, bring out a different plane (just my opinion). I love cubs, don't know why, they just look cool. Post some pics when you start your build. Have you picked out your covering yet?

Pilgrim
Old 05-17-2005, 09:47 AM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

I have a Saito 60 twin in my GP Cub. It is a perfect match and the engine looks great sticking out of the cowl. Needless to say the sound is very realistic.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:26 PM
FlyingPilgrim

You can't get any better than that! How did balance work out with the extra weight of the twin, and did you split the cowl for removal? Love to see pics if available.

Pilgrim
Old 05-17-2005, 12:39 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Balance worked out perfectly. I got a longer fiberglas cowl from Fiber Specialities and split it horizontally at the center of the cylinders. I'll see if I can find any picts.

Rich

------------------------

Wyoming Wind Festival Jan 1 to Dec 31
Old 05-17-2005, 02:09 PM
apalsson

Thanks for all the comments,

I had been thinking that a 52 FS would be a good choice. Full or clipped wing, I still haven't decided. I like the looks of a full wing but a lot of people seem to prefer the clipped version.
Guess I have planty of time to decide because I have several other projects I want to finish before tackling the Cub

Ari
Old 05-18-2005, 05:54 AM
ysrcflyer

I just maidened my GP 40 Cub the other day. I went with a YS63fz. I built it with clipped wings and dual aileron servos. It will just putt around at 1/4 throttle, very relaxing. I was flying in a 10-12 MPH wind and had it standing still at an almost idle. As far as building it went together very straightforward, the only problem I had was the openings for the side windows were larger than the window flanges. I had to add some stock to sides of frames to make openings smaller. I have not flown it yet with the floats-possibly in the next couple of weeks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39794.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	273087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89535.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	273088  
Old 05-18-2005, 09:27 AM
FlyingPilgrim

Nice job! That color scheme will show up nicely, too. Did you use fabric?
Old 05-18-2005, 01:28 PM
jagnweiner

Ari-

I built the .60 size version, which from my understanding is pretty similar to the .40. It is powered with a Saito .91, which is plenty of power. I would agree with the others that a .72 would probably provide plenty of power and a .56 would be adequate. If there wasn't much price difference, I would go with the .72, just because it is a little more versatile size.

As far as tips, replace the tailwheel assembly with a Sullivan or Dubro unit. I haven't yet, but will at some point. Ground handling is difficult on pavement, but that is the case with any Cub. It is much easier on grass. I didn't bother with the ABS cowl, I ordered a fiberglass one from Stan's Fibertech with the dummy engine molded in.

Mine came out a little tail heavy. I'm not sure if that is unique to the .60 size. Unfortunately, I glued the servo tray in place before I balanced. I probably could have solved most of that problem by mounting the servos farther forward.

It's a great plane to build and fly.

Have fun!

Scott
Old 05-19-2005, 01:22 PM
apalsson

All,

Yesterday, I found a Magnum 52FS in my LHS that they were willing to sell me for AUD$180 (US$135).
Since I figured this is a very good price, I bought it and will most likely use for the Cub.

I realise this is the lower end of what has been recommended but for a full wing scale type Cub, should be pretty good?

Ari
Old 05-19-2005, 01:31 PM
jagnweiner

Ari-

The .52 should be fine for scale flight. With the full wing, you have plenty of lift. Just don't plan on a whole lot of vertical performance. Have fun!

-Scott
Old 05-19-2005, 01:51 PM
apalsson

HI Scott,

I don't see the Cub doing much vertical (unless it's vertical down )
For vertical performance, I prefer my Chipmunks like the one in my avatar or other aerobatic planes.

Anyhow, I have never had a Cub before and figured I might build one that resembled the full size. Don't know if I'll like it but there's only one way to find out.

Regards

Ari
Old 05-19-2005, 01:58 PM
jagnweiner

Ari-

True. I've seen pics of your Chipmunks and they are nice planes. Cubs are not designed for vertical performance. My only point is that you probably won't be able to do maneuvers like outside loops, and for inside loops you might need to dive a little to build up airspeed. While I agree that other planes are much better suited to these tasks, Cubs can certainly do them with enough power.

I think you will enjoy the Cub. My brother has a full scale Cub and in the air, with a 4 stroke, the model is just like the real thing.

-Scott
Old 05-19-2005, 11:50 PM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

I bought mine already built from the son of the builder that had passed away. It came with an O.S. .70 four stroke in it which sounds great in this plane. When I fly mine it always seems like it gets squirley on me on about every third takeoff. It really likes to ground loop! Landings are a bit easier but you still have to stay on top of it as it has a tendancy to want to nose over when landing in grass. I haven't flipped mine on landing yet (knock on wood) but the tail has tried to come up on me more than a couple times. Not a problem as long as you are ready for it.

It is definitely harder than a trainer on the ground. In the air, using coordinated rudder in the turns is the best way to get a scale-looking flight. Otherwise it has a tendancy to yaw in turns and drop its nose.

I take mine out when I feel like more of a challange. Some planes make you look like a good pilot. This one challanges you to make the plane look like you know what you are doing. Done right, it can be very rewarding.

I also suggest going with dual aileron servos. Mine has the stock, bellcrank setup and it allows for too much play in the ailerons.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:04 AM
ysrcflyer

Flying Pilgram: All monoKote.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:19 AM
rlarkin70

FlyerBry-
I agree with you 100%. you really do need to stay on top of the Cub on takeoff especially. it seems like the first 30 feet or so of the take off run until you get the tail up is the critical stage. I used to have to abort take off runs regularly and circle back to try again. I have found that a VERY gradual application of throttle, and then gentle rudder correction INSTANTLY when it goes off center is the key. If you get behind, throttle back and abort, or your take off will look frightening. Ive yanked mine off the ground a couple times, or taken off the side of the runway and man does it look like Im a hacker out there. =) But now that I have the hang of it I can take off 9/10 times straight down the runway and gently lift off, it sure does feel and look sweet. But its always that last flight of the day that I get lazy or lose concentration, and bam...she bites me in the butt.
Landings are pretty good to me. I fly off a grass field, not too long, not very short. I really like to slow it down and bring it in on the mains for a second or two before it settles down. I have not nosed it over yet. (knock wood)
-ron
Old 05-27-2005, 08:00 AM
waagbuck

I have built two of these kits - one with the full wing and one with the clipped wing. I flew the first one with an os 61 fx. That was way too much -- we use to call it the jet. The second one I used an os 70 surpass. It's great engine and a good match for this plane as long as you can get your idle very low. I had one day at the field where the plane floated by me three or four times before I could get it to land. I had very few problems with ground loops on take off except after a hard landing that splayed my gear a little bit and gave it a toe-out effect. Definitely make sure you have a little toe-in, ease on the throttle, and gently lift off.

I now have a world models clipped wing ARF .48 cub with a 52 surpass. That's a nice plane too. They've just come out with a slightly bigger cub ARF that is very close in size to the GP 40 size, and they have it in both clipped and full wing in the yellow and sunburst color scheme. If you're looking for a cub and don't want a kit, I would take a look at it.