Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Coverite 21st Century Fabric vs. Solartex vs. Worldtex

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Coverite 21st Century Fabric vs. Solartex vs. Worldtex

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 08:14 PM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coverite 21st Century Fabric vs. Solartex vs. Worldtex

I am putting together a Sig 1/3 scale Spacewalker and I am wondering which is the better covering to work with. I know that this may boil down to a Ford or Chevy debate, but I would like to hear peoples opinion that have worked with each and their pros and cons. I have a Hanger 9 Super Cub and it is covered in Worldtex. Looks OK, but I am wondering what will be easier to paint the sunburst pattern on and look the best. Thanks in advance.

Lee
Old 05-18-2005, 09:55 PM
tom johnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Coverite 21st Century Fabric vs. Solartex vs. Worldtex

Solartex or Worldtex hands down!
Old 05-18-2005, 10:23 PM
campbec

Hi Lee,

I have used Solartex with great results. It is very easy to use and for compound curves is an absolute joy. I have never used 21st Cent but have read other posts where users have not liked it as much as Solartex.

I believe Worldtex is Solartex marketed under a different name.

My vote is for Solartex/Worldtex. You will need to seal the weave with a clear to keep out the oil residue/dirt staining the fabric if you are using anything other than a gasser or electric. I have used dope for this with no problem but have read clear polyurethane, (water based), is easy to apply, if well cured will handle up to 10% nitro ok and doesn't yellow.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 05-19-2005, 07:48 AM
DrDeath

Thanks Colin,

How is the weather down under? Guess you guys are getting ready for winter! I was lucky enough to spend a month back in July of 94 in your fair country. The people were GREAT! I spent time at Adelaide, Canberra and Sydney. Interesting that you guys eat two of your national symbols (Kangaroo and Emu). If I remember correctly its because they can't walk backwords and Austrailia is moving foward. By the way, they do taste really really good especially Kangroo steaks! Reminds me a little bit like Bison over here in the states. Really really lean, not gamey and really really good medium rare!!!![sm=thumbup.gif]

Based on what everyone is saying, I think I will go with the Worldtex/Solartex fabric covering. I haven't decided on the Red/Black scheme or the Yellow/Red scheme. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:09 PM
campbec

Hi Dr Death,

The part of Australia that I live in is on the east coast about half way between Brisbane and Sydney. Autumn/Winter is dryer than Spring/Summer with about three weeks of cold windy weather. Nothing like your part of the Northern hemisphere we can fly all year round and usually in shorts and a tee shirt.

Long story about roos and emus but the drastic changes to the landscape with massive clearing for cropping and grazing has seen enormous increases in their numbers to the extent they impact on agricultural activities and are then subject to culling programs.

Loved your site, my younger son is in the Australian airforce (RAAF). I'm sure you will be happy with the Solartex.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 05-19-2005, 08:48 PM
DrDeath

Thanks Colin for the compliment on my website. I have to get off of my butt and update it! I have three projects that have been completed since the last time I updated! I finished a Funtana 90 and been flying the heck out of it and I have a modified Twinstar. I put flaps on the plane and two Thunder Tiger 36s, but I haven't had time to maiden it yet. Now I have the Spacewalker to add to the site. I was off today playing in a golf tourney and I will be off tomorrow. I was going to go flying, but it is suppose to rain all day so I will work on the Spacewalker.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Lee
Old 05-22-2005, 11:16 AM
DrDeath

Build is on HOLD! Stupid me sliced my thumb open with a number 11 xacto knife on F. Sliced about 3 to 4 mm deep and about an inch and a half long. RIGHT THROUGH THE THUMBNAIL[:@]. From the tip to just past the nail! Guess what, sharp #11 xactos that slice through your thumb and nail doesn't hurt until after they put the stitches in. Eight to be exact. Plus the tetanus shot in my left shoulder hurts like the dickins and has stiffened up.

So, flying is out since I use my thumbs, building is out and golf is out! This sucks! I might do some sanding and some building up of the firewall. Don't need two hand for that. By the way, the simplest things are really difficult.

I am such a DOLT!
Old 05-22-2005, 04:12 PM
GAP-RCU

You're not a dolt.... you're just an "experienced" builder.

Surely, you can whip out the credit card, work the keyboard, and started stocking up on good stuff you'll need for the next project. That will make you feel better in no time!

Get better... Gary
Old 05-22-2005, 08:55 PM
campbec

Hi Lee,

Sorry about the thumb. However you have now taken part in the arcane blood sacrifice of bonding with your model. It is something we all do eventually.

Hope you heal rapidly. I agree the stitches and the local hurt more than the original injury.

Cheers,

Colin